Stilgherrian is a freelance journalist and commentator who covers the politics of the internet and the way it’s changing power relationships at every level of society. He’s particularly interested in internet policy, cybersecurity, privacy, cybercrime and hoovering up bulldust. But that’s far from all he’s interested in.
He does a weekly newsletter titled The Weekly Cybers, a personal look at what the Australian government has been saying and doing in the digital and cyber realms, on various adjacent topics, and whatever else interests him.
He also makes terrible podcasts about politics, international affairs, and other topics, in particular The 9pm Edict.
You can hire him to help you make yours. Or to help you write and stuff.
Please support The 9pm Autumn Series 2024
As summer draws to a close it’s time to look ahead and fund another series of my terrible podcast for grown-ups, The 9pm Edict.
The Pozible crowdfunding campaign The 9pm Autumn Series 2024 is open until 7 March. Please click through, read the usual blurb, and maybe even pledge your support — or at least tell your friends about the podcast.
I’m determined that the podcast should never have those terrible, badly-placed adverts. But that means I need income while I produce them. Thanks to you generous supporters, I’ve been able to do that for a few years now. Let’s continue, shall we?
Latest Blog Posts
- Weekly Wrap 717: Gettin’ snakey and producing podcasts, that was my week
- Weekly Wrap 716: Dragon the productivity back into my life
- Weekly Wrap 715: Little productivity, plenty of sleep, a bold magpie, and podcast plans
- Weekly Wrap 714: A golden spider heralds the end of the summer holidays, so I’d better get on with it
- Weekly Wrap 713: Australia’s summer slow season ends with a relaxed Australia Day long weekend
- Weekly Wrap 712: A new newsletter and an old photo of some trains at Penrith
Latest Podcasts and other Conversations
- The 9pm Nine Years of Nemesis and Chocolate Cake with Snarky Platypus
- The 9pm Artificially Intelligent Millipede Menace with Justin Warren
- The 9pm Henry Kissinger Hamageddon with Snarky Platypus
- The 9pm Purpose of Space and the Gravity of the Situation with Dr Alice Gorman and Rami Mandow
- The 9pm Chia Seed Protein Pudding with John Birmingham
- The 9pm Capitalist Supply Chain of Medical Problems with tropical cyclone avoider Dr Trent Yarwood
I have essentially abandoned Twitter. As of 1 January 2024 my interactions on X/Twitter will be minimal. My posts will largely be limited to plugging my work elsewhere.
Most of my social media presence is now at Bluesky, where you can find me as bsky.app/profile/stilgherrian.com. As of 7 February 2024, Bluesky is no longer invitation-only.
I am also on Mastodon at eigenmagic.net/@stilgherrian. Just log into your Mastodon instance and search for @firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, there’s an easy way to get onto my mailing list in case you’re not already a supporter. I’ll email you about upcoming podcasts, live recordings, crowdfunding campaigns, and other bits and pieces. There’s usually only one or two emails per month, although I may well organise some more email-based things as 2024 progresses.