The week of Monday 2 to Sunday 8 March 2020 started to see the rise of panic buying in Sydney thanks to overblown fears about the novel coronavirus COVID-19. And in Canberra, the government continued to suffer embarrassments.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 510: The beginning of the end of the world”
Episode 45 is online, Peter Costello!
Episode 45 of Stilgherrian Live, the Fame Edition, is now online for your viewing pleasure.
I was surprised that the Swine Flu Panic didn’t win “Cnut of the Week”. T’was only second place (28%). Jim Carrey (for suggesting vaccines are the real worry — yes, when I want advice on epidemiology I’ll ask an actor) was equal third place (20%) with cockroaches who refuse to die when confronted with a veritable tidal wave of insecticide.
Does than mean Jim Carrey is a cockroach? That’s a shame. It means I can’t poison him.
Our winner, on 32% of the vote, was Peter Costello, who still refuses to shut the fuck up about… well, I just wish he’d shut up full stop. Go away, Peter.
The program also contained an unusual use for a cocktail shaker. It has to be seen to be believed. Although that may be over-selling it.
Congratulations to Jason Appleby, who won a t-shirt for his efforts at nominating the Swine Flu Panic, thanks to our new friends at King Cnut Ethical Clothing.
Links for 25 April 2009 through 27 April 2009
Here are the web links I’ve found for 25 April 2009 through 27 April 2009, posted with postingness.
- Noteboek | Vimeo: Evelien Lohbeck’s short film creates a notebook computer out of a paper notebook.
- Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit (8-Bit Remix)” | DoseNation: Somehow, this hugely-successful rock song still sounds good played on cheesey 8-bit synthesisers.
- Towards a Taxonomy of blogs | Creative Economy Online: Meta-journalist Margaret Simons reckons that before we descend into the loggers versus journalists debate then we should define our terms. She proposes a classification of blog types.
- Rooftop STUB | Flickr: Will Hughes’ stills photography of Saturday’s party.
- What is wrong with Strawberry Amyl Nitrate? | Vimeo: Will Hughes took this video at Saturday’s rooftop party in Surry Hills. It contains rather too much of me, and certainly too much of my tongue.
- slow down london: Running from 24 April through to 4 May, this festival about “living life in real time” is striking a chord.
- Is Social Media Too Fast? | Convince & Convert: Jason Baer kicks off a discussion about the incredible pace of social media. “This of course requires me to jump from task to message to task to message like a Russian dancing bear on crack,” he says. Perhaps it’s time to choose to slow down? I’ll definitely have more to say about this anon.
- “One Of My Biggest Pet Peeves Is A Girl Who Is Not Probably Groomed On All Parts Of Her Body” – Arthur Kade | Jezebel: There is just so much wrong with this man’s worldview that I don’t know where to begin.
- a warning from the newspaper biz | overland literary journal: Can the book industry learn from what’s happening to newspapers? Amongst the great questions asked is: “Will an author’s share of revenue on e-books be a traditional fixed percentage, or a variable, we’re-not-going-to-tell-you-what-we-received-from-your-work-but-here’s-a-quarter-go-buy-yourself-something-nice percentage of advertising revenue that Google might deign to dole out (as it does with ad revenue to site/blog owners)?”