December 9th, 2014

crikey_news Joe Hockey takes his budget talk to the streets, as captured by @deptofaustralia: pic.twitter.com/AsFSXA1sz7

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 8:55 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

In a SEKRIT eyrie.

Still chuckling quietly.

via Plume for Android

People who don’t know how ships work.

Just in case there is any doubt… instagram.com/p/wYUr4YCFva/

via Instagram

Smirking quietly to myself.

via Plume for Android

The “Voyager of the Seas” departs Sydney, all 137,000 tons of it. pic.twitter.com/ZGCj2fxY5c

They’re turning that fucker around without any tugs. pic.twitter.com/KoWYXT5Qyq

via Plume for Android

Me: “Have a good night, guys.” Tequila Boy: “Yeah peace out.” Me: “My God, 1995 never ended.” TB: “Yeah, grade 3 was awesome.” Me: [Cry.]

via Plume for Android

I just heard three short blasts from “Voyager of the Seas”. I might go and watch them turn that massive ship around.

GreenJ coming up … how australian trade unions faked the moon landings.

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 6:42 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@Drag0nista So this new version fails to achieve that aim, and just pisses everyone off to avoid the word “backflip”? Bravo.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to Drag0nista

sacca We need more women in venture capital. But first maybe the @WSJ can stop cutting them out of the picture. Literally. pic.twitter.com/7lTtSg3xWh

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:37 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@failathon My complaint is the slack-jawed rebleating of a business’ slogan as objective truth.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to failathon

@failathon Its not “the front page of the Internet” if the vast majority don’t use it as such. The phrase is just Kool-Aid bullshit.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to failathon

Who’s the gormless twat on the left?

via Plume for Android

In which @ellinghausen documents the trustworthiness of the leadership. pic.twitter.com/5Cd5yCl7nA

via Plume for Android

Even the of the tequila boys is unlikely to persuade me to stay.

via Plume for Android

Coopers has gone off-tap. Contemplating arson.

via Plume for Android

@Drag0nista @expectproblems So what was the actual purpose of the damn thing anyway?

via Plume for Android in reply to Drag0nista

samanthamaiden Quite an image “@billshortenmp: This isn’t a backdown – this is a GP Tax through the backdoo@TonyAbbottMHRHRpic.twitter.com/e0PMErNmQUQU”

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:15 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

@uskovic Um, this is unlikely to end well…

via Plume for Android in reply to uskovic

MikeCarlton01 Conjugating the verb “to Windschuttle.” As in I Windschuttle, you are Windschuttling, they have been Windschuttled.” Etc.

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 6:11 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

@uskovic They’re the weirdest butt plugs I’ve ever seen!

via Plume for Android in reply to uskovic

@ruminski There’s Coopers. I’m surviving.

via Plume for Android in reply to ruminski

RT @GreenJ none of you are being the least bit helpful. [Achievement unlocked!]

Well this is my view, what’s yours? pic.twitter.com/ysMsWs1lKQ

via Plume for Android

The young gentlemen sitting next to me are drinking tequila shots that have a shot of espresso added.

via Plume for Android

RT @MrCsandDs The saddest thing you will ever read RT “@stilgherrian: If anyone wants me, I’ll be at The Fortune of War.” [True.]

via Plume for Android

RT @GuardianAus William and Kate meet Jay-Z, Beyonce and LeBron James at NBA game trib.al/GAaH4Gm [Poor bastards…]

via Plume for Android

If anyone wants me, I’ll be at The Fortune of War.

via Plume for Android

dobes Mr 32 percent is REKT RT @GhostWhoVotes: Poll Abbott: Approve 32 (-7) Disapprove 55 (+5)

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 5:32 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

WELL I AM STILL AT CIRCULAR QUAY AND NONE OF YOU HAVE OFFERED TO BUY ME A DRINK TWITTER MUST BE BROKEN OR YOU ARE JUST ARSEHOLES.

via Plume for Android

NewtonMark What if the barnacle is Tony? Has anyone thought of that?

