My week of Monday 17 to Sunday 23 November 2014 was pleasingly productive, and struck a better balance between work and leisure time than the previous week. This pleases me.
I also suspect that Saturday night’s New Moon heralded the start of a new cycle of something or other, because so far Sunday has felt very different. We shall see.
- Fix your security, don’t cover up breaches: Privacy Commissioner, ZDNet Australia, 18 November 2014. Given that bureaucratic language is usually rather restrained, these were strong warnings indeed from the Privacy Commissioner.
- A right to privacy or rewriting history? Debate rages on the right to be forgotten, Crikey, 18 November 2014.
- Tor’s feral fans are its own worst enemy, ZDNet Australia, 21 November 2014. I daresay I’ll get complaints about this one.
There were editions of the 5at5 email newsletter on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Why not subscribe so you receive them all?
- On Wednesday afternoon, I spoke about Netflix coming to Australia on ABC 891 Adelaide.
- On Thursday afternoon, I did a spot on ABC News24 about Netflix coming to Australia and the backlash against mandatory data collection, but I forgot to record it.
- On Friday afternoon, I spoke about unsecured webcams and CCTV on 1395 FIVEaa.
- On Monday, I covered the iappANZ conference, so there was food and drink on offer, and so I consumed same. I also had too many drinks with certain ISOC-AU people afterwards.
The Week Ahead
On Monday, I’ll be writing a column for ZDNet Australia, and planning some technical work that’ll unfold in December.
On Tuesday, I’m heading in to Sydney for a lunchtime briefing by AVG Technologies. On the train, I’ll be working on a feature article for ZDNet Australia that’s due at the end of the month. I’ll complete that feature on Wednesday.
On Thursday, I’m writing another column for ZDNet Australia, and heading to Sydney for the annual internet industry boat party on Sydney Harbour, followed by further drinks in the evening. I’ll be staying in Sydney overnight.
On Friday, I’m writing a piece for Crikey, and starting work on another episode of The 9pm Edict podcast. That podcast will be finished on the weekend — although what else that weekend may hold is still to be determined.
[Photo: The Central Points, being part of a set of railway track points — what Americans would call “railroad switches” — photographed on 17 November 2014.]