February 10th, 2015

@Pollytics @NewtonMark They’ll send drones, don’t worry.

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@Spoonyman @robmanuel Isn’t it just. They were strange times.

via TweetDeck in reply to Spoonyman

@Pollytics @NewtonMark “We’ll be plagued by digital swarms of whining Pynedroids, slimy Weinerbots, and worse” zdnet.com/article/prepar…

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@Pollytics @NewtonMark You’ll be caught in a traffic jam, and a smartphone app pops up a friendly critter to tell you it’s Labor’s fault.

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@Pollytics @NewtonMark That’ll happen next election. Custom chatbots, talking at you, topics set by the party’s voter database.

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

robmanuel Odd Jimmy Savile ad we found in Mirror archives.
As far as I know, not on the web previously
usvsth3m.com/post/this-1977… pic.twitter.com/TtxXbw8tJ4

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 10:43 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Settling the alarm for 0500.

@Pollytics @NewtonMark Oh. I never learned the fingered whistle. I just purse my lips and blow.

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@Pollytics @NewtonMark If he’d had them he’d have used them, too. The little fucker was going to arc up on me.

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@markc Damn, that’s a fine punchline. I shall retweet the photo tomorrow with that caption and pretend it was me.

via TweetDeck in reply to markc

@NewtonMark That’s before @Pollytics got all uppity, like this “Come at me, bro!” specimen. pic.twitter.com/3LkzJiRYYO

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

And now I am back at @bunjaree, to grab a few hours sleep before doing the whole thing again.

The bustling central business district of Wentworth Falls instagram.com/p/y6ybj6iFje/

I alight, and the continues into the night… instagram.com/p/y6xwyqCFiw/

via Instagram

SkyNews Dutch cannabis growers are reportedly being caught by police - thanks to melting snow trib.al/J6CdIaV pic.twitter.com/5Uf7tInTLE

via SocialFlow (retweeted on 9:41 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

When pressed by reporters on whether it was a tender process or not, Mr Andrews replied: “I will use the words I choose to use.”

Earlier I saw someone write “Defence Minister Kevin Andrews” and I started laughing. And then I remembered, and stopped laughing.

@RealNickHodge They are all arseholes, each and every one.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to RealNickHodge

Nearly squeezed it out there now, Joe? pic.twitter.com/qWzkAhM9Ps

Still no submarine. I am originally from South Australia, you know, Tony.

I recommend @Pollytics’ current rant.

johnb78 Very bad owls indeed. RT @cheshireb: RT [priv] worst owls: 41.media.tumblr.com/418aa403e42b57… Those are some terrible owls

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 8:57 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Nick_Xenophon Say it ain’t so, @JoeHockey! You told @abc730 Labor controls Senate crossbenchers - they wish!

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 8:53 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

I say, @deptofaustralia is very good today. As are the sight lines in the photo. pic.twitter.com/wGdATrR07r

Just excuse me a moment while I add your latest fucktard movie-title game hashtag to my mute filters.

I’ve checked my voicemail. No submarine.

ThePoke Is that an artisan sourdough baguette in your pocket? We want your today.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 8:20 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

joshgnosis The govt is pushing ahead with its e-safety commissioner despite Twitter revealing police don’t use existing powers. zdnet.com/article/govern…

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 8:11 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

PatsKarvelas Good government: Day 2 - RN Drive - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) abc.net.au/radionational/…

via Mobile Web (retweeted on 8:08 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@SnarkyPlatypus Well, it is in transition. There’s a complex socio-geographic process going on.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@_ouisa I like where you’re going with this.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to _ouisa

Behold, the 2018 Lithgow service, waiting patiently at Sydney Central station platform 6 instagram.com/p/y6hgKxCFki/

via Instagram

@troyhunt @FSecure Oh excellent. I’m looking forward to how much and how deeply you scare these folks tomorrow morning.

via TweetDeck in reply to troyhunt

If privacy is dead, @JonoH, explain why you still close the cubicle door when using a hotel bathroom. @aqualung @kcarruthers

via TweetDeck in reply to aqualung

@SimonDorrat True. I’ve verballed you. If you’re still around over drinks, I’ll explain the context.

via TweetDeck in reply to SimonDorrat

I hadn’t realised anyone had actually done this. instagram.com/p/y6S7hqiFp8/

via Instagram

This is the image from @xor that @kcarruthers just had on screen. pic.twitter.com/6rCc7MOxyV

And now @kcarruthers plugs the Privacy by Design movement. privacybydesign.ca

And now @kcarruthers is scaring everybody with Refrigergeddon. Excellent.

