September 12th, 2019

@jplonie The last thing this much-loved nation needs is me doing karaoke.

via TweetDeck in reply to jplonie

@jplonie Nah, I’m already back at my hotel and pondering the best way of unwinding before bed. The restaurant was l..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3Z

via TweetDeck in reply to jplonie

I think @a_Klee has just judged me a piker for not continuing on for karaoke. It’s not quite 9pm, sure, but I have..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…x4

@jplonie This is probably true. That, and they’re all too busy getting drunk right now.

via TweetDeck in reply to jplonie

@jplonie I’m not sure how many of them use this terrible web site.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jplonie

@jplonie Look I agree, but some of them seem to take their responsibilities very seriously, despite frequently havi..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…T4

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jplonie

It is getting very untidy down that end of the venue. Me, I’m sitting quietly with a beer, enjoying watching the di..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…vq

Kevin_Maguire “BOLLOCKS TO BREXIT” message in the top and bottom lines of today’s Guardian cryptic crossword is genius by setter..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…ud

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 11:18 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Ah. I think the “band” is various conference attendees in an open mic session?

At the other end of the restaurant I can hear a band arcing up an instrumental version of “Hotel California”. This..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Sf

@franksting I don’t want to be That Guy. At least not until the main food is served.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to franksting

@jplonie @NewtonMark Yeah there’s gaps in their process, but four months ago Vanuatu CERT and police partnered with..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…ZC

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jplonie

Not visible: Dozens of tiny bats hunting insects by the river. pic.twitter.com/bGkhKPdh7q

Som tum ped ped aroi maak. (Som tum made right in front of me is gorgeous, and now I’m riding the endorphin rush.)

@johnb78 Sounds about right. I’ll ask around.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to johnb78

@jplonie @NewtonMark I am at work. I’ve just found out about Chinese cybercrime in Vanuatu.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jplonie

Currently these “5-star luxury condos” are a muddy hole and a pile of pipes. pic.twitter.com/suLaz5Sp4Z

@SnarkyPlatypus The songthaew going past are now labelled 30 baht per person not 20 baht. Rampant capitalism!

@ApostrophePong @garthk Indeed. This is my first time in Chiang Mai, as you know, but I know what a wet season city..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…wK

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to ApostrophePong

@garthk @ApostrophePong Last time I was in Bangkok it was a July and it was WAY wetter than this time.

@garthk Either way, are we in a drought? @ApostrophePong indicated that Bangkok is in a drought.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to garthk

A quiet beer, and then down to The River Market for dinner.

thegeneralboard The Russian submarine Akula cruises past the armoured cruiser Rurik in 1913.

..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…xP

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 8:40 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@darrenpauli When are you kicking off your gardening vlog?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to darrenpauli

Would someone be so kind as to look up the rainfall figures for Chiang Mai? September is meant to be the heart of t..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…RN

@SnarkyPlatypus True, but Chiang Mai is particularly notorious. Narrow streets. No public transit beyond the red tr..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…zA

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

I’m seeing a few electric tuktuks though, which is nice.

Watching the heart of Chiang Mai grind to a halt as its renowned traffic jams take hold.

@Stevie_Easton You could drop a lot of snakes from a 747.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to Stevie_Easton

@tacticalmaid Dunno, but the brief mention in Wikipedia says it would’ve been some sort of micro-fighter.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to tacticalmaid

@tacticalmaid Would it though? It’s just like refuelling but with a hook.

via TweetDeck in reply to tacticalmaid

So I have just learned of the Boeing 747 AAC airborne aircraft carrier concept. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_74… pic.twitter.com/UoIZLY210l

ErrataRob The world is run by little ones and zeroes. Which side are you on?

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 7:46 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

junglebougie fucking up and asking my coworkers “R U on K”

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 7:38 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

NewtonMark R U OK, ALP? twitter.com/AdamBandt/stat…

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 7:28 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@zdnetaustralia Thu plan, 4.20pm ICT update: Tidy up loose ends* before calling it a day; 1830 APNIC 48 closing din..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…0E

via Twitter Web App in reply to stilgherrian

This is an excellent gender ratio. It’s also kinda nice to be at a conference where us white guys are in a distinct..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…zZ

@NewtonMark @apnic @jpwarren @dobes Correct. But as Geoff says, right now it gets you the research funding.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

FXMC1957 PHOTO OF THE DAY: The first aerial photograph of Stonehenge (1906). pic.twitter.com/VNpDSyB0zy

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:06 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

Wire brush.

