Monday 25 November to Sunday 1 December 2019 was a remarkably productive week. Three articles, three speeches or seminars, some social activities, and nearly a podcast. Read on!
You might find Thursday’s An address on China by Tony Abbott at the Lowy Institute as fascinating as I did. It’s less brain-worm infected than I’d feared, though of course it was still Crusader Rabbit in action.
Even more fascinating was the previous night’s panel discussion, The disinformation age – can democracy survive social media?.
- Renewed calls for dedicated Australian cyber minister and cyber leadership, ZDNet, 25 November 2019.
- Australia’s NBN a hell of an achievement: Malcolm Turnbull, ZDNet, 25 November 2019. I’m fascinated by how Turnbull is spinning the narrative of his legacy.
- No stars for Australia’s missing IoT cyber stars, ZDNet, 29 November 2019.
None, but on the weekend I did all of the pre-production for an episode of The 9pm Edict so it’s ready to record.
- There was food and drink at the two Lowy Institute events on Wednesday and Thursday, of course.
- On Monday one of my snarky tweets was quoted in an Independent Australia story, Scott Morrison’s religion and the bushfire crisis.
The Week Ahead
After an unexpected trip to Sydney on Sunday, it’s back repairs and then the return to Wentworth Falls on Monday afternoon. That’s all that’ll happen because I’ve come down with a dreadful cold.
Tuesday and Wednesday are about podcast recording and then research and writing respectively. I want to get a solid amount of work done before everything drops away over the holiday season.
On Thursday I’m taking an early train back down to Sydney for some bits and pieces in the morning. In the afternoon it’s the traditional and highly dangerous Communications & Internet Community Boat Cruise & After Party, though I won’t be going to the after party because that’s the most dangerous part of all.
I’ll stay in Sydney overnight for medical and other appointments on Friday before returning to the Blue Mountains.
Here’s the plan so far. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets if it’s outside the Sydney region.
- Taiwan’s 2020 Elections, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 10 December 2019.
- The 9pm Edict podcast recording with Nicholas Fryer, 12 December 2019.
- Avoiding war: How states negotiate, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 17 December 2019.
- APNIC 49 / APRICOT 2020, Melbourne, 18–21 February 2020.
[Photo: Trackwork equipment at Sydney Central station. With weekend trackwork in progress, several platforms at Sydney’s Central station were closed. This machine was parked at platform 17. Photographed on 1 December 2019.]