July 25th, 2014

@jeffsonstein Or, “railroads”, “fiber”, what is wrong with you people? ;)

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

@jeffsonstein There’s a company here in AU doing the same, buying fibre rights from the railways, independently of the NBN etc.

via Janetter for Mac

@jeffsonstein I’m thinking Kansas City (for Google Fiber), Chattanooga TN, and Lafayetteville LA, and whatever else.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

@jeffsonstein And so much of the transcontinental fibre (fiber) follows the rail routes.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

@jeffsonstein Or “gigafiber”, as you might spell it. (Looks weird to me.)

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

@jeffsonstein Actually I’m formulating that as a plan. Not to drive, because I don’t, but to Amtrak it through the gigafibre cities.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

tinderfessions Tinder is the shit, how else could I plow 18 year olds now that I’m out of college - Mathew

via Buffer (retweeted on 11:45 PM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

tinderfessions Met a cop on tinder, fucked him in walmart parking lot. Then drove to meet up with another guy from tinder, fucked him for 4 hours - Shayna

via Buffer (retweeted on 11:42 PM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

@ApostrophePong I can say it’s my patch when there’s a barman who knows how I like my martinis, right? (OK, throw stones now.)

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong OK, OK, so I know SFO is better than DC, I can’t whinge. SFO is now the city I know best outside AU. “My patch”, even.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong It’s better to move a container full of slabs of beer than trying to replicate the production process.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong Yeah there’s issues to do with maintaining consistency with a smaller-scale brewery when there’s a global brand. Chemistry.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong But then again I’ve been to San Francisco quite a few times now, and to San Jose several times, and I know the Valley well.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong I’m envious ‘cos you’ve been on the US east coast. I haven’t been anywhere further east than Las Vegas.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong I’m kinda spoilt ‘cos I’ve been visiting the US at least twice a year and have had the chance to hang around.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong Yes, I agree. There’s smaller-scale American ales that are closer to Coopers Pale Ale, but you won’t get them outside US.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong Do you know whether you’re getting Sierra Nevada direct or made under license?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong It’s one of the beers I drink when in the US, but I must admit that the craft beer think is actually working in America.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to ApostrophePong

@ApostrophePong Sierra Nevada beer is everywhere now. Like herpes. But slightly more tasty.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to ApostrophePong

@petercoffee We must talk some time about this magic word “disruptive”. But it’s red wine time in AU, so I’ll butt out.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to petercoffee

@j_s_n_d Well that the professionalism in it, right? Knowing how to distill the whole thing to twonutes when we’d take ten.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to j_s_n_d

@jonoabroad They won’t. Because they are stupid and a waste of good carbon atoms.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

Meanwhile, Clarke & Dawe have made an outstanding thing, well, for Australians. youtube.com/watch?v=RSJzLf…

via Janetter for Mac

@petercoffee @briansolis I think what you mean is that most businesses don’t understand the difference between bullshit and actual reality.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to petercoffee

Well fuck you and your so-called “facts”.

@TheFailedProjek Ah yes of course. Well I’ll add that to the list of topics. I should play the game harder, I sometimes think.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to TheFailedProjek

@dain_ger I doubt it. The “influencer” thing is all bullshit anyway. This is just standard loyalty scheme stuff.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to dain_ger

@jonoabroad That said, he’s a single man. For a family, there are different requirements. But I’m happy to explain further, wine or not.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

@jonoabroad No, I’ve spoken with quite a few hotel managers about the broad principles. It works.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

@NewtonMark It soon builds up, right? Particularly in this technology industry.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to NewtonMark

@jonoabroad Yep, that’s him. Search his name and “living in hotels” to find many references.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

@skwashd Well your travel schedule is insane, yes, but it doesn’t take much to differentiate from the once-a-year traveller.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to skwashd

@jonoabroad @JonoH And a 6pm checkout? Just tell the latecomer proles tomorrow their room isn’t ready yet and give ‘em a coffee.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

@jonoabroad @JonoH A wine they have for $48 on the menu, maybe $28 at a discount store, costs the hotel in bulk maybe $6.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

@jonoabroad @JonoH That’s exactly how it works, yes. The more you fill the hotel with regulars, the less, far less, you spend on promotion.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

It’s just a matter of understanding how the accommodation industry works and, in many ways, paying attention to @paulcarr’s writing on same.

via Janetter for Mac

For little more than a squalid 2.5-star shithole I get a 4.5-star executive suite with 6pm checkout tomorrow, free internets and free wine.

via Janetter for Mac

I must write a thing some time about how to turn your frequent travel on other people’s tab into benefits for when you’re paying yourself.

via Janetter for Mac

@jonoabroad Yeah, I have things to do early and I knew the train trip etc would prevent an early start. And I found an excellent deal.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

@JonoH Oh absolutely. The loyalty scheme keeps me in that system, but this hotel’s personal service is what I choose them when I can.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to JonoH

@JonoH Exactly that. The duty manager hears my name being said aloud as I check in, and the service escalates another notch again.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to JonoH

@JonoH Oh I don’t peer behind the curtain. I just know that I have been a good customer here in recent years and they take care of me.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to JonoH

@nancycato1 By a young Japanese woman, actually. So probably not Pauline.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to nancycato1

Well this hotel’s CRM system seems to be operating correctly. Also, institutional memory FTW.

via Janetter for Mac

A bottle of Keith Tulloch 2012 Hill tops Merlot has just been delivered.