(Sorry to hear, @markhumphries. Get well soon.) twitter.com/markhumphries/…

campuscodi Most Android flashlight apps request an absurd number of permissions

-Avast tested 937 flashlight apps
-average of..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9F

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 5:49 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@dobes @roweafr This is very good. I do wish they didn’t use the bad hash tag though. I’d like to see these without..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…hZ

via TweetDeck in reply to dobes

SnarkyPlatypus We have always been at war with Eastasia twitter.com/murpharoo/stat…

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 5:42 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@SnarkyPlatypus For a moment there I thought you said “rootability” but now I see you said “notability”.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@displayb333 Hahahaha you need professional help.

via TweetDeck in reply to displayb333

@BDC8495 Yeah, this is what I do. It’s only slightly annoying because I use zerossl.com to make the cer..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…28

via TweetDeck in reply to BDC8495

Number10cat My friend @PoliticalPics caught me mid-gallop (must have been on my way for lunch) pic.twitter.com/Dxl7fKJlmy

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 5:29 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

Goddammit how can I get to Germany in two hours? twitter.com/GoatsThatStare…

garius SKYNET: We will takeover the world. Nothing can stop us.
JOHN CONNOR: Which of these 9 pictures have traffic lights in?
SKYNET: Shit.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 5:25 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

Slowly, the Sydney’s George Street trams become a reality. twitter.com/johnb78/status…

draftjournal Ursula K. Le Guin’s writing schedule = best writing schedule pic.twitter.com/dIGpdFeVnT

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 5:23 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

Hosting providers who run WHM/cPanel but don’t install the Let’s Encrypt free SSL plugin because they only offer ov..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…O5

@sleepingdingo I hate encryption certificates. Everybody hates encryption certificates.

via TweetDeck in reply to sleepingdingo

–—BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST–—

Kill me now.

–—END CERTIFICATE REQUEST–—

CyberGovAU ALERT – SCAM EMAIL: The ACSC will never contact you by phone or email to request access to your computer. Nor willtwitter.com/i/web/status/1…vPNM

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 5:08 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

JonoH There is a story behind every sign… pic.twitter.com/Jwc7dUsIaq

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 4:43 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

curvygamerwife he’s going to suck his own dick twitter.com/samstein/statu…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 4:32 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

No criticism of our friends from Vietnam here. Getting this right in such a fast-growing internet economy is really..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2s

Related: Vietnam is a mess. Sorry, I mean a challenge.

Dividing by either human population or internet subscribers would be useful here, to get a per-capita measure. Beca..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…h4

sovietvisuals Parachute tester Georgy Schmidt presenting his parachute design. Photo by Ivan Shagin, USSR, 1935 pic.twitter.com/Lyf76C7n7W

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 3:46 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@eddit0r @jpwarren @apnic @dobes @NewtonMark I’m pretty sure that’s already happened but I’m not going to hate-Google it.

via TweetDeck in reply to eddit0r

aftabsiddiqui Here is the verdict from Deployathon. The best and easy to use validator is @routinator3000 out of t..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Bo

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 3:43 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@apnic Geoff’s views on solving the BGP problem with machine learning are equally fun, and also very @jpwarren,..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…20

kiwibrew How do Pacific Island web users get to Wikipedia? Like this! pic.twitter.com/kZTrxMlDoo

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 3:29 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@apnic I always like hearing Geoff’s opinions. Whenever you feel that the entire internet is rubbish, and it’s a mi..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…w2

ellenstrickland “Machine learning is just information bias written down in maths” 💯 @profElanor

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 3:11 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

From Tuesday, @apnic’s ever-optimistic chief scientist Geoff Huston’s views on BGP, the protocol that controls rout..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6N

cushbomb I am enjoying this high-key nutty version of Hillary Clinton. twitter.com/kg_ubu/status/…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 2:49 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@HippyWizard @dobes @jeamland Ah, when cyberpunk was a thing! Now it’s just arseholes all the way down.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to HippyWizard

carolineavenue TFW you find a graphic you’ve been looking for forever. In 1949, LIFE magazine broke it down: pic.twitter.com/RIo13OF3gl

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 1:42 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

When you think about it, it’s completely logical that the PM is a big Cronulla Sharks fan.

