October 31st, 2014

“Fujian blind date ends with public fist fight”, reports @shanghaiist shanghaiist.com/2014/10/31/fuj…

via Janetter for Mac

@cfsmtbation @RSprachrohr Thank you. I shall listen once the Internet of Trees starts behaving itself.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to cfsmtbation

@jleyden @TheRegister A better headline would’ve been “Pommie punters particularly prone to piss-poor patching.” Remedial classes for you.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jleyden

Oh wait. The SchnitzelBot is actually called @SchnitzelFollow, because the internet is a thousand kinds of stupid.

via Janetter for Mac

That earlier tweet reporting a schnitzel-related dialog with a local was missing the word “not”.

via Janetter for Mac

@SnarkyPlatypus Il est très compliqué. La vie du village est subtile.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@MartinCuddihy @paulkidd @kopegi1 @Humpjay @DanielOCnr I usually sit where I can be seen from the street. But yes.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to MartinCuddihy

Engaging in the ritual exchange of personal abuse before leaving.

via Plume for Android

@SnarkyPlatypus Bonjour. Je fais affaire avec les complexités de la vie dans un village. avec de l’alcool. Et vous?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Getting grief from the publican because he recently saw me at another pub.

Receiving explanations of things that I never wished to understand.

Now I’ve been asked how long they have to wait before I get arrested under section 35P. No respect, these people.

Local, seeing my schnitzel: “What an awful meal.” Me: “Well it’s fucking well for you.” All laugh.

Oh. They gather early.

@cfsmtbation That’d be easier if I were familiar with the band’s oeuvre. But it’s a good suggestion.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to cfsmtbation

I have decided to have a schnitzel and some wine, and then escape before the Oktoberfest Hallowe’en Karaoke Extravaganza starts.

Struggling to get my head around the concept of a combined Oktoberfest / Hallowe’en Karaoke night.

via Plume for Android

dizzylimit MT @_HelenDale: Here is a creationist textbook featuring a grave error on Noah’s part: pic.twitter.com/qaT0kBKOC5 @Colvinius via @mumbletwits

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 5:19 PM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

@__Marijana_ Thank you. It does only address one very narrow issue in relation to the data retention bill, however.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to __Marijana_

Wondering whether changing “criminal law-enforcement agency” to “criminal-law enforcement agency” might be a good amendment to the Bill.

via Janetter for Mac

Burn it down. Burn it all down.

via Janetter for Mac

Me at @zdnetaustralia today: “On metadata legislation and used-car salesmanship” zdnet.com/on-metadata-le…

via Janetter for Mac

@DangerLouse Dunno. Maybe it’s a Laurie Anderson song. Hard to tell.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to DangerLouse

Fuck. It’s Hallowe’en. Katoomba is perhaps the LAST place I want to go tonight. Reconsidering my options.

via Janetter for Mac

Lazy Tech Journo Tip #5: “Parents groups fear <x>” is a story, for all values of x.

via Janetter for Mac

Lazy Tech Journo Tip #4: “Android <comparative x> iOS” is a story, for all values of x.

via Janetter for Mac

Lazy Tech Journo Tip #3: “Now you can <human activity x> on your iPhone” is a story, for all values of x.

via Janetter for Mac

Lazy Tech Journo Tip #2: “Scientists have 3D printed an <x>” is a story, for all values of x.

via Janetter for Mac

Lazy Tech Journo Tip #1: “In the future, <human activity x> might be done via drone” is a story, for all values of x.

via Janetter for Mac

RT @BlogsofWar: A-10’s Delayed Retirement Threatens to Push Back F-35 Program goo.gl/xpm0UA [Thought: A-10 strike on F-35 factory.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to BlogsofWar

@jasonjordan That could indeed be part of the phenomenon. I wonder if similar things have been studied in the European work.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jasonjordan

barrysaunders Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about… your mother. i.imgur.com/tiC9ufb.jpg

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 3:46 PM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

ChrisWainhouse Kids in scary costumes may look frightening. But when you’ve killed as many as I have, you realise they’re no more dangerous than you or I.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 3:43 PM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

vino_freakism If a vegan does crossfit….. which do they talk about first?

via Hootsuite (retweeted on 3:42 PM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

@thelaughingsub @R_Chirgwin Semicolons don’t generally trouble me. Just don’t ever catch @guardianstyle disease and type “Asio” and “Nasa”.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to thelaughingsub

“‘Riskier’ streets reduce accidents” (2012) knowledge.allianz.com/mobility/trans… Part of my research today.

via Janetter for Mac

Feature story filed for @zdnetaustralia. That’s my writing done for the day. And for the week. I’m exhausted.

via Janetter for Mac

I think I’d better get back to this other piece of writing. I shall return when it’s done. Or when the asteroid strikes. One or the other.

via Janetter for Mac

I can tell that @thelaughingsub has been at that story, because semicolons.

via Janetter for Mac

Me at @zdnetaustralia: “On metadata legislation and used-car salesmanship” zdnet.com/on-metadata-le…

via Janetter for Mac

OK, back to this writing-for-money lark. I shall return in due course.

via Janetter for Mac

MT @NewtonMark: Air Vice Marshall Mark Skidmore appointed as CASA’s new Director of Aviation Safety. [Nominative determinism?]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to NewtonMark

@liamosaur @semibogan Well, I can’t speak to your upbringing, but I encounter the same issue.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to liamosaur

Documents from the Royal Commission on Intelligence and Security (1974-1977) at the National Archives. naa.gov.au/about-us/media…

via Janetter for Mac

tqbf Hi, I’m your CPU fan, installed as a friendly reminder that you may still have Flash enabled somewhere.

