Look, I’ve been thinking about this stuff all week and I can’t decide. So over to you. Scroll down for a Proper Scientific Poll on the Internet! What media stuff would you like me to do?
I last wrote about this in January, in Five questions and no answers about my media work. Read that before proceeding if you like, but it’s not absolutely necessary.
My regular media commitments currently stand at: a weekly column for ZDNet; a twice-a-month column for CSO Online; around one column a month for Technology Spectator; and a variable number for Crikey. Add in the occasional piece elsewhere, and it looks a little like this.
The main problem is that the base level of material isn’t high enough, and in recent months it’s started getting a little wobbly. So, how can I build on what I’ve got? And how can I have a bit more fun?
Now one approach is simply to do more writing, and indeed I’m currently talking to a small handful of mastheads about that. I’d certainly get commissioned to do more stories if I pitched to editors more conscientiously, particularly those who’ve already tasted my work, like ABC The Drum and the Sydney Morning Herald. I’ll continue to explore that.
But I’ve also done audio and video programs. Sometimes regularly, like the now-defunct weekly Patch Monday podcast for ZDNet. Sometimes far from regularly, like the Stilgherrian Live video program, or The 9pm Edict podcast. I’ve had some ideas for new podcasts. And I’ve done odd little live written things too, like the Gonzo-like tweeting. I’ve enjoyed all of them, and I’ve already explained how I might get someone to pay for them.
My problem? I can’t decide which of these things to do — or rather, which to give priority to. So here’s a list of possibilities, and a poll.
- Corrupted Nerds, which I’ve briefly described previously. I’m thinking this could be a podcast along the lines of Patch Monday, but with the main focus being an interview with security experts and other iconoclastic geeks. I’m already having interesting conversations, and it’d be easy to share them.
- The 9pm Edict, or an evolution thereof, being a “strange talk show” including occasional interviews. I do like the idea of having a more strongly-focused theme, such as visiting places or experiencing events. The 9pm Eurovision, The 9pm Miss Pole Dancing Australia, The 9pm Dentist or The 9pm Gold Coast.
- Stilgherrian Live, returning as a live video program, but evolved and improved somehow.
- Smaller-scale live coverage. As I wrote before, I could “live-tweet from a random night out. Crowdsource around $300 to pay for my meals, drinks and cab fares and a modest profit. Whoever coughs up $150 gets to name the location I check out. Anyone who pays over $50 gets a signed copy of the Twitterstream printed on archival paper.” Those price points are just a suggestion. It could instead be live audio or even video.
- Event-based media packages, such as covering a hacker conference or PonyCon AU or a road trip to Orange.
- Get over yourself, Stilgherrian, and just do more of what you’re currently doing.
- Something else? I’m open to suggestions.
So here’s the poll…
You may choose up to three options. Voting closes at midnight this Friday 10 May 2013 Australian Eastern Standard Time. Don’t forget to explain yourself in the comments.