I’m hoping that Monday 2 to Sunday 8 July 2018 will have been the last of a series of less-productive weeks, now that I’ve probably throw out all the intestinal bugs, and that I’ve got my computer back.
I’m very happy to finally present these first few items.
- “The 9pm Probe: John Birmingham, author and columnist”, being The 9pm Edict episode 77. You can also listen to it on SoundCloud and Spreaker.
The first tranche of the Crikey Prying Eyes series has been released. I was the series editor, and my first two stories are now out there.
- Prying Eyes: Welcome to a world where your privacy is being sold for billions, Crikey, 2 July 2018. This is the free-to-read intro to the series.
- Dark patterns: the tricks and traps used to lure you into handing over personal data, Crikey, 2 July 2018.
Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
The Week Ahead
It’s all about writing this week. On Monday I need to finish a piece for Crikey, then it’s the start of several weeks in July and August when I’m writing primarily for ZDNet, covering for staff who are taking leave. That’ll keep me busy.
I hope to get a magazine-style episode of The 9pm Edict done some time this week too, but I haven’t set a date yet.
Things I’ve pencilled in, none of which have been confirmed yet:
- SINET 61, Melbourne, 31 July – 1 August. (TBC)
- D61+ LIVE, Brisbane, 18–19 September. (TBC)
- Australian Cyber Conference, formerly the Australian Information Security Association (AISA) National Conference, Melbourne, 9–11 October.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals ANZ (iappANZ) Annual Summit, Privacy: Handling the Seismic Shift, Melbourne, 1 November. (TBC)
[Photo: Foggy morning in Werrington. The view south from a train passing through the western Sydney suburb of Werrington on a foggy winter morning, 4 July 2018.]
5at5 50 to 50 Artemis Medical Fund Arts Blogging Business Conversations Defence Ecology Engineering Enmore Film Found Art Getting Things Done Hallucinating Goldfish History Human Nature Humour Internet Language Marketing Media Melbourne Music Only One Name Personal Photography Politics Privacy Project TOTO Religion Space Stilgherrian Live Sydney Thailand The 9pm Edict The Core Transparency Weekly Poll Weekly Wrap