OK, I lied. I have managed to find a hard copy of the Club Escape Perfect List from 1991.
As before, this is a list of the “best” dance tracks released in 1991, as chosen by the crew at Club Escape, the Adelaide-based dance music program on Triple J.
I wasn’t involved in Club Escape that year. I’d already gone on to The Core magazine — and indeed this list is taken from The Core issue 12, from 15 January 1992. So the people to blame for this list are producer John Thompson-Mills (â€JBâ€) and presenter Paul Kitching.
[Update 6 September 2007: I’ve linked to as many of these songs as I can find on YouTube. Some of them may not be the exact mix played on air, but you get that. Enjoy. And if you find any others, please let me know.]
[Update 27 January 2011: I’ve just updated all the links back to the songs on YouTube. So many had suffered linkrot over the last few years. Not all of the links will be to the same mixes that were originally played on the radio.]
1. De La Soul: Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey)
2. Quadraphonia: Quadraphonia
3. The KLF: Last Train to Transcentral
4. Enigma: Sadeness
5. Rozalla: Faith (In the Power of Love)
6. T99: Anastasia
7. Crystal Waters: Gypsy Woman
8. PM Dawn: Set Adrift on Memory Bliss
9. LL Cool J: Mama Said Knock You Out
10. Sabrina Johnston: Peace (In the Valley)
Continue reading “Club Escape’s “Perfect List” 1991″