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 5:18 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

RT @joshgnosis Shorten on GP co-payment: “He’s gonna bring it through your backdoor” [Knowing my GP, that’s probably true.]

via Plume for Android

The_SolarSystem ✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨EUROPA✨ pic.twitter.com/fqAsfDdSdN

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 5:12 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

Reddit the “front page of the internet”? By their own stats, they see less than 10% of internet users. reddit.com/about/ [CORRECTED]

via Janetter for Mac

Right. It’s 1700 AEDT and I’m at Circular Quay, Sydney. I am at your disposal. Bids are now open.

via Janetter for Mac

Anyone who wants their brand to be “viral” needs to spend the afternoon at an infectious diseases clinic and listen to people’s stories.

via Janetter for Mac

Remember, before being “impressed” by anyone’s website statistics, make sure you first divide by two billion.

via Janetter for Mac

RT @CraigDaveson: that’s only one subreddit stil [I stand corrected. Still, most of the internet does NOIT use Reddit.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to CraigDaveson

@dannolan You can do better that that. That’s borderline complimentary. Let your bile run free.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to dannolan

I love* the received wisdom that Reddit is a Good Thing, not just some ephemeral buzzfart of the zeitgeist. Unquestioned assumption.

via Janetter for Mac

RT @Talen_Lee: Buy a stick. This is what capitalism has done to us pic.twitter.com/VP4tMntl64 [Safer than real sticks. I’m all for it.]

via Janetter for Mac

How come Chris Mitchell gets all the good drugs?

via Janetter for Mac

RT @jeamland: Who? [According to Wikipedia, he’s Australia’s Minister for Health. Junior minister under Peta Credlin.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeamland

Colvinius@ABCnewsIntern “[Sharri Markson] is the best editor the [media] section has ever had.” C Mitchell crikey.com.au/?p=471808@meadea @leysie

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 4:40 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

So who’d be Peter Dutton, eh?

via Janetter for Mac

Dear PR firms, if you’re sending “cybersecurity predictions for 2015” emails today, you’re pretty much at the tail end of the pack.

via Janetter for Mac

@CosmicRami I don’t carry a lot of diced bread with me, alas.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to CosmicRami

@ssharwood Yeah, but I don’t think that was their point.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ssharwood

Damn. They’ve departed. I was going to introduce myself and ask which year they were at the Bank of Montreal.

via Janetter for Mac

OH: “My parents’ neighbours are Olivia Newton-John, and Jessica Simpson’s parents on the other side, and that house is $14 million.”

via Janetter for Mac

These two guys are now complaining about Sydney real estate prices, compared with “my house in Toronto”. OK, Canadian, not American.

via Janetter for Mac

OH: “When I was at the Bank of Montreal, and I had [REDACTED] on my team, they were useless.”

via Janetter for Mac

OH: “He once said in an email, ‘Leave it to the technical geeks’.”

via Janetter for Mac

OH: [Whiny American accents complaining that they’re not running Abu Dhabi out of Frankfurt, but it’s because of “leverage ratios”.]

via Janetter for Mac

5at5daily 5at5 number 118: Shanghai, Los Angeles, Bangkok and Chernobyl, plus the cultures of journalism. tinyletter.com/5at5/letters/5… (Yes, it sent today.)

via Janetter for Mac (retweeted on 4:18 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

I think it’s fair to say that Crusader Rabbit is the greatest political communicator of the 21st Century. But then I’ve been drinking.

via Janetter for Mac

@reselsnark Yeah look I could also impale my own head on an iron spike, but I choose not to do that either.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to reselsnark

How would that even work? Maybe I should phone my MP and ask how my healthcare is bring improved.

via Plume for Android

If the tweets I’m seeing about the GP copayment are even remotely related to reality then the Australian government is clearly insane.

