It’s Day 60 of Stilgherrian’s coronavirus isolation. Prime Minister Scott Morrison is starting to tell us it’s time to move towards opening the economy. But with COVID-19 infections in the US at such high levels, are we moving to early?Continue reading “The 9pm His Plague Diary 9”
My week of Monday 22 to Sunday 28 October 2018 was dominated by the building in the photo, the International Convention Centre Sydney (ICC Sydney), because I was covering SWIFT’s Sibos global financial services conference. It was all a bit strange.
I’m used to plenty of hospitality at cybersecurity conferences, but the international banking industry works at a whole different level. It also generated three stories, with another one or two still to come.
And all of this happened despite a night of drinking whisky. I’d like to quash the rumour that we were drinking whisky until 6am, however. It was only about 5.50am.
- “The 9pm Probe: Mike Godwin, attorney and author”, being The 9pm Edict episode 80. It’s also on Spreaker and SoundCloud.
- Securities market participants face greatest financial cyber threat: BAE Systems, ZDNet Australia, 23 October 2018.
- There’s ‘bigger fish to fry’ than anti-encryption laws: Telstra security chief, ZDNet Australia, 23 October 2018.
- Culture the missing link for cybersecurity’s weakest link, ZDNet Australia, 24 October 2018.
- SWIFT’s Sibos global financial services conference was awash with plenty of high-quality food and drink. I didn’t trawl the stalls, even though there were some excellent things on offer. I just grabbed a pen from the Reserve Bank of Australia when mine broke.
The Week Ahead
On Monday I’m writing something for ZDNet before doing the shopping and other errands in Katoomba. Tuesday will be a long day. I’m catching the 0607 train down to Sydney to cover the McAfee MPOWER Cyber Security Summit. I daresay that as a result I’ll be writing something else for ZDNet on Wednesday.
Update 30 October: I’m down with what I’m calling Banker Flu. Monday and Tuesday have been write-offs. Wednesday will be about story pitches, writing, and the shopping.
I’ll leave Thursday and Friday unplanned for the time being. I have the sneaking suspicion that there’ll be something newsworthy to write about, and I’ll sort out the podcast plans for the rest of the year.
There’s nothing specific pencilled in yet, so I should probably do something about that. Suggestions are more than welcome.
[Photo: ICC Sydney, photographed on 24 October 2018.]