@RealNickHodge @kcarruthers @SnarkyPlatypus It’s like @jturner_ibrs: if he sees me in the audience, he does a pre-emptive reverse heckle.

via TweetDeck in reply to RealNickHodge

So @kcarruthers just asked a raise-your-hands question of the audience. I raised my hand. She told me to shut up.

People should read the article on the screen behind @kcarruthers instagram.com/p/y6RfW6CFox/

via Instagram

It would certainly be like @kcarruthers to call for that sort of thing.

I think @kcarruthers just called for pacemakers to have DRM, so if you don’t pay your monthly maintenance fees they turn it off.

KetanJ0 Blade Runner

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 5:19 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

keranm “The expectation of teenagers today is that wifi is just everywhere” @kcarruthers pic.twitter.com/NRdWRYToJq

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 5:19 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Important point from @kcarruthers: IoT devices means business APIs can be daisy-chained together, so risk is daisy-chained too.

RT @SnarkyPlatypus: I put it flat against the reader, but I don’t rub it as such. [I see.]

Next up: @kcarruthers, business intelligence and data governance bod, UNSW.

@paulwallbank There’s not a lot of new new new, sure, but it’s a decent overview of the state of the art.

via TweetDeck in reply to paulwallbank

RT @R_Chirgwin: I saw a very similar list about computers and vehicles from Hewlett Packard in about 1996. [Hah! ]

RT @elronxenu: So much of it seems to be about ways our devices can help the vendor, not us. [Yes. ]

Sorry, I am meant to be typing “Dorratt”, not “Dorritt”. That’s screw up your searches.

@drzax Sorry, brevity was not grumpiness. Just trying to focus on what he’s saying. The pics I have are the pics I posted.

via TweetDeck in reply to drzax

Dorritt: “I won’t say ‘fail fast’, because I don’t think failure should be a goal.”

Culture and process stuff around telematics at Toyota. instagram.com/p/y6O9f7CFmn/

via Instagram

@drzax The answers respectively are “No” and “Scroll back a bit”.

via TweetDeck in reply to drzax

keranm “Toyota want to use the data from your car to market aftermarket upgrades to you” - Toyota AU pic.twitter.com/HXL8xl3F0s

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 4:59 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Challenges to overcome to deliver on this. instagram.com/p/y6Oi3xCFmD/

Opportunities for vehicle telematics. instagram.com/p/y6OYjOiFl6/

RT @kcarruthers: Where is @stilgherrian? [Main theatre, audience front left.]

Toyota’s Franchise of the Future strategy. instagram.com/p/y6N-zWiFll/

via Instagram

@DrewBroadley @PaulGreenwell I have no idea what you’re trying to say by that.

via TweetDeck in reply to DrewBroadley

keranm “75,000 Toyota vehicles on the road in AU collecting data and sharing it via the drivers smart phone” - do the customers know that?

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 4:52 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

So this is where I throw in my usual plea. This isn’t just about cool technology and money. It’s also about society and power.

Anybody holding up Uber as a model for “success” is implicitly deciding that “being an utter arsehole” doesn’t matter.

After a sensible intro, Dorritt is using Uber as the inevitable example of “good” because he can’t wait for a taxi. Sigh.

Toyota is using the term “rivers of data”. Having seen the security of car tech I’m predicting more “mountains of highway carnage”.

Next up: Simon Dorratt, Strategy, Architecture & Innovation, Toyota Australia, on their rivers of data.