It also takes quite a bit of skill to piss down your own neck. Unless you play for the Cronulla Sharks. (Should I t..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…es

@SnarkyPlatypus I have been eating this sort of thing for breakfast all this week, though of course it has another..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…jZ

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Mind you, it’s quite possible that Uber’s executive team are not all criminals.

Given that Uber’s core “business” seems to me to be fleecing investors out of their money and pissing it down their..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…kP

peytnhaag my roommate broke up with his girlfriend last night at a fancy restaurant and she started bawling…. everyone thou..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…dO

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 1:21 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@jonoabroad @irisherself Never say I don’t do anything for you. Clear goals are important.

via TweetDeck in reply to jonoabroad

@CarnegieEndow “After the first set of papers focused on future trends and the second set of papers focused on the..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…0Z

New papers from my friends at the @CarnegieEndow Encryption Working Group, both on encryption and law enforcement…twitter.com/i/web/status/1…qi

@irisherself Well it’s true, but that doesn’t stop it being sold as a product. :)

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to irisherself

egavactip The site will operate under the name Camp Soylent Green. twitter.com/damianpaletta/…

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 12:38 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

hughriminton With thanks to ⁦@JCE_PC⁩ .. pic.twitter.com/8gXRcMtlqf

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 12:30 PM, Sep 12th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

SJDJ Still not sure if cats are waves or particles. These experiments seem inconclusive. twitter.com/EveForster/sta…

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 11:57 AM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

Totally relevant comment on @LowyInstitute’s Panel discussion: “What can we expect from Jokowi’s second term?”..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…03

@R_Chirgwin Those photos were taken around the same time in September and tagged an “early spring”. A shame we don’..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…cv

via TweetDeck in reply to R_Chirgwin

@R_Chirgwin I reckon most of the time it’s because you stab the button violently, ensuring there’s motion blur. Bre..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…pn

via TweetDeck in reply to R_Chirgwin

@R_Chirgwin Is there some reason you’re afraid to get close to that almond tree over in the distance there?

via TweetDeck in reply to R_Chirgwin

Enno_Insinuator Look, they deployed in Tonga!
Take this, you CIOs of large enterprise organizations 😜
src:..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Kj

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 11:22 AM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@munin What are the odds the new firmware reset something to a really dumb default?

via TweetDeck in reply to munin

@apnic Something something cooperation collaboration something do the simple things that are already in the interne..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…lu

This is cool to see. @apnic gets its geeks together in a room to sign ROA keys for RPKI, that is, digitally signing..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…AP

@seamus @slotty_au That is magical. “Never work with children or animals, or smart devices.”

via TweetDeck in reply to seamus

@AndrewHeslop It’s the only way to travel. (Literally true in some places.)

via TweetDeck in reply to AndrewHeslop

@seamus @slotty_au To be fair to Optus, they were very quick to work out what was going on. They were just on edge..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…WP

via TweetDeck in reply to seamus

AntonyGreenABC Loved this Mad As Hell competition prize last night @shaunmicallef pic.twitter.com/Z5YQfCBUUW

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 10:58 AM, Sep 12th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@zdnetaustralia It’s the last day of the conference, and most of the program is either technical tutorials or APNIC..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…8o

Thu plan, draft: Slow start (in progress); administrivia; write for @zdnetaustralia; 1600 ICT APNIC 48 conference c..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Za

More of this wet season weather is happening today, though it seems to me like the wet isn’t as wet as I’d imagined. pic.twitter.com/j5myCAYz4q

Thursday. Sheets of blue plastic and a model railway. Why is it broken? Thursday.