This is intended to be a complete list of my media output over the years. If anything’s missing, please let me know. Last updated 20 September 2020.
All of my freelance writing since 2007 is now in my Authory archive. What’s listed here is all the other stuff.
- The Code (Series 2, 2016), Playmaker Media / ABC: Technology Consultant
Otherwise this section lists just a few old items. Many of the others since then are listed on this website, although they’re mixed in with my comments about television.
- More allegations against Murdoch media, 7.30. Sydney (broadcast Australia-wide): ABC TV, 12 July 2011. (Interviewee)
- Internet filter postponed for more review, Lateline. Sydney (broadcast Australia-wide): ABC TV, 9 July 2010. (Interviewee)
- Govt’s website black list leaked on internet, Lateline. Sydney (broadcast Australia-wide): ABC TV, 19 March 2009. (Interviewee)
- Pornography on the Internet, Sex/Life. Sydney (broadcast Australia-wide): Channel 10, Beyond International, October 1996. (Interviewee)
This website includes many of the radio spots I’ve done since 2008.
I worked in radio full time from 1982 to 1992 in various roles. This list includes some of the highlights.
- Station Manager: Three D Radio 93.7 FM. Adelaide: Progressive Music Broadcasting Association Inc, April 1994â€“March 1995.
- Presenter (with Scott Thompson): Club Escape. Adelaide: Triple J.
- Producer: ABC Radio 5AN (now ABC Adelaide). Adelaide: Australian Broadcasting Corporation, January 1985â€“February 1992.
- Johann Jackson, Ray Jobling, Rod LeNaine Smith, Tony Porter, Andrew Scheer and Stilgherrian. Tutoring: Staff Development Techniques. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service, 1983. ISBN 0 644 00497 5.
- Rod LeNaine-Smith. Report-writing Program, 3rd edition. Adelaide: Department of Transport Australia, 1982. (Editor and Designer)
Presentations (Conferences & Seminars)
- What do journos do better, exactly?: Media 140 Sydney, Sydney, 5â€“6 November 2009.
- Risk, Fear and Paranoia: Perspective, People!: NSW Sphere, Sydney, 4 September 2009.
- The Parable of the Topless Gnome: Cultural imperialism and censorship in a global world: SoGiKII: Law, Communication Technologies and Culture Conference, Sydney, 9 June 2009.
- The Importance of Authenticity: WebForward@CeBIT, Sydney, 14 May 2009.
- Social Media and the Federal Election 2007: PodCamp Perth 07, Perth, 27 October 2007.
- The information power of multi-media: a strategic key to increase sales and profits: Capture & Use Information for Effective Targeted Marketing, IIR Conferences, Sydney, 26â€“26 March 1996.
- Harnessing the power of marketing through this!zine: a live presentation: Youth Marketing, IIR Conferences, Sydney, 29 May 1996.
- Black Holes, Science Journal, number 32. Adelaide: Prince Alfred College, 1976.
- Silicon Life, Science Journal, number 31. Adelaide: Prince Alfred College, 1975.
- (untitled feedback item), New Scientist, 6 October 2007. [local copy]
- (untitled feedback item), New Scientist, 18 November 2006.
- Dogs’ hidden costs, New Scientist, 14 May 2005.
- (untitled letter), Sydney Morning Herald, 30 November 2004.
- (untitled letter), New Scientist, 21 August 2004.
- Features Editor & Managing Partner: The Core, numbers 1 to 86. Adelaide: Core Productions, 1991â€“1993.
- Editor: Bread and Circuses, numbers 1 to 27. Adelaide: Students Association of the University of Adelaide, 1979â€“1980.
- The Sun (SCA newspaper). Adelaide: self-published, dates TBA.
- Cornerstone: The Quarterly Publication of the Shire/Barony of Innilgard. Adelaide: Society for Creative Anachronism, October 1985 (AS XX) to April 1987 (AS XXI).
- Psychopathic Silverfish. Adelaide: self-published, 22 May 1986
- hordes of one-legged seagulls. Adelaide: self-published, 22 December 1985
- Menu for a Palm Court CafÃ©. Adelaide: self-published, October 1985
- The Fornt Coover. Adelaide: self-published, June 1985
- The Exact Re-wording, numbers 1, 2, 2.1, 3. Adelaide: self-published, 1985?
- …to cast a shadow, number 2. Adelaide: self-published, 31 May 1980.
- to light a candle…, number 1. Adelaide: self-published, 30 March 1980.
Both iRadio and FastStart Asia Pacific would have been called “podcasts” had that word been in currency at the time. Both programs were used for internal marketing within the corporations concerned.
- Producer: FastStart Asia Pacific, 6 episodes. Sydney (distributed online throughout the Asia-Pacific region): IBM Australia Limited, August 2003â€“October 2004.
- Producer: iRadio, 4 episodes. Sydney (distributed nationally online and on audio CD: Telstra Corporation Limited, February 2002â€“February 2003.
this!zineâ„¢ was an award-winning CD-ROM magazine for the youth market produced by Big Hand Asia Pacific Pty Ltd, a joint venture between the Fairfax media group and Big Hand Inc of Dallas, Texas (as far as I know they have no connection with BigHand Digital Dictation).
- Editor: this!zine, issue 1. Sydney: Big Hand Asia Pacific, February 1996.
- Associate Editor / Associate Producer: this!zine, issue 0. Sydney: Big Hand Asia Pacific, November 1995.
- Gay & Lesbian Internet Users: Trends and Implications. Sydney: CitySearch Australia, 1998. (unpublished confidential research)