Loose at Circular Quay.

via Plume for Android

@safzoro I’m sure I have no idea what you’re talking about.

via Plume for Android in reply to safzoro

Remember when journalists thought that a steak and mushroom pie was glamorous eating?

via Plume for Android

@BXGD Agreed. This is all “the same things will continue”, and it matches vendor predictions.

via Plume for Android in reply to BXGD

@jodiem Yep, this is how we report on things now. Quick and to the point.

via Plume for Android in reply to jodiem

And here is the final bit of Symantec’ predictions… Now shut up and bring me my barramundi. pic.twitter.com/Cv1a5mjROz

via Plume for Android

More predictions from Symantec, and a smear of herb butter. pic.twitter.com/YxI2D5C12w

via Plume for Android

Symantec predictions 5 through 7: read it yourself, I’m eating oysters. pic.twitter.com/MyiREEYl98

via Plume for Android

Symantec predictions 3 and 4: mobiles as targets, and Rawson ware. pic.twitter.com/SvHwfLZIv1

Oops here’s the image for prediction number 1. pic.twitter.com/W8EsAZvp3d

via Plume for Android

Number 2: Apps will eat your private life and spit it out again. pic.twitter.com/VDT5E5UtJu

via Plume for Android

Symantec predictions for 2015 number 1: Refridgergeddon!

via Plume for Android

Symantec has been running cyber wargames with clients, and has now productised the ability to run them.

via Plume for Android

The North Sydney SOC gets a plug. It’s growing again.

via Plume for Android

The formalities kick off with @SymantecANZ’s @seankopelke telling us how well they’re doing in this region.

via Plume for Android

eevee actually, you’re thinking of the scientist. the monster was called GNU/Frankenstein

via Twirssi (retweeted on 12:15 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

danielhurstbne Hockey’s office has released transcript of an interview with 2GB this AM. Quick analysis: Treasurer said 93 words, Alan Jones said 547 words

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 12:13 PM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

According to the news, Tony Abbott is twerking at young parents. I’m sure that’s what it said.

via Plume for Android

“Powerful, highly stealthy Linux trojan may have infected victims for years”, reports @arstechnica arstechnica.com/security/2014/…

via Plume for Android

The real question, I suppose, is whether we need it to be on, or just want it to be on. I think we need it to be on.

via Plume for Android

If it’s not on, we’re all going to be so disappointed.

via Plume for Android

glengyron Oh no. He’s going to beg for pity-sex. RT @AustraliaPM: Tony Abbott says he’s in a rough patch bit.ly/1w3mz7P

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 11:22 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

@affirmrisk @LockheedMartin @jturner_ibrs @rycrozier You still need a bunch of sophistication and money to manage and pay for it though.

via Plume for Android

OH: “We have so many Indians out our way now, I have to get the other train to avoid them all.”

via Plume for Android

Before you complain, the headline on the ministerial press release calls it a “foreign bribery tool”, so that’s what it is.

Apparently it’s Anti-Corruption Day, and the Australian government has launched a “Foreign Bribery Tool”. ag.gov.au/foreignbribery

benwebster Waleed Aly just said the most important word I hoped to hear at & the one that’s sorely missing from startup culture…”humility”!

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 10:40 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

HawthorneLAT Somebody angry about the Latinization of L.A. just wrote to tell me he fears the city itself might wind up with a “Hispanic sounding name”

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 10:36 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

@noreasonspec I’d suggest that if the kids don’t know how to not make a call then they shouldn’t be handed an unlocked phone.

via Plume for Android in reply to noreasonspec

Just launched by @nswpolice, the Emergency+ app, for Android (puctured) and iOS. pic.twitter.com/JwWdGkX79A

via Plume for Android

“Territorians wrote on the NT Police Facebook page urging officers to ‘give peas a chance’.” Oh Darwin, never change.

