“The BBC is preparing to shut down its traditional television and radio broadcasts as it becomes an online-only service over the next decade, according to its director general, Tim Davie,” reported the Guardian. That caught the ear of ABC Adelaide.Continue reading “Talking an online-only BBC and ABC on ABC Adelaide”
Digital developments in Labor’s first week of Parliament
In the first three sitting days of Parliament, the new Albanese Labor government did… what? When it comes to the digital realm, not a lot. But here’s a post anyway.Continue reading “Digital developments in Labor’s first week of Parliament”
Talking Optus TV Now on Balls Radio
Last week the High Court of Australia denied Optus leave to appeal the Optus TV Now decision, which means their “video recorder in the cloud” service isn’t legal — and that was the topic for my spot on Phil Dobbie’s Balls Radio this week.
The conversation bounced off the analysis I’d written the day before for Technology Spectator, TV Now’s cloud complications.
As usual, the conversation wandered to other matters as well, such as the early broadcast radio industry selling receivers that could only receive one station.
Here’s the audio of my segment. If you’d like more, Mr Dobbie has posted the full episode.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 16:54 — 6.5MB)
You can hear us talk live every Tuesday night from 7pm AEST on Sydney’s FM 99.3 Northside Radio.
I’m fairly sure that copyright remains with Mr Dobbie rather than being transferred to Northside Radio, but I’ll figure that out later.
Links for 03 July 2008 through 04 July 2008
Stilgherrian’s links for 03 July 2008 through 04 July 2008, gathered with joy and mutton:
- Draft Report | Garnaut Climate Change Review: The Draft Report describes the methodology for evaluating the costs and benefits of climate change mitigation; to the application of the science of climate change to Australia; to the international context, and to Australian mitigation policy.
- Turing Test | xkcd: On the other hand, maybe the test is to make the examiner think that HE'S the computer!
- Turing test | Wikipedia: "The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to demonstrate intelligence." What I love about the REAL Turing test is the subtlety of it… It's not faking a human, it's faking a human faking.
- Manned Cloud by Jean-Marie Massaud | Dezeen: This just has to be the most beautiful design for an airship I've ever seen. Guys, build it soon!
- The BBC and the future of broadcasting | Stephen Fry: Stephen Fry's speech on the future of public service broadcasting, and the BBC in particular.