The various media things are listed here, of course. What’s not listed is a sudden and unexpected day full of geekery that began at 0100 on (Good) Friday and ran well into the evening. A server software upgrade went pear-shaped. and I had to coordinate work between the server team in India and the data centre team in the US. Given that they had different responsibilities and authorities, I had to sign off on their plans. There’s some lessons in there that’d make an interesting blog post — but not yet.
- Microsoft’s Melbourne tests confirm: counterfeit software a security risk, ZDNet Australia, 27 March 2013.
- Summly sale storytelling hides horrible home truths, ZDNet Australia, 28 March 2013.
- On Monday I gave a guest lecture at University of Technology Sydney. That’s not really media, I suppose, but the audience comprised media studies students.
- On Tuesday night I spoke about Yahoo!, Summly and more on ABC Local Radio.
- On Thursday night I spoke about DDoS attacks and exaggeration on ABC TV’s The Business.
- On Saturday morning I spoke about DDoS attacks and exaggeration again, this time on ABC News24′s Weekend Breakfast. I don’t have a recording of that.
- On Monday, I paid a visit to Vertel in Alexandria, Sydney, to find out about what they can do with high-speed wireless internet links. They offered me a beer. I accepted. It was a Peroni. It was rather nice.
The Week Ahead
This’ll be an interesting one because tomorrow, which is both the public holiday for Easter Monday and the start of a new quarter, I’m planning to kick off a series of changes in my little world. Or at least try to. I’ll write about that tomorrow
I’ve also got plenty of writing lined up, including two pieces for Technology Spectator, one for CSO Online, one for Crikey and my usual column for ZDNet. This both pleases and stresses me. I may rearrange this a bit, because that’s rather a lot for a short week.
At this stage it’s looking like I’ll be in Wentworth Falls for the first part of the week, before heading down to Sydney on Friday morning to record Marc Fennell’s Download This Show for ABC Radio National.
[Photo: Shut up, I'm eating this flower, yet another photograph of a crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans) at Bunjaree Cottages. I feel like I've posted a few too many Bunjaree bird photos lately, but I couldn't resist the seemingly-cheeky look this guy threw me while he ripped apart and ate the eating a mountain devil (Lambertia formosa) flowers from a nearby plant.]
[Update 1 April 2013, 1145 AEDT: Updated the ETA for the post about my plans to reflect the unfolding reality.]