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 10:10 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

TumblrTXT I consider myself gynephilic demisensual and asexual panromantic

via Buffer (retweeted on 10:05 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

I think @feraldata and @mpesce are arguing that memory loss is a liberal-progressive conspiracy.

via Janetter for Mac

Damn. I forgot to incude the description of telco legislation as having been “written by a troupe of gibbons high on nutmeg”.

via Janetter for Mac

Forget Fitbit, gentlemen. Share your performance data that really counts. pic.twitter.com/mPLmHC85FE HT @Pogue via @Steve_Lockstep

via Janetter for Mac

Fri plan: Finish writing @zdnetaustralia column (done); finish @zdnetaustralia feature; shopping, probably in Katoomba; TGIF; whatever.

via Janetter for Mac

Column filed for @zdnetaustralia. It contains used car salesmen and a Royal Commission.

via Janetter for Mac

SwiftOnSecurity Whoever designed this software enjoys drowning puppies.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 9:21 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

NeinQuarterly Trust me, friends: There’s no need to dress up for Halloween. Your true monster is on the inside. And anyone who loves you will know it.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 9:20 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

dr_nic Most confusing Melbourne moment so far: man yelling “psychopath! psychopath!” at me. Until I worked out I walking in the cycle path.

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 8:59 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

drchristiebudd Dressing as a witch for Halloween, because all female veterinarians are witches; deliver life, administer death, heal animals, control repro

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 8:16 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

aral Maybe we should think twice before handing over all decision making to algorithms.

Via @_youhadonejob pic.twitter.com/fdnm4F6QL0

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 8:11 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

Eelectronic web address.

via Janetter for Mac

TheMediaTweets I wasn’t really going to make a night of it tonight but now I see the pub has put a cobweb and a rubber spider on the wall, I might.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:03 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

Heading down into the Muskatnøttlovgivning rabbit hole once more.

via Janetter for Mac

You’re all idiots. How can Tim Cook be gay? He likes U2.

Class issues, I see.

via Janetter for Mac

SnarkyPlatypus I see no lies RT@Independent: There is a slight problem with this ‘Proud to be British’ hoodie ind.pn/13k2AXJ pic.twitter.com/RseD1NoXQA

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 7:37 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

RT @crylenol: I love Halloween week pic.twitter.com/KnFT56PXXo [And the next day, you reflect upon where your career has brought you.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to crylenol

I say, @davpope is rather good today. Peacefully floating in their metadata. pic.twitter.com/DjjKJwaKgO

via Janetter for Mac

Fri plan, second draft: Finish writing the two things for @zdnetaustralia; shopping, probably in Katoomba; TGIF, I reckon. Whatever.

via Janetter for Mac

“Telcos relieved at limited scope and cost of data retention law”, says @smh. smh.com.au/federal-politi… Does the story supports the headline?

via Janetter for Mac

@MsLods I have now. Indeed, there’s nothing to stop the commercialisation of the retained data, is there? With Privacy Act box-ticking.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to MsLods

@MsLods @GordyPls And yet AFP’s Colvin is right, the metadata legislation would allow its use in combatting some copyright infringement.

via Twitter Web Client in reply to MsLods

“Brandis’s desperate and confused metadata laws are far from sold”, writes @GordyPls in a savage op-ed. theguardian.com/commentisfree/…

via Twitter Web Client

SavedYouAClick None of mine :( RT @BuzzFeed: The 85 funniest tweets of all time

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 6:16 AM, Oct 31st, 2014 via Janetter for Mac)

@theothersilvia @juhasaarinen Also, “attractive when young and in flight, but grubby when you get to know them”, so perhaps you’re right.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to theothersilvia

@theothersilvia @juhasaarinen It’s an ibis. They used to forage in swamps. Now they scavenge in cities. They are stupid and annoying.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to theothersilvia

@juhasaarinen @manicode There is. Although it took me a while to make the connection. This is ancient history in internet years.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to juhasaarinen

@SnarkyPlatypus Bonjour. Je suis fatigué, mais il ya du travail à faire. Et vous?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

RT @manicode: Just another day teaching secure coding classes…. pic.twitter.com/V5Is19XaiK [This is why the internet is like it is.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to manicode

Fri plan, initial draft: Finish writing the two things for @zdnetaustralia; remainder TBA, but either TGIF or collapse.

via Janetter for Mac

Friday. The sky lightens. Paint flakes off the celestial sphere. God is a cheapskate slumlord. Friday.