@cefiar I shan’t be clicking on that while in the conference session.

via Twitter Web Client in reply to cefiar

fanfiction_txt “NO! GIVING CHILDREN VACCINES IS HORRIBLE! I WOULD NEVER VACATE MY CHILDREN” mario shouted. peach was taken aback.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 4:36 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

On stage now is Paul Greenwell, platform strategy manager at MYOB. “Don’t pull on my shirt.”

Dropping back into the main room for the last of today’s APIdays Sydney sessions. syd.apidays.io

Valerie, call on me. Call on me, Valerie, come and see me. I’m the same boy I used to be.

@monsieurarion Close. National ICT Australia, a computing science and technology incubator.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to monsieurarion

@paulkidd I actually knew that. This is a little worrying.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to paulkidd

RT @deconstructo: What have I done to deserve the opening riff of Van Halen’s Jump play continuously in my head? [Everybody worm this!]

Colvinius Imma let you finish but PJK had one of the best leadership challenges of all time.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 4:13 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Where the traffic jams are made instagram.com/p/y6IaG4iFv0/

via Instagram

This @kcarruthers person had better be good, because any conference that runs actual sessions past 1700 is Hitler.

In the middle of my afternoon brain-slump. I might just wander around ATP for a while, then catch @kcarruthers’ presentation at 1710.

yinettesys List ten things that aren’t Jackie Chan

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 3:48 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Earth_Pics LOOK AT THE SEALS FACE THO 😭 pic.twitter.com/uxIXSEx6uV

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 3:47 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@sylmobile How about “That’s as stupid as saying ‘Labor coal’”?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to sylmobile

RondelleHobbs My advice to young journalists is to write down every word you know then arrange as appropriate.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 3:37 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Another excellent image from @mpbowers, which I shall call “Adult Government” theguardian.com/australia-news… pic.twitter.com/t541nHLHoK

joshgnosis The Federal Court suggested I could email them my credit card details to pay for docs I wanted. I don’t think ‘no’ is a strong enough word.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 3:31 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

bigmac How to get millennials excited about coming to work in your office | Idealog buff.ly/1KCxElH [you wanna keep your job? *slap*]

via Buffer (retweeted on 3:07 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

saamato “Why don’t you focus on chillin’ the fuck out?” - @OHnewsroom

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 3:05 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Is that duck auditioning for @danger5tv? His name is Patricia and he speaks only Swahili.

dobes Are the ALP giving Turnbull dixers to make him look good?!?

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 3:00 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Something about pants.

Watch out, only 3% to 5% of devs have security training. instagram.com/p/y6AzT3CFnm/

via Instagram

You can’t just deny service to your customers and partners, says Wermut. instagram.com/p/y6All8iFnZ/

via Instagram

@oberonsghost @ClintonDucas @jadacormier Also, this entire day is making be think of bees. No, with bees. Everything is bees.

via TweetDeck in reply to oberonsghost

@dobes He’s already in Parliament. We just need him to own up to it. See my tweet here. crikey.com.au/2015/01/23/tip…

via TweetDeck in reply to dobes

@oberonsghost @ClintonDucas @jadacormier Except that it’s API-itis. So I’d go that way, hyphenated with two Is.

via TweetDeck in reply to oberonsghost

First one is important, though: Are you running your business’ APIs as projects or products? Do you even have a strategy?

Wermut’s presentation will be easy to digest, ‘cos it’s a list of clues. May wait for the slides and not tweet it now.

RT @jadacormier: New buzzword! ‘Apitis’from Joel Wermut at pic.twitter.com/M6lbS5Nl9t

Next up: Joel Wermut from Versent on “The Symptoms and Treatment of APItus”

murpharoo Christ.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 2:41 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @dobes: Far-and-away, Turnbull is the best performer at the dispatch boxes on either side [Big call. Sydney Harbour Seal would pwn him.]

deviantglobal “Rather than a middle-class mecca… Parklands is a 1,700-acre dystopia of vacant lots and apartment structures”: nytimes.com/2015/02/10/nyr…

