My week of Monday 10 to Sunday 16 June 2019 included another lovely trip to Canberra, but also an annoying viral bug that wiped me out for a whole day on Friday, and then work days on Saturday and Sunday. Balance?
- “The 9pm Ladybird Baby Formula Alligator Doom Watch”, being The 9pm Edict episode 88. This unscheduled episode was recorded when I got cranky on the Queen’s Birthday holiday. It’s also on Spreaker and SoundCloud.
- Australia signals Indo-Pacific focus for Five Eyes, ZDNet Australia, 13 July 2019. This is my first story from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) conference War in 2025.
More stories from the conference should appear next week. For now, here’s my Twitter threads from the first panel discussion Geopolitical realities—trends that will shape the world of 2025, the keynote by Peter W Singer, and the third panel Technologies that will shape future warfare. Some of these sessions will eventually appear on ASPI’s YouTube channel.
I also wrote two stories on the weekend, both of which will appear at ZDNet on Monday morning.
- I made my own way to Canberra this week, but of course there was plenty of food and drink at the “War in 2025” conference. There was also a little swag, including an ASPI tote bag, and a Northrop Grumman notepad and pencil made primarily of recycled materials.
The Week Ahead
On Monday I’ll be writing in Sydney before taking the train back to Wentworth Falls later in the day. There will be more writing on Tuesday.
On Wednesday afternoon I’ll head down to Sydney for an event that evening, Building the New Malaysia: From elation to frustration at the Lowy Institute, before crashing there overnight. In Sydney, yes, but not at the Lowy Institute.
A new episode of The 9pm Edict podcast with Nicholas Fryer will be recorded on Friday and posted that night. That night is also the Winter Solstice, for what it’s worth.
Beyond that, here’s a very partial list of some events that I’m planning to attend. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets.
- Hugh White: How to defend Australia, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 16 July 2019.
- Mapping power in Asia, the launch of the 2019 Lowy Institute Asia Power Index, Sydney, 23 July 2019.
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit, Sydney, 19–20 August 2019.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8–10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.
[Photo: Approaching Goulburn by Rail on 12 June 2019. The tower on the horizon is the Rocky Hill War Memorial and Museum, “built as a lasting tribute to the gallant men of Goulburn and district who served in World War I”. It was opened in 1925.]