December 9th, 2018

@_Kustodian_ @macgibbon That probably sounds a bit cranky. Sorry. But there’s been some truly appalling coverage, a..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…YH

@_Kustodian_ @macgibbon I’m definitely not defending it. (@macgibbon would be laughing at the idea!) I’ve written l..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…0c

via TweetDeck in reply to _Kustodian_

Sun plan, remainder: Eat a thing; write up a Weekly Wrap; work on that other thing for @zdnetaustralia for Monday (..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Yj

via Twitter Web Client in reply to stilgherrian

SwiftOnSecurity Testing the Twitter Custom Audiences tool.

If you can see this tweet, you are categorized by Twitter “Furry, 70% likelihood”

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 5:25 PM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

@thegrugq Cruel but fair. Your shade, I mean, not the concentration camps.

via TweetDeck in reply to thegrugq

jonkudelka On reflection, if I was asked what was my favourite cartoon I’d done this year by someone who was less passive aggr..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…fx

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 2:38 PM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

julianku This is so lacking in self awareness that I thought it was a parody account. twitter.com/globaltimesnew…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 2:23 PM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

Finally reading @JohnBirmingham’s “Rebellion in Dutton country” and it’s rather good. themonthly.com.au/issue/2018/dec…

oberonsghost OH: I’m just calling to let you know I’m on the phone.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 2:11 PM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

@SnarkyPlatypus Which side does all the whinging come from?

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@chrisfordoz In their defence, reporting on fast-moving legislation debates can be challenging, and a lot of AU rep..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…oT

via TweetDeck in reply to chrisfordoz

Here’s all of that thread about Australia’s anti-encryption Assistance & Access Bill in a more readable form…twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Fy

@perrynfowler I’m not explaining myself well, I think. I’ll have a proper go in tomorrow’s piece, because I’m tryin..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…mv

via TweetDeck in reply to perrynfowler

@TwitsForMiles It’ll be interesting to say the least!

via TweetDeck in reply to TwitsForMiles

@rgmerk Indeed. Whether the law or any system supporting it can deliver the goods is another whole question.

via TweetDeck in reply to rgmerk

@garthk One should always look for quality when deploying a goose.

via TweetDeck in reply to garthk

Oh, a final note for the hard of thinking. If you think any of this means I support the Bill then you’re a goose. I..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…rx

@zdnetaustralia As an aside, here’s what powers already exist in Australia. “Police want to read encrypted messages..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Dh

As I said before, for my sins I’m writing an explainer on the Assistance & Access Bill for @zdnetaustralia for Mond..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…PM

(I’m not saying you’re wrong, @perrynfowler, because you’re right. I just think you’re answering a different question.)

This is why I think the term “backdoor” is unhelpful. It focuses on cryptography and algorithms rather than communi..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Yk

Actually, no! The wonderful parliamentary staffers at @AboutTheHouse and @AuSenate have got the Bill as passed in a..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…cr

Here’s a direct link to “Schedule of the amendments made by the House of Representatives” but it’s amendments to th..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Cp

This is a common misconception, probably caused by sloppy reporting. It’s true that the Senate dumped all its plann..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9d

I stress again, though, the law has been rushed, and the end result may not even match the Australian government’s..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Kx

If you prefer listening, here’s a podcast of that panel discussion from August. Ian Levy making a good deal of sens..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Bi

Here’s something written by GCHQ technical directors Ian Levy and Crispin Robinson about how they see the UK equiva..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…rv

What @DamienCWalker notes here are the kinds of things people have imagined, because encrypted messages have to be..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…53

This here is a key issue, perhaps THE key issue. The details were modified in some of the 67 pages of amendments pa..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…bX

Again, the way this will end up working in practice remains to be seen. Agencies will push hard, obviously, and ven..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…PP

Second, there’s a specific prohibition on demanding a “systemic weakness, or a systemic vulnerability”, or demandin..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…MC

Obviously how that would pan out in practice remains to be seen, so expect some lively legal action for that!

First, it’s not “do whatever else it takes to decrypt subjects’ messages”. There’s a slab of stuff about having to..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…X0

No, not really. Not at all. I’ve seen quite a few tweets linking to this story. The Assistance & Access Bill certai..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Px

via Twitter Web Client

@upulie I kinda like the idea of blackberry hubris though.

via TweetDeck in reply to upulie

They are kinda nice images, yes. twitter.com/Astro_Alex/sta…

JohnJohnPhenom Reddit is mostly bad but the other day I learned on that website that the Menendez Brothers are in the background o..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…l9

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 12:02 PM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

ihateoldpeopIe MY HEAD HURTS FROM LAUGHING AT THIS pic.twitter.com/izLUcRzhYs

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 11:59 AM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

“Friends of Toolern Creek Platypus Festival” facebook.com/toolern/ @SnarkyPlatypus

alexdecampi I’m almost, but not quite, drunk enough to talk about how World War I could have been avoided if Rudolf of Austria..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5v

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 11:32 AM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

@SnarkyPlatypus Really? It’s only middling festive.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@quiatimet @CARROT_app I’ve sometimes thought about getting some of the other apps but I’ve got most of my processes embedded elsewhere.

via TweetDeck in reply to quiatimet

@PeteLawler @SnarkyPlatypus I’ve already found a festive platypus from a couple years back but @SnarkyPlatypus does..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…h8

via TweetDeck in reply to PeteLawler

OrkneyLibrary Today’s theme is so here is a picture from our Photographic Archive of a giant..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…fC

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 10:54 AM, Dec 9th, 2018 via TweetDeck)

Sun plan, outline draft: Lazy morning; laundry; write for @zdnetaustralia, at least the solid core of the thing I’m..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…mr

VeronicaAwakens “Last year, more Australians bought their seventh home than those who bought their first”

Burn the whole world down.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 10:29 AM, Dec 9th, 2018 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Sunday. A tissue of a web of farragos. Sunday.