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 2:38 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

mamund slides, credits, links for today’s “Liberating the API Economy” talk @APIdaysSydney b.mamund.com/1uxT0Ni pic.twitter.com/EB2xPrpFgM

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 2:37 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @BundyB: @SnarkyPlatypus @stilgherrian *sets doll on fire* [That would be quicker, yes.]

snurb_dot_info Um, why isn’t The Guardian’s wearing a @firstdogonmoon-style bucket on his head, @murpharoo ?

via Hootsuite (retweeted on 2:33 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

TheKouk Oh dear. Abbott unaware of PEFO which of course is a publication mandated by the Charter of Budget Honesty

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 2:32 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

We are being invited to try Telstra’s new SMS API preview at dev.telstra.com and give them feedback.

RT @SnarkyPlatypus: @stilgherrian “Show me on the doll where working for the telco irreparably damaged your soul” [All of it. All of it.]

Remembering that I did some consulting for Telstra. [Curls into a tight ball. Rocks slowly back and forth. Whimpers.]

RealNickHodge RT @stmarymackillop weighs in on SA Submarine debate pic.twitter.com/5C5MX15Rho

via Twitter for Mac (retweeted on 2:26 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

If you find yourself using the words “going forward” in a sentence, you should pause to consider your life choices.

@jadacormier @frankarr Ah yes. You’ve just unrepressed some memories that could happily have been left suppressed.

via TweetDeck in reply to jadacormier

“The following buzzwords are required in all of our presentations.”

Perhaps I’m doing @frankarr an injustice, but needing a dedicated team to succeed at a specific task isn’t exactly controversial.

This is a discursive narrative of how Telstra set up its API team and why. Nice chat from @frankarrbut nothing noteworthy yet.

GrogsGamut “A $30 billion Budget black hole that they knew about, but they wouldn’t tell us about”… Ohrily? pic.twitter.com/zfWNzcAmoT

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 2:15 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Next up: @frankarr, now API evangelist at Telstra.

@rashasman Oh. I’ll listen for that when I post the recording.

via TweetDeck in reply to rashasman

rossdawson “Scale-pocalypse” - at @mamund says we should be worried about scalability of applications and APIs in world of scale-free networks

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 2:00 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

TL;DR @mamund: “Be a node and not a hub. Node all the things.”

HappySinger The only correct answer to is “Goat”. You idiots mean .

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 1:55 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

“The Internet of Things is based on the assumption that there will be data everywhere and magic everywhere.” Nice line, @mamund

@rashasman “Distant”? Do you mean audio quality, emotionally, or something else? I mean, I AM 4000km away, after all.

via TweetDeck in reply to rashasman

I’ve wandered into a keynote by Mike Amundsen @mamund on scale-free networks. I wish I hadn’t missed the start. He’s engaging.

I’m tweeting from APIdays Sydney today and tomorrow. syd.apidays.io Mute to avoid.

And the second radio spot is done. I have a recording of that one too, so it’ll be posted some time in the next couple of days.

On hold for ABC @720perth to talk about Smart TVs as spies in your home. theage.com.au/digital-life/c… Listen at abc.net.au/perth

SnarkyPlatypus Eject all the NIMBYs into Kellyville, I say.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 1:19 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

dobes I need to talk Korea later today. Maybe I’ll just use this @drearyclocks device. pic.twitter.com/HSoMsssNHK

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 1:16 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

What is this taxi industry twat going on about on ABC @720perth? Violent crime is going DOWN, has been for decades. We just SEE it all now.

RT @BXGD: @stilgherrian @720perth If anyone was in doubt, “smart TV” is now an oxymoron. [Hence this. zdnet.com/smart-tvs-are-…]

I’ll also be talking about Smart TV surveillance on ABC @720perth at 1020 AWST / 1320 AEDT. theage.com.au/digital-life/c… abc.net.au/perth

And the @1395FIVEaa spot is done. I should be able to post a recording later.

About to talk Smart TV surveillance on @1395FIVEaa Adelaide. theage.com.au/digital-life/c… Listen in at fiveaa.com.au

RT @SnarkyPlatypus: Isn’t there an arms race in Asia-Pacific around submarines at the moment? [Yes, very much so.]

