There was snow in the Blue Mountains during the week of Monday 7 to Sunday 13 June 2021, and I enjoyed spending the afternoon in a warm front bar at Leura watching it through the window. There was also a podcast, and then on Sunday quite a bit of ill-advised drinking — which is why this Weekly Wrap is appearing on Monday afternoon.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 576: There was snow, there was a podcast”
What a week! My week of Monday 28 October to Sunday 3 November included a conference, some writing, and finally a podcast! Read on, and despair.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 492: Cyber strategy and mud, probably”
Monday 20 to Sunday 26 May 2019 was a strange week. The weather too warm for this time of year, the politics too strange, and the fatigue continuing.
Obviously the Australian federal election result was a bit weird, and I reflected on that in this week’s podcast. There was also the announcement of the newly re-elected Morrison government’s new ministry and cabinet on Sunday, which will take a while to digest.
I also launched The 9pm Brisbane Podcasts 2019, a Pozible crowdfunding campaign that you should definitely consider. Please.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 469: The aftermath, with a podcast”
Monday 29 April to Sunday 5 May 2019 was a good mix of research, writing, and vast podcast arsehattery. I’m a happy possum.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 466: Cool weather finally arrives, with cybercrime”
My week Monday 8 to Sunday 14 April 2019 was another when little of what I did was visible to the world. There’s nothing of substance to report here. But I enjoyed it. Did you? In any event, you can read about what’s coming up.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 463: A walk, The Ritz, and little else of note”
- NSW Police targeting shows the ethical dangers of secret algorithms, ZDNet Australia, 27 October 2017. There’s more to come on this topic, I think.
- “The 9pm Hallucinating Goldfish”, or The 9pm Edict episode 69, was streamed live and recorded on Tuesday night. You can also listen at SoundCloud and Spreaker. You can support this podcast with a one-off contribution via PayPal or major credit cards. Please consider.
- On Tuesday, I spoke about the targeting of advertising on social media on ABC Canberra.
- On Wednesday, I spoke about encryption policies and, briefly, Nazis for the next episode of the Covert Contact podcast, which will appear very soon. If you haven’t done so, you can still listen to my first appearance, the episode about Australian Cyber Policy.
- My story about an Australian defence contractor’s data breach from a couple of weeks ago was picked up by a Ukrainian news site, and a site in Italian that I didn’t investigate further.
The Week Ahead
Monday will definitely be a jumbled day of editorial planning, research, story pitches, and administrivia. I’m glad I’ve already sketched out the rest of the week.
On Tuesday I’m heading to Sydney for a couple meetings, but I’ve got room for more. I’m also doing a radio spot on ABC Melbourne at 1930 AEDT.
Wednesday will be a day of writing, as will most of the rest of the week.
At some point, I’ll also announce a new crowdfunding campaign. It’s been more than a year since my last concentrated ask-for-money burst, and the gods know my budget needs it. But there’s been some changes in the crowdfunding landscape since then, so I don’t want to rush it. Stay tuned for details.
At this stage, I haven’t locked in anything specific for the rest of the calendar year. Please feel free to make some suggestions.