Being seriously upgraded.

via Plume for Android

FUCK WHAT IT WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE JUST SHOUT ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS ON TWITTER IT WILL FIX THINGS JUST FUCKING WELL DO IT YOU FOOLS.

via Janetter for Mac

Maybe shouting on Twitter a bit more will solve that problem you’re concerned about.

via Janetter for Mac

Colvinius Like a Chinese Vermeer. @Dame_Rouge: @literatura_rte - pic.twitter.com/GBSJA1zUS8 Femme d’inspiration chinoise via @paulwiggins

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 7:05 PM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

@mpesce Just show them the site. They’ll write the note.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to mpesce

“A Walk-in Tub could help increase your independence”, I am advised by an important email from a random address.

via Janetter for Mac

Pleased with my manipulation of the global accommodation booking system.

via Janetter for Mac

KMT @Tzarimas: Four men have been arrested over the fumes, which closed the Devonshire Street Railway tunnel, in Sydney’s CBD.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to Tzarimas

@Colvinius @paulwallbank Thank you. Rubber gloves are definitely required.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to Colvinius

Hey ABC people, is the Social History Unit still a thing?

via Janetter for Mac

@SnarkyPlatypus I’d like to do some serious oral history of these folks, like ex-ABC Tim Bowden used to do in the Social History Unit.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@rashasman Oh dear. Yes, Blue Mountains Triangle as a prog rock band: flute, percussion and synth/vocals.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to rashasman

@OaaSvc Oh, I didn’t know about that one! There’s some reading for me. Ta.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to OaaSvc

@SnarkyPlatypus No, but I’m thinking of going. I think it’d be awesome* to hang out with the Blue Mountains UFO Research Group.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

“The Australian Yowie Research Centre Established By Rex Gilroy in 1976” australianyowieresearchcentre.com

via Janetter for Mac

@SnarkyPlatypus The author is still alive and holds regular meetings in Katoomba.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Maybe @mpesce needs to drop half a dozen trips and lose himself in this website for a few days. mysteriousaustralia.com

via Janetter for Mac

“BLUE MOUNTAINS TRIANGLE SECRET UNDERGROUND AUSTRALIAN / AMERICAN BASE AND THE E.T. CONNECTION” mysteriousaustralia.com/australian_und…

via Janetter for Mac

“Was a doomsday device detonated in the WA desert?” weirdaustralia.com/2011/11/04/was… Ping @mpesce @haruki_zaemon @R_Chirgwin @snerdish

via Janetter for Mac

OH: “It’s probably more drugs. It’s just young people off their face.”

via Janetter for Mac

Dear All the Spooks, have I used enough Rainbow Codes and referred to enough Stuff today? Quota met?

via Janetter for Mac

I am so gonna get a phone call about this.

via Janetter for Mac

@mpesce I haven’t heard of a covert Japanese nuclear incident, but hey it’s a big country.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to mpesce

Purple Possum. [Nods.]

via Janetter for Mac

@mpesce Erm, no, I believe that was the British government.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to mpesce

Meanwhile, @dailytelegraph reports on some OMFG BE AFRAID OF ALL THE THINGS arsehattery. bit.ly/deadpoolsydney pic.twitter.com/9lqJnuxB5g

via Janetter for Mac in reply to dailytelegraph

So, @mpesce, does オウム真理教 (Ōmu Shinrikyō) mean anything to you?

via Janetter for Mac

RT @mpesce: SMH: ‘Hazardous substance’ closes Central Station tunnel smh.com.au/nsw/hazardous-… (with photo by me!) [Yeah so NOT my fault, OK?]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to mpesce

The Devonshire Street Tunnel is closed by a police operation, but that’s only affecting platform 24 and 25 services.

via Janetter for Mac

@SnarkyPlatypus Ils ont indiqué qu’ils ont appris des choses. Il n’ya pas de scores négatifs sur les formulaires de rétroaction. Victoire!