How not to do slides, a lesson in legibility from Australia Post. instagram.com/p/y5vaHHCFv1/

via Instagram

paulangov . Such a boring and soulless abbreviation and term that can unlock such exciting, innovative and lucrative possibilities.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 12:25 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Australia Post has done all this with NetSuite, for example. Shipping to 24/7 parcel lockers is done directly in NetSuite.

Australia Post / StarTrack strategy: “To integrate into our merchants” native systems,” not as a separate app.

Franzi is providing an excellent overview of the trends in online retail, including “mass customisation”.

@CosmicRami @maxcelcat You two probably aren’t “average” in this regard.

via TweetDeck in reply to CosmicRami

Apparently the typical Australian is only buying online around 3 to 4 times a year. Didn’t catch a source for that.

Next up: Ben Franzi, GM Sales, Global eCommerce Platforms, Australia Post, on their StarTrack integration.

Those two retweets of @gillian_clark just now contain two excellent truths from News Corp’s Tom Quinn.

gillian_clark change for technology staff was huge and not everyone made the journey - change is about the people as well as technology @HyprNZ

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 12:08 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

gillian_clark Tom Quinn set up a ‘mind the gap’ team - to fill in the gaps between saas services; performance team as well - nice - @HyprNZ

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 12:08 PM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@Diamondback1949 You’d have to check the definition of “mobile” in that research. The reference is at the bottom of the slide.

via TweetDeck in reply to Diamondback1949

3. Choose your glue carefully. It’ll be a big part of your costs. instagram.com/p/y5rLZtCFpD/

via Instagram

2. In transition, give your legacy mainframe apps a cloud veneer. instagram.com/p/y5rBydCFou/

via Instagram

Quinn has three main messages. 1. Choose best SaaS service out there for each task, be willing to change when needed.

I’ll be talking about Smart TV surveillance on ABC @720perth at 1020 AWST / 1320 AEDT. theage.com.au/digital-life/c… abc.net.au/perth

I’ll be talking about Smart TV surveillance on @1395FIVEaa at 1210 ACDT / 1240 AEDT. theage.com.au/digital-life/c… fiveaa.com.au

Quinn on agility: composability is the key to speed. instagram.com/p/y5qEwoiFm8/

Here’s what that media shift to mobile looks like. instagram.com/p/y5pyo_CFmg/

via Instagram

Next up: Tom Quinn, CIO, News Corp AU. He says more than half their traffic now comes from mobile.

Learning about all the latest technology… instagram.com/p/y5lTR7CFun/

via Instagram

Ten points to Ghose for ending his presentation with a slide pointing to corporate social responsibility.

To counterpoint the big data utopia in that Wired link, try these. zdnet.com/article/why-bi… edition.cnn.com/2015/02/02/opi…

rossdawson Data Deluge Makes Scientific Method Obsolete archive.wired.com/science/discov… ref by Prof Aditya Ghose at re data-driven process improvement

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 10:29 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Yes, this looks more like “business process optimisation”. instagram.com/p/y5hvyziFpa/

via Instagram

Yes, @keranm, I think that I’d look at this stuff as “business process optimisation”. Unless I’m missing something.

via TweetDeck in reply to keranm

keranm Feels like Aditya Ghose is confusing business process with innovation- biz proc might foster innovation but it’s not innovation

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 10:24 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Ghose is presenting a framework for systematising the execution of innovation. instagram.com/p/y5hBkliFoF/

via Instagram

Ghose explains how most organisations currently manage innovation. instagram.com/p/y5guRpiFnq/

via Instagram

@Steve_Lockstep Indeed, which is why @rossdawson’s call for there to be a risk-based decision on that categorisation was nice.

via TweetDeck in reply to Steve_Lockstep

I know about Bharti. They had IBM provide all IT systems for a fixed percentage of revenue. Growth or efficiencies means both win.

Ghose uses Bharti Telecom in India, a huge mobile telco network with just 200 staff, as an example of “servitization”.

