September 15th, 2019

Transmitters off. See you in Sydney tomorrow.

@SnarkyPlatypus Well yeah, it’s Thai and not-Thai. I do have some photos from yesterday to show you too.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

OH, boomer in the row behind: “This chicken, is it safe”? Another one asks whether they can have a cappuccino with..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…cl

@karinakeisler Kookaburras are such smug arseholes. Just look at this one, @SnarkyPlatypus!

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to karinakeisler

mattjhatton Because I am a fucking idiot I paid too much money to get myself a mug that some fucking random sent @dobes. pic.twitter.com/LBgvjYA6xM

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 9:48 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@chrisrauchle @schlutes That’s not a universal socket. Hence the converter. Which is heavy.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to chrisrauchle

@JustJimWillDo So, the problem with the pants I’m wearing, and I wish I’d noticed this before I bought them, is tha..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Wc

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to JustJimWillDo

GaryLineker To be fair to him, that’s not sledging, that’s just an honest observation. twitter.com/piersmorgan/st…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 9:42 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

sovietvisuals “A photo of my wife in 1986.” Izhevsk, USSR

via Andrei Bushmelev pic.twitter.com/CbhIiwnSft

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 9:41 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

quendergeer When your cockatiel starts attacking his little mirror pic.twitter.com/zch7hH936X

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 9:41 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@ApostrophePong I saw the new tracks on the way north. So much is being built right now.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to ApostrophePong

@jplonie It’s business class airline food.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jplonie

It could be up to 90 minutes before I have another meal.

One hour until departure. Wondering whether to have more pre-dinner food or wait until I’m on the plane.

seveniste @stilgherrian I’ve had it in for the cricket since I was in highschool. The ABC used to play it instead of Dr Who i..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…RT

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 9:22 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@franksting @SnarkyPlatypus You put the sauce on the noodles, if you want.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to franksting

@oberonsghost @SnarkyPlatypus Remind me again what “discretionary” means?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to oberonsghost

POLL: Which is more stupidly overrated? Please show your working. Please retweet.

via Twitter for iPhone in reply to stilgherrian

But does cricket really matter though?

@SnarkyPlatypus Do we know anyone else who went to a Jesuit school?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

SydneyPead Nice to see there is ONE woman speaking at the anti-choice rally in Sydney today. 1 out of 9 ain’t bad. pic.twitter.com/Ve7NroRaBt

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 9:07 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@ApostrophePong It’s raining quite a bit at Suvarnabhumi right now.

HongKongFP A woman bearing a Donald Trump 2020 re-election banner briefly stood in front of the crowd at the British Consulate..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…kt

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 8:59 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

phbarratt Just look at those two Riverview boys ranting! twitter.com/phoebe2302/sta…

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 8:58 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Prisonblogger Next time you read about someone getting themselves sent to prison so they can get ‘detox’ - this is what they ge..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…l7

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 8:56 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@franksting Each time the offending party reset the power and started again, he’d blow the circuits again, and kept..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…kQ

@franksting Someone I know had a way of dealing with this, and used it for loud music. He made a power plug that wa..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…ZU

via TweetDeck in reply to franksting

@upulie @James_Jeffrey Oh I am having a sook right now. Your maple syrup foolishness has ruined my entire evening.

via TweetDeck in reply to upulie

@James_Jeffrey It was going so well, and then @upulie ruined everything with this maple syrup nonsense.

via TweetDeck in reply to James_Jeffrey

SquigglyRick Amazing pic.twitter.com/vwcTy2W9CT

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:24 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

firstdogonmoon OMG HELEN twitter.com/SlayerRules_42…

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 8:22 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

NEW BLOG POST: “Weekly Wrap 485: Cybers in Chiang Mai, and such” stilgherrian.com/weekly-wrap/48… Covers 9–15 Septemberpic.twitter.com/XbLob7F2cTcT

@redtwitdown Thanks, I’ll give this a try when it seems the right place to experiment with a shaver.

via TweetDeck in reply to redtwitdown

@kcarruthers @franksting @SnarkyPlatypus Look they just gave us all knives so who am I to question their judgement?

via TweetDeck in reply to kcarruthers

Yeah I knew we were running ahead of schedule. pic.twitter.com/rTpHCGKMPm

Transmitters off. See you in Bangkok.