“Man directs peak-hour traffic with bag of frozen peas”, reports @abcnews abc.net.au/news/5953566

via iOS

@andrewdotnich It’s a long story and he started it and you have no proof to the contrary.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to andrewdotnich

@rycrozier @jturner_ibrs @LockheedMartin Running a full cyber kill chain defence? Might as well ask ‘em to launch a Mars shot.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to rycrozier

@rycrozier @LockheedMartin But yes, I agree with @jturner_ibrs. Few organisation can afford to run such rich intelligence operations.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to rycrozier

@rycrozier @jturner_ibrs @LockheedMartin Damn. I was really hoping for (The) Price Is Right.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to rycrozier

@mpesce Dear Mr Aly, when did you finally realise you were a robot?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to mpesce

@jturner_ibrs @LockheedMartin What is a PIR? None of these choices make sense. Although some are funny. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pir

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jturner_ibrs

fanfiction_txt “wow” I thought “I can’t believe pokemon had their own school system with their own social hierarchy like the jocks and neurds”

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 9:43 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@oberonsghost Kookaburras are smug show-offs but really not so bright.

via Plume for Android in reply to oberonsghost

RT @dobes @stilgherrian highly relevant to twitter.com/davpope/status… [Agreed. That’s some fine @davpope right there.]

via Plume for Android

I predict, @dobes, that will be a common thing once we have a federal ICAC.

via Plume for Android

dobes ‘Pyne got around guidelines that prevent spouses on trips … with a letter of approval by Mr Abbott’s chief-of-staff, Peta Credlin.’

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 9:26 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

@leslienassar Why? What’s the poor thing ever done to you?

via Plume for Android in reply to leslienassar

mrtiedt This cartoon from @davpope. Wow. The joke is funny, but the caricature is out of this world.
theage.com.au/photogallery/f… pic.twitter.com/nJv13v2owD

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 9:21 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

ow Also, Sony is now issuing DMCA notices for Google searches about its leaks pic.twitter.com/FR3pb16ACL

via Twitter for Mac (retweeted on 9:20 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Plume for Android)

Wow. A flock of a dozen horny kookaburras squabbling for mates is VERY VERY LOUD.

via Plume for Android

Thank you, SwiftKey, for knowing that the words I wanted after “I am getting” were “a little bit excited now”. Five keystrokes FTW.

via Plume for Android

Three bastard cylinders and a mini-bastard.

via Plume for Android

@PointZeroOne Nah, that’s just one a little tabletop stove running butane cylinders. The stove hasn’t been installed in this building yet.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to PointZeroOne

Ah, the joys of being off-grid. You poles-and-wires proles just have no idea.

via Janetter for Mac

This means that I will be unshaven today, because I don’t have time to wrangle LPG cylinders.

via Janetter for Mac

That thing where the LPG cylinder runs out while you’re under the shower. I AM COMPLETELY AWAKE NOW.

“Flash a-ah
Savior of the Universe
Flash a-ah
He’ll save every one of us.”
youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z8…

via Janetter for Mac

@cathywilcox1 Like this. With asparagus, mushroom and chilli, in oyster sauce, dark soy and lime juice. pic.twitter.com/aLUhzyVZAk

via Janetter for Mac in reply to cathywilcox1

@michaelneale “The best camera is the one that’s with you,” allegedly by Chase Jarvis, according to a lazy Google. And yes, I agree.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to michaelneale

SwiftOnSecurity What companies look like to a pentester. pic.twitter.com/iXlzMG5uGA

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:11 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

Tue plan: Pig (done); 0924 train to Sydney, writing en route; errand, Enmore; 1230 Symantec lunch; recording; @5at5daily; return train.

via Janetter for Mac

So, like that Christmas carol, “The Good King winced his ass, on the fist of Stephen…”

via Janetter for Mac

@michaelneale Thanks. And it shows how a compact camera is perfectly capable of taking good photos.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to michaelneale

@NewtonMark What is a “big ass scoop”, and do you need to use a lubricant?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to NewtonMark

@derekbradley Alas, I don’t seem to have a sugar daddy in Barcelona. It’s terrible.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to derekbradley

johnb78 I have some questions about school chaplains for the compilers about the Australian citizenship test. pic.twitter.com/WyCBnSsYDY

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 7:51 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

@JanJoostBouwman I’m relying on memory, so I may have confused prices.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to JanJoostBouwman

I accidentally all the pig.

via Janetter for Mac

scottamcintyre Am I the only one who is a bit disappointed that “dissolving parliament” isn’t as literal as it could be?

