The week of Monday 2 to Sunday 8 March 2020 started to see the rise of panic buying in Sydney thanks to overblown fears about the novel coronavirus COVID-19. And in Canberra, the government continued to suffer embarrassments.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 510: The beginning of the end of the world”
I was surprised that the Swine Flu Panic didn’t win “Cnut of the Week”. T’was only second place (28%). Jim Carrey (for suggesting vaccines are the real worry — yes, when I want advice on epidemiology I’ll ask an actor) was equal third place (20%) with cockroaches who refuse to die when confronted with a veritable tidal wave of insecticide.
Does than mean Jim Carrey is a cockroach? That’s a shame. It means I can’t poison him.
Our winner, on 32% of the vote, was Peter Costello, who still refuses to shut the fuck up about… well, I just wish he’d shut up full stop. Go away, Peter.
The program also contained an unusual use for a cocktail shaker. It has to be seen to be believed. Although that may be over-selling it.
Here are the web links I’ve found for 25 April 2009 through 27 April 2009, posted with postingness.
- Noteboek | Vimeo: Evelien Lohbeck’s short film creates a notebook computer out of a paper notebook.
- Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit (8-Bit Remix)” | DoseNation: Somehow, this hugely-successful rock song still sounds good played on cheesey 8-bit synthesisers.
- Towards a Taxonomy of blogs | Creative Economy Online: Meta-journalist Margaret Simons reckons that before we descend into the loggers versus journalists debate then we should define our terms. She proposes a classification of blog types.
- Rooftop STUB | Flickr: Will Hughes’ stills photography of Saturday’s party.
- What is wrong with Strawberry Amyl Nitrate? | Vimeo: Will Hughes took this video at Saturday’s rooftop party in Surry Hills. It contains rather too much of me, and certainly too much of my tongue.
- slow down london: Running from 24 April through to 4 May, this festival about “living life in real time” is striking a chord.
- Is Social Media Too Fast? | Convince & Convert: Jason Baer kicks off a discussion about the incredible pace of social media. “This of course requires me to jump from task to message to task to message like a Russian dancing bear on crack,” he says. Perhaps it’s time to choose to slow down? I’ll definitely have more to say about this anon.
- “One Of My Biggest Pet Peeves Is A Girl Who Is Not Probably Groomed On All Parts Of Her Body” – Arthur Kade | Jezebel: There is just so much wrong with this man’s worldview that I don’t know where to begin.
- a warning from the newspaper biz | overland literary journal: Can the book industry learn from what’s happening to newspapers? Amongst the great questions asked is: “Will an author’s share of revenue on e-books be a traditional fixed percentage, or a variable, we’re-not-going-to-tell-you-what-we-received-from-your-work-but-here’s-a-quarter-go-buy-yourself-something-nice percentage of advertising revenue that Google might deign to dole out (as it does with ad revenue to site/blog owners)?”