My week of Monday 21 to Sunday 27 January 2019 wasn’t terribly productive, but I’m blaming that on Australia’s habit of shutting down at Christmas and remaining shut all the way through to Australia Day.Continue reading “Weekly Wrap 452: Slow summer, with a famous train”
Articles, Podcasts, Corporate Largesse
- On Wednesday, I was interviewed by ABC Melbourne in an attempt to explain the Cloud.
The Week Ahead
On Monday, I’m wrapping up this phase of work for DirectorTech, at least ideally. There’s a chance it might overflow into Tuesday. Either way, Tuesday will also contain the running of errands in Leura and Katoomba. And on Tuesday or Wednesday I’ll write something for ZDNet.
Thursday will be a long one. It’s a Sydney day, including a briefing from Symantec at lunchtime, the now-traditional Annual Communications Industry Boat Cruise on Sydney Harbour in the afternoon, and drinks and dinner with friends in the evening.
Friday and the weekend are as yet unplanned, but I know there’s a lot to fit in.
The key items are the two podcasts.
- Sunday 17 December: “The 9pm Edict Public House Forum 5” will be recorded live at the West Ryde Hotel and streamed live from 1400 AEDT via stilgherrian.com/edict/live/ and Spreaker apps. You can still book a free audience spot.
- Tuesday 19 December: A regular episode, as always streamed live from stilgherrian.com/edict/live/ and Spreaker apps from 2100 AEDT.
Assuming that the Public House Forum podcast is well-received, I’m thinking of lining up more such episodes early in the new year. There’s support for the idea of doing one in Ballarat, with possibility of doing one in Melbourne en route. I’ll ponder that further in due course.
Other than that, I’ll be writing for ZDNet and generally winding down before the Christmas break. 2017 has been an exhausting year.
[Photo: Approaching Sydney Central station from the south on 29 November 2017.]
We’ve made it! Thanks to more than 50 supporters, there will be extra episodes of The 9pm Edict podcast over summer. With something secret and special added, because it’s, you know, summer.Continue reading “Updating “The 9pm Edict Summer Series””
You do want more of The 9pm Edict podcast, right? Especially over summer? Especially with something secret and special added because it’s, you know, summer?
Well, you’re in the right place. Contribute, and the podcasts will happen. The more you contribute, the more podcasts there’ll be.Continue reading “Announcing “The 9pm Edict Summer Series””
Since this post is already rather late getting online, I’ll stick to the facts, ma’am. Well, I’ll make one observation: Summer seems to have arrived.
- “The 9pm Personal Brand Enhancement Journey”, being The 9pm Edict episode 33. It’s nearly an hour long and contains, um, special sounds. I’ve also launched The 9pm Summer Scrounge subscriber drive, but there’ll be more about that tomorrow.
- All aboard the internet of things infosec hype train, ZDNet Australia, 11 December 2014.
It was a full week for 5at5, more or less, at least in the sense that five editions went out. Tuesday morning (being the one that was meant to go out on Friday), Tuesday evening, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. You might want to subscribe so you receive them all. Eventually.
- On Wednesday, I spoke about the future of jobs on ABC 720 Perth.
- On Tuesday, I went to Symantec’s end-of-year lunch at Aria Restaurant in Sydney. The food and wine was as wonderful as always. I had the oysters, the barramundi, the cheese, and the things that came afterwards.
The Week Ahead
By the time you see this, most of Monday will have already happened — despite the date on the post. Monday is mostly about catching up on many, many loose ends.
On Tuesday, I’ll be writing for Crikey, and then catching the train to Sydney to run a few errands and then drop in to the ABC at Ultimo to do spot for ABC 720 Perth. That’s at 1730 AEDT / 1430 AWST, and this will be regular thing every Tuesday afternoon across summer. I’m toying with the idea of staying in Sydney overnight. Make me an offer.
On Wednesday, I’ll be starting work on a server migration. On Thursday, I’ll be writing for ZDNet Australia. Friday is as yet unplanned. Much of the weekend is unplanned too, although I’ll be doing the bulk of the server migration at some unpleasant hour in that period.
[Photo: The ferry departs, a rather heavily processed photo of the wake left by a ferry departing Circular Quay in Sydney on 8 December 2014.]