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 7:28 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

Finally, add hokkien noodles and fresh chilli. pic.twitter.com/aLUhzyVZAk

via Plume for Android

We add oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, and lime juice.

via Plume for Android

This is what the rosellas are eating: mountain devil (Lambertia formosa). flickr.com/photos/stilghe… pic.twitter.com/05zbEl1YxL

via Janetter for Mac

Yet another goddam Crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans), May 2012. @bunjaree sees plenty. flickr.com/photos/stilghe… pic.twitter.com/OmkFcTDGld

via Janetter for Mac

RT @Steve_Lockstep: Vandals! Reminds me obliquely that great scratches on tree trunks, attributed to Lithgow lions, are actually cockatoos.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to Steve_Lockstep

And think, if you can smuggle live rosellas and lorikeets out of Australia, you can get $20,000+ each on the black market. If caught, jail.

via Janetter for Mac

(Not to be confused with MS Rosella, a Baltic Sea cruise-ferry, built in 1980 and operating for Viking Line.)

via Janetter for Mac

@stephenmore1and You’re more likely to have the Eastern rosella (Platycercus eximius), I’m guessing. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_r…

via Janetter for Mac in reply to stephenmore1and

Another Crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans) from March 2012, or probably the same one. flickr.com/photos/stilghe… pic.twitter.com/8eFVHzPWLW

via Janetter for Mac

A Crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans) from March 2012. flickr.com/photos/stilghe… pic.twitter.com/2jag5titWt

via Janetter for Mac

The juveniles have green feathers, for camouflage. The feathers turn red and blue as they mature, or “ripen”.

via Janetter for Mac

Having crimson rosellas here every day, it’s easy to forget how magnificent they are. Here’s a juvenile in flight. pic.twitter.com/6b78uAgSfj

via Janetter for Mac

Crimson rosellas (Platycercus elegans) filmed at @bunjaree’s Banksia Cottage in May 2012. youtube.com/watch?v=6tp8Zq… Ping @SnarkyPlatypus

via Janetter for Mac

RT @SnarkyPlatypus: Handsome birds. [And smart, too, but such messy eaters. Flower fragments and debris everywhere!]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

RT @SnarkyPlatypus: Peter Hartcher’s scoop is pretty lame. [Worst. Euphemism. Ever.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Two crimson rosellas arrive to systematically denude a mountain devil of its flowers, like this one from March 2013. pic.twitter.com/RnGAyNCw3U

via Janetter for Mac

“Molly Sauter’s quest to make political DDoS legitimate”, by @JoeUchill at @CSMPasscode passcode.csmonitor.com/swarm

Brûlez tous les nuages!

via Janetter for Mac

@SnarkyPlatypus Bonjour. Le nuage est baisée. Je vais brûler tous les nuages. Et vous?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

It seems that @5at5daily is still failing to be sent. @tinyletter is on the case, however.

via Janetter for Mac

Tue plan: Pig; 0920 train to Sydney, writing en route; errand, Enmore; 1230 Symantec lunch; recording; @5at5daily; return train.

via Janetter for Mac

M_Taverniti Thieves who ransacked Doonside home last week have returned overnight, demanding passwords for stolen computer. Beyond belief. @NewsTalk2UE

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 6:01 AM, Dec 9th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

Tuesday. They scrape out the final scraps of useful data, and you are of no further value. They laugh, and turn away. Tuesday.