Stilgherrian’s links for 19 July 2009 through 23 July 2009, with more than a little apathy:
- The sexual habits of British men and women over 40 years old | Wiley InterScience: A large population-based study which provides the first report on the frequency and timing of sexual activity in British men and women. Over 40.
- saving paradise: Liz Mwambui’s blog, written for Nature Seychelles, is a great example of “personal voice” in an NGO’s corporate blog.
- Washing/Moscow Hot Line: A history of the direct communications link which went into service in 1963.
- Encyclopedia Astronautica: A wonderful compendium of information about spacecraft — actual, projected and mythical.
- Google Flu Trends: Google has found that certain search terms are good indicators of flu activity. Google Flu Trends uses aggregated Google search data to estimate flu activity up to two weeks faster than traditional systems.
- Nirvana vs Rick Astley: Never Gonna Give Your Teen Spirit Up | YouTube: A very fine (and scary!) mashup by German-based DJ Morgoth. I’ve had to play it several times now, it’s that good.
- Narcissism and Social Networking Web Sites | Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin: Research by Laura E Buffardi and W Keith Campbell at the University of Georgia (US) shows that people using social media sites like Facebook can actually tell, just by looking at a person's profile, whether they're narcissistic or not.
- Totally Wasted | Mother Jones: A major feature on America’s War on Drugs. Plenty to ingest. I mean digest.
- The folly of pretence | Daniel Dennett | The Guardian: One of the greatest philosophers of the mind, a man I’ve actually had the pleasure of meeting, explains why everyone needs to move on from “the God question” — including the militant atheists.
2 Replies to “Links for 19 July 2009 through 23 July 2009”
Thanks for the Link Love 🙂
Liz, Saving Paradise
The most vivid proof EVER that grunge, despite all its angsty insistence to the contrary, was always never more than just another, simple derivative from the tried ‘n’ true pop formula. Shake your jaundiced fist at that, thou disaffected thirty-somethings.
Comments are closed.