Next up, Prof Aditya Ghose, Director, Decision Systems Lab, University of Wollongong uow.edu.au/~aditya/

Deciding what information is in which of those categories, and assessing the risks, are board-level decisions, says Dawson.

Dawson says deciding what info is open, what is shared with trusted partners, and what is fully open, defines what the business IS.

Points to @rossdawson for reminding us that not everything should be “open”.

Worshipping at the Shrine of Bezos. instagram.com/p/y5dRFyiFiQ/

via Instagram

Looking only at the winners means the “analysis” suffers survivorship bias. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors… youarenotsosmart.com/2013/05/23/sur…

RT @keranm: “Platforms - Apis - enable a multi-sided market” @rossdawson .. pic.twitter.com/GFWXdyCUdF [Sample size N=12. Science.]

@developerjack I was a bizarre coincidence that @rossdawson spoke about Coca-Cola just as I typed that. See, he IS a futurist!

via TweetDeck in reply to developerjack

Much as I enjoy @rossdawson’s speaking, this much techno utopianism is like drinking two litres of fizzy soda for breakfast.

Sudden thought. KEYNOTE is an anagram of WANKERY.

RT @SnarkyPlatypus: @glengyron I think Boomers are the fastest growing STI demographic! [As they were the first time around.]

Dawson says that it’s the diversity of network connections that creates the greatest value. instagram.com/p/y5bd2DiFvB/

via Instagram

@troyhunt You’re right, BTW, I don’t think we’ve ever met. We shall rectify this shortly!

via TweetDeck in reply to troyhunt

@troyhunt @DeveloperSteve Yep, I’m here at both days. Currently down the front left of the theatre with a MacBook Pro open.

via TweetDeck in reply to troyhunt

I’m paraphrasing Dawson here, perhaps even bowdlerising him, but he talks fast and links many concepts into a single grand theme.

Dawson says technology intertwined with a self-accelerating trend to openness, “more open social attitudes”. Marijuana legalised!

“Latent demand and latent availability.” Uber and AirBnB as the inevitable examples of the more-fluid business.

APIday Sydney kicks off properly, with a @rossdawson keynote, polished as always.

That tedious part of every conference, where a dull person reads slowly through the program that we all already have.

Oh. Apparently the “official” hashtag is not , though IT ISN’T MENTIONED ON THE WEBSITE OR THE PROGRAM THAT I COULD SEE.

RT @chrisjrn: what does that even mean? [It means turning your business into a set of services, and using same running it. ]

APIday Sydney begins. “Servitization” is the buzzword du jour. Mute to avoid. instagram.com/p/y5Ys9ECFq8/

via Instagram

Arriving at Sydney Central station on the Chiko Roll instagram.com/p/y5WKtXCFl_/

via Instagram

GSElevator #1: People who take LinkedIn endorsements seriously probably love stock market contests with pretend money.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:40 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @oberonsghost: Nah, not The Salad. The Chiko Roll. [According to Twitter, you were two seconds before me. You win the internet today.]

You people have ALL missed the truly Australian name for the third train after the Fish and the Chips. The Chiko Roll. [Bows.]

@PlaneTalking @paulkidd And now it’s mostly endless suburbia, and I can chat with you via a global digital comms from the moving train.

via TweetDeck in reply to PlaneTalking

RT @smperris: The Potato Scallop. [Ah, NOW we’re talking.]

OK, @PlaneTalking, that’s even more impressive old-fart cred than @paulkidd … ;) Mind you, nothing existed Parramatta to Penrith then.

via TweetDeck in reply to PlaneTalking

HumanHeadline Gay marriage now allowed in 37 U.S. states. Including redneck territory like Alabama. Australia is shamed.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 8:13 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @Kimota: Salad? Nah, gotta be the lemon wedge [“I’m catching the Lemon Wedge to Sydney.” Yeah, works for me.]