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@SnarkyPlatypus Bonjour. Je suis épuisé, mais apparemment j’ai fait du bon travail cette semaine. Et vous?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

5at5daily 5at5 number 82: Dirty commie spacecraft, dirty British chickens, dirty bearded microbiologists, and more. tinyletter.com/5at5/letters/5…

via Janetter for Mac (retweeted on 5:29 PM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

Railway Square, Sydney, Friday evening instagram.com/p/q3Y1_2CFty/

via Instagram

And my UTS work is done for the day. I think I need a drink or something before heading back up the hill.

via Janetter for Mac

RT @CyberPrefixerAU: Ex-Woolies cyberexecutive appointed to major cyberrole at US retail cybergiant [CYBERGIANT!]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to CyberPrefixerAU

@nancycato1 Well it’s that evil @paulwallbank, he can’t be avoided. He’s like that black mould in bathrooms. Once it’s there you’re stuffed.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to nancycato1

RT @PeteLawler: @stilgherrian @nswpolice I do hope Sabine Altmann had a sense of irony and absurd… [Me to…]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to PeteLawler

Yeah sorry, @nswpolice, but our “Writing for the Web” class at UTS was… well, “amused” is probably the wrong word. You know what I mean.

via Janetter for Mac

“This year @nswpolice congratulates Brian from Castle Hill for an impressive working-over of his girlfriend Tracey…pic.twitter.com/a27eT2LHUbUb

via Janetter for Mac

Being compared with Pauline Hanson.

via Janetter for Mac

Haha! I’m teaching “Writing for the Web”, and one of the students has taglined her blog “Screw kale.” Instant distinction mark for her!

via Janetter for Mac

@dannolan Thanks. It’s a bit weird being on this side of the road and not in the communist stronghold of the ABC. But I must educate people.

via Plume for Android in reply to dannolan

Fri plan: 0930-1630 present UTS course, day 2; @5at5daily; train to Wentworth Falls, research en route; TGIF, in a quiet and lonely way.

@PeteLawler Well, apart from the podcast feed itself, and that’s got a certain minimum overhead.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to PeteLawler

@PeteLawler Yeah, I need to consolidate a mailing list or something for the Edict. I don’t have an easy way to tell everyone stuff.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to PeteLawler

RT @PeteLawler: What’s the go with the edict? not enough subs to keep it monthly? [I’m recording one tomorrow. Pass it on.]

@NewtonMark Indeed. I’ve only skimmed it so far, but that’s a great bit of integration work. I wonder how easily extensible it is.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to NewtonMark

I believe that @mpesce should take a little look at this thing. arseh.at/4kmh HT @NewtonMark

RT @NewtonMark: This is excellent. Streisand: arseh.at/4kmh [The Streisand Effect, automated. Sweet idea.]

@michaelneale Well it works for North Korea, so it must be the way to go.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to michaelneale

RT @BadAlbumCovers: Happy days. pic.twitter.com/2jSimAvqdz [If this cheers you up then reconsider your life choices.]

@CosmicRami @kcarruthers I suspect that “of late” is the recency illusion at work. Siberia is big and I’ll-reported.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to CosmicRami

Watching the queue of desperate, miserable people aching for their little plastic pots of alkaloid stimulant drugs. Judging them.

RT @CosmicRami: And then a second mysterious hole appeared in Siberia … bit.ly/1qD6C7H [Shoddy Soviet workmanship. @kcarruthers]

There shall be eggs.

RT @sylmobile: Four years until one of the F-35 jets we bought is (projected) to arrive in Australia… [I knew they flew slow, but… Jesus.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to sylmobile

Similarly, @GordyPls, don’t say “I didn’t get the invoice” when I manage your email systems too. “Shall I open a fault report?” “Um… no.”

via Janetter for Mac

MT @GordyPls: Sysadmin day facts: we’re legally allowed to set you on fire if you insist you didn’t delete something you indisputably did.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to GordyPls

SnarkyPlatypus ‘Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies’ RT @Clarke_Melissa: Malcolm Turnbull tells Ch9: “I trust Joe and Joe trusts me.”

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 7:27 AM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

rachelking 100% accurate. MT @rubinafillion: The menu at every trendy restaurant in the U.S.: bit.ly/1qD3loK pic.twitter.com/jfPrW6Ox3V

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 7:15 AM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

NASA 45 Years Ago Now: splashes down bringing Neil Armstrong, @TheRealBuzz & Michael Collins home to Earth pic.twitter.com/fORqvqQnz9

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 7:14 AM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

@sw Yesterday’s avatar in my ever-rotaing series of historical tributes was aviator Amelia Earhart. I look a bit different.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to sw

fieldproducer That’s Gaza sorted RT @SydConfidential Nicole Kidman Keith Urban post vid ‘praying for peace’ bit.ly/1sZQWLu pic.twitter.com/YAhYWrhzXM

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:44 AM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

johnthelutheran \( •_•)_† RT @PeterMillett1: Has your dog been taken over by bad spirits? Don’t take him to a park in ! pic.twitter.com/LtsFJIIUmI

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 5:41 AM, Jul 25th, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

Fri plan, draft: Administrivia; 0930-1630 present UTS course, day 2; @5at5daily; train to Wentworth Falls; TGIF, is a quiet and lonely way.

via Janetter for Mac

A big thank-you to William Cooke and Charles Wheatstone, who demonstrated the first commercial electric telegraph on 25 July 1837.

via Janetter for Mac

Friday. They gnaw at your stomach. They’ve gotten inside you. Their teeth slice bloody strips from your innards. You are powerless. Friday.