This is as good a time as any to mention that climbing out of the current — or should I say recent — black dog episode is proving remarkably straightforward this time. I think that’s down to a combination of factors. I’ve got a good medical team. I’ve been down that rabbit-hole before, so it’s a familiar landscape and a familiar route home — and indeed that initial blog post was really me starting that process. I’ve had a few professional compliments lately. And the weather has been lovely, which makes a big difference when there’s a seasonal component to one’s moods.
- Corrupted Nerds: Conversations 4, being a chat with Dr Kerry Hinton from the Centre for Energy-Efficient Telecommunications (CEET) about how the internet uses electricity — and how we might well run into a power crisis.
I still haven’t kicked off The 9pm Election podcast. I really do think I was biting off more than I can chew with that little addition to my planned workload.
- Crikey Clarifier: how the FBI hacked users of Tor, the ‘secret internet’, Crikey, 13 August 2013.
- The real numbers behind cyberhype, Technology Spectator, 15 August 2013.
- Prepare for the attack of the politiclones!, ZDNet Australia, 15 August 2013. “We’ll be plagued by digital swarms of whining Pynedroids, slimy Weinerbots, and worse,” I warn.
- ‘Literally’ purists literally belong in the stone age, ABC The Drum, 16 August 2013, in which I describe people who complain about “literally” sometimes meaning “figuratively” as “simply simple linguitard peeververein — to build upon the delightful word coined by The Baltimore Sunâ€™s John E McIntyre meaning, in bastard German, “band of peevers” — roaming the Twittersphere in vast, dull cud-munching herds”.
- On Monday, I spoke about geoblocks and how to avoid them, briefly, as part of a package on Channel TEN’s The Project. This was the footage shot two weeks ago.
- On Tuesday, ITJourno wrote about me, Stilgherrian launches Corrupted Nerds podcast, but you won’t be able to read it unless you’re a member.
- On Sunday I spoke about future politics on ABC Radio National’s Sunday Extra with host Jonathan Green and John McTernan, formerly Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s head of communications.
- On Thursday night, I dropped in to a little soirÃ©e to launch Malcolm Turnbull’s new website. Beer and sushi was to be had.
- On Friday night, I popped in to the launch of Dom Knight’s new book, Man vs Child, and there was an open bar for a while. I had one beer. Because I’m responsible.
The Week Ahead
On Monday and Tuesday I’ll be in Sydney to cover the Gartner Security and Risk Management Summit for CSO Online and Technology Spectator, each in their own way. That’ll keep me busy with writing through Wednesday.
The rest of the week is full of more writing, for ZDNet Australia and my now-regular guest lecture at UTS at a bare minimum.
Somewhere in there I need to start working on some income-generation for Corrupted Nerds.
The weekend is likely to be a quiet one.