Business class for an 80-minute flight is such a wank.

@ApostrophePong Am emotional day, eh? May good fortune go with you! And lol you’re a landlord now.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to ApostrophePong

Ah! We’re boarding from the international side. I am pre-cleared to transfer at Bangkok,

OK so this is weird. I’m still the right gate, it’s less than 25 minutes to departure, we’ve got an A330 wide-body..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6h

@nnwakelam @ApostrophePong The country town aspect hit me on the way to the airport earlier. Narrow, bendy roads. A..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…QS

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to nnwakelam

@nnwakelam @ApostrophePong I wish I’d had more time to explore. I really like it.

via TweetDeck in reply to nnwakelam

@nnwakelam Well I was the APNIC conference in CMX earlier in the week, and caught up with @ApostrophePong in BKK be..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Ob

via TweetDeck in reply to nnwakelam

In which gravity helps me stay in the correct Thai mode of engineering. pic.twitter.com/jr6Ld1qzYd

THAILAND WINNING THE WAR ON BUZZING THINGS.

@humusbeings That would’ve just been embarrassing for everyone.

via TweetDeck in reply to humusbeings

@kiwibrew I’m not surprised to hear that. @ApostrophePong took me to the main one in Bangkok and it looked a bit over the top.

via TweetDeck in reply to kiwibrew

In the US the TSA would’ve just ripped open the bag etc because God Bless America. Here in Chiang Mai, the security..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…VK

It has been determined after some discussion that I’m to carry the shaver in my cabin baggage.

Ah OK, my checked-in bag is making a buzzing noise. My shaver has turned itself on because the switch is a stupid p..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…q2

Causing a security incident. Stand by lol.

@SnarkyPlatypus @glengyron Ah. Almost everyone in the lounge just left to board China Eastern Airlines MU206 to Sha..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1t

@munin @SnarkyPlatypus @glengyron That’s terrible. Also, it’s dried, and in packaging, and then in a sealed duty-free thingy.

via TweetDeck in reply to munin

MarcusduSautoy When I spotted @kimjoyskitchen recipe @guardian for mango tart with geometric fruit pieces, the mathematician in me..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Wx

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 4:57 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

BennettArron I was on stage chatting with a couple who said they’d been dating for 11 years. I ‘suggested’ that the guy propose..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…le

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 4:43 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@SnarkyPlatypus @glengyron The guy with all the durian looks miserable. I don’t think his durian has brought him much joy.

@DrRhysPockett “What did the Europeans ever do for us?”

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to DrRhysPockett

@franksting Look I can’t help it if you’ve made poor life choices.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to franksting

Chinese tourists with vast supplies of dried durian sealed in their duty-free bags from King Power, the largest and..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…AM

I wonder if I’ll get complaints if I mention that the term “almond milk” goes back to at least medieval Europe.

In the Thai Airways lounge at CNX. It is my intention to eat a lot of dumplings.

Being passed by a small funeral procession. pic.twitter.com/QgTpewlnYm

Here we go. Google Maps never quite seems to understanding which way I’m facing. pic.twitter.com/N5KEAUzORW

@SnarkyPlatypus Also I’ve just been told my car is ready.

johnb78 This is the one of the most amazing ideas ever: screwing up the navigational systems of V1 bombs by turning the sou..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Xh

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 3:15 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@SnarkyPlatypus I’m lazy. I’m getting the hotel shuttle to the airport. At first I thought “Wow 250 baht is so expe..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…p0

@miranda_maybe One of the grumpiest-looking fish I’ve ever met.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to miranda_maybe

Sun plan, midday ICT update: 1230 hotel shuttle to airport (I was too lazy to negotiate something cheaper); lunch i..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…K5

@purserj @SnarkyPlatypus Yeah though I think they’re more unpredictable — chaotic if you will, at least from a huma.twitter.com/i/web/status/1…vkQ