With all the talk this week of Smart TVs spying on you, my “Smart TVs are dumb, and so are we” from Oct 2013. zdnet.com/smart-tvs-are-…

“Bill Shorten Slams ‘Incompetent’ Government For Failing ‘Basic Task’ Of Unseating A Prime Minister” theshovel.com.au/2015/02/09/bil…

RT @juhasaarinen: Tartar Sauce. [I was thinking more the Salt’n’Vinegar.]

If so, I am on the Salad.

When there were two limited-stop trains Lithgow-Sydney, they were called the Fish and the Chips. Now there’s three, is the third the Salad?

And now for the non-stop run Penrith to Parramatta. I do always like this part of the journey.

Seems a reasonable strategy.

“So, pirates, what’s your excuse now?” asks @alexkidman, justifiably. fatducktech.com/opinion/pirate…

@alexkidman Yes, you’ve answered your own question there, really.

via TweetDeck in reply to alexkidman

“Overreliance on the Pseudo-Science of Economics” nytimes.com/roomfordebate/…

@ataraxite Category error, I think. “Electricity” would be cf “data”, maybe “the grid” cf “the internet”?

via TweetDeck in reply to ataraxite

NewtonMark O_o RT @theage: ‘It’s incumbent on us all to support the PM, whomever the PM might be’, says Alan Jones
arseh.at/f5dn

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 7:21 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

I must say, I slept so well last night, knowing that Good Government began yesterday.

“Millions of Facebook users have no idea they’re using the internet”, reports @qz qz.com/333313/milliio… [And why should they?]

@stevelord It’s what’s on the inside that counts… ;)

via TweetDeck in reply to stevelord

glengyron Bring on the asteroid. RT @GuardianJessica: RIP world it’s been nice to know ya pic.twitter.com/sgARD2wxvc

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 7:00 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Related to APIdays, two years ago @mpesce said “The future of business is Lego”, on businesses as APIs. zdnet.com/article/the-fu… (podcast)

Tue plan: 0706 train to Sydney; 0900 APIdays conference, Day 1 syd.apidays.io; @5at5daily, maybe; return train, late-ish.

Hey @richardaedy, you should check out the pay-to-comment thing I’ve just been chatting about.

@bydanielvictor @DJBentley I’m certainly curious to see what the masthead’s own community thinks.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to bydanielvictor

@DJBentley @bydanielvictor Free to discuss “somewhere else”, but not along with the original article? A two-class system based on money.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to DJBentley

@bydanielvictor @DJBentley Experiment is good. I’ve worked policy for community orgs, tuned to look for potential blocks to participation.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to bydanielvictor

@bydanielvictor @DJBentley I was just thinking that, actually. “Why are you deleting my comment? I paid you!”

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to bydanielvictor

@DJBentley @bydanielvictor Perhaps, yet it’s all built on the assumption that having money makes people more polite.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to DJBentley

Sure, @bydanielvictor @DJBentle, providing you’re happy to systematically exclude people with little disposable income.

via TweetDeck in reply to bydanielvictor

bydanielvictor When you get over the shock of hearing it, I don’t think asking people to pay for commenting is a bad idea bit.ly/1A6bjvt

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 6:31 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@elronxenu @aprilaser I think I’ve heard of this story, but not read it. I used to read quite a bit of SF back in the day.

via TweetDeck in reply to elronxenu

fanfiction_txt Well they better watch out, because I have a feeling one day, this will turn out to be the very first NATIONAL Sonic Brony convection.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 6:05 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

xor Left: Samsung SmartTV privacy policy, warning users not to discuss personal info in front of their TV
Right: 1984 pic.twitter.com/osywjYKV3W

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 5:59 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

aprilaser Philip K Dick’s “Ubik” (1969) manages to explain in half a page why the Internet of Things will suck under capitalism pic.twitter.com/M3V9aTOyXO

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 5:38 AM, Feb 10th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Tue plan, draft: 0706 train to Sydney; 0900 APIdays conference, Day 1 syd.apidays.io; @5at5daily, maybe; return train, late-ish.

Tuesday. I have seen the future, and it is bullshit. See my TED talk. Buy me book. Tuesday.