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to purserj

_midofo_ Thanks Duluth Trading for this youtube.com/watch?v=pBJk3X…

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 2:55 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@SnarkyPlatypus More freshwater deities up here. The naga shown on all the wat is the source of the Ping River, the..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3r

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@SnarkyPlatypus Oops. Most of the things I have been calling dragons are actually naga, and now I feel like an idio..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Ye

@guardianelm @SnarkyPlatypus You can’t make a dildo out of chocolate.

via TweetDeck in reply to guardianelm

@j_s_n_d Are we talking about the same internet here?

via TweetDeck in reply to j_s_n_d

A magnificent example of the period. A fantastic view from that balcony at the top, too, though they don’t let you..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…W1

Remember, kids, this is what the internet is made of. twitter.com/justincormack/…

shortbread9241 Passive aggressive Alaskan map of the United States pic.twitter.com/kI8cAu0ZYo

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 2:21 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

dark_shark Cornell’s Macaulay Library: A scientific archive of 150,000 bird calls and animal sounds ..twitter.com/i/web/status/8…Kn

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 2:14 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

gordihyena My roommate got super stoned a couple weeks back and found out you can order a personalized big toblerone. He immed..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…pv

via Fenix 2 (retweeted on 2:11 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

BTW, @SnarkyPlatypus, it proved really difficult to find a dragon last night. The only ones I could see for sale we..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…ua

garthk Buzzfeed should do a list of the top 20 cities of the world ranked by how their aesthetically pleasing their ruins will look in 100 years.

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 2:07 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

@SnarkyPlatypus You could have a busker playing “Under the Bridge” under it.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Well, @SnarkyPlatypus @ApostrophePong, I knew the financing deal had stalled but I didn’t know this cute little det..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…AE

GregoryVRaymond Thai officials baulked at China controlling land adjoining the high-speed rail line. After having seen what is occu..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Cx

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 1:59 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

developerjack My twitter is much nicer now. pic.twitter.com/47olrgbCPW

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 1:59 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

Anusknuller Boomers twitter.com/natureismetaI/…

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 1:55 PM, Sep 15th, 2019 via TweetDeck)

Goddammit I had a refreshing post-breakfast nap yet I’m still nearly two hours ahead of schedule.

via Twitter Web App in reply to stilgherrian

Jeff_Sparrow We’ve always been at war with Eastasia. twitter.com/CampbellNewman…

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 11:42 AM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

lewis_goodall The Prime Minister is saying that if necessary he will ignore the Commons and break the law. Elaborating on this po..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…mf

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 11:32 AM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

NeilMcMahon “Poorly phrased”… twitter.com/nytopinion/sta…

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 11:24 AM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@SnarkyPlatypus Actually a podcast series based on a listening tour of white ghetto suburbs could be quite funny.

@SnarkyPlatypus You don’t listen though. Why do we never hear their concerns?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@SnarkyPlatypus Have you been kidnapped? Blink twice and praise Midnight Oil.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@SnarkyPlatypus Lunch, probably, plus a dose of existential despair.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

realweirddata I have no idea why this was marked as wrong. 😂 pic.twitter.com/5ttjpJYecP

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 11:04 AM, Sep 15th, 2019 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Me at @zdnetaustralia Friday: “‘Screaming car wreck’ of internet routing needs a fire brigade: Geoff Huston”..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…d6

Me at @zdnetaustralia Wednesday: “Suspected Commonwealth Games DDoS was only a Fortnite update”..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…iT

Me at @zdnetaustralia Monday: “Australian government’s data sharing principles far from agreed upon”..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…BN

Three quick plugs for things I wrote this week. Here we go…

@SnarkyPlatypus Agreed. I should probably see Jakarta before it sinks too.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@SnarkyPlatypus I liked being in a smaller South-East Asian city too. I do like Bangkok, of course, but a city of 9..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…TQ

@SnarkyPlatypus I rather liked it, though I only saw a small bit of it of course. Tourism is obviously a big thing,..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…FZ

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Sun plan: Slow start, because Sunday and lazy; 1230 ICT shuttle to airport; lunch; 1510 TG0111 CNX-BKK; ponder the..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…MW

Sunday. If a town has a beach then it is a beach town. Sunday.