October 16th, 2015

Detrammed and depantsed.

redambition The urge to sing the lion sleeps tonight is always a whim away.

… A whim away a whim away…

šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 8:41 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via PlumeĀ forĀ Android)

Older woman waiting for the tram, on phone, shouts “I don’ have time for you lah.”

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

Drinking? You may enjoy my @zdnetaustralia column: “Welcome to Brandistan, home of wobbly data retention” zdnet.com/article/welcomā€¦

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

@nomisruption Revel in it while it lasts. An avatar rarely lasts beyond a week.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android in reply to nomisruption

It’s a shame virgin Australia’s Blue Pyrenees 2013 Shiraz doesn’t have time to breathe… instagram.com/p/85HHJQiFka/

via Instagram

Transmitters off. See you in Sydney. And Melbourne, I’ll see you again next Friday.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

@Craig_Harvey That’s a thought. For the next couple of weeks there’ll be as many as too.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android in reply to Craig_Harvey

@_midofo_ @GuardianAus I’ve seen many things with my own eyes which later turned out to not exist.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android in reply to _midofo_

This evening’s chariot is VH-YFH as VA879 MEL-SYD. pic.twitter.com/mPVnU4PNa0

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

It’s always THAT photo of Brandis at @zdnetaustralia..zdnet.comTv

@TheRealKerryG @GuardianAus THE ENTIRE CONCEPT BAFFLES ME AND THE GUARDIAN SHOULD NOT MAKE MY BRAIN HURT SO MUCH.

via TweetDeck in reply to TheRealKerryG

bencjenkins Amazing that Lambie managed to secure the support of two rejected incarnations of The Doctor. pic.twitter.com/znhcbwJqN3

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 5:54 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Ladies! When choosing a husband, don’t make the mistake @helenperris did. twitter.com/smperris/statuā€¦

Me at @zdnetaustralia Monday: “Wyatt Roy’s Policy Hack is already becoming a joke” zdnet.com/article/wyatt-ā€¦ It’s tomorrow. Let’s see, eh?

That isn’t part of the wing, @GizmodoAU, it’s an engine hatch cover. twitter.com/GizmodoAU/statā€¦

Me at @zdnetaustralia: “Welcome to Brandistan, home of wobbly data retention” zdnet.com/article/welcomā€¦ Now with added correction.

@DrParnassus I am nothing if not efficient in this regards.

via TweetDeck in reply to DrParnassus

@interrogativus It’s sold as an “open pie”. In reality, a moderately egg and tomato pastry thing in filo pastry.

via TweetDeck in reply to interrogativus

“Vertical waterfalls”, eh @GuardianAus? As opposed to…twitter.com/GuardianAus/stā€¦m1

@chrisjrn True, but there’s just enough stuff in here to keep me amused.

via TweetDeck in reply to chrisjrn

Well, @NewtonMark, the costs just kept escalating… twitter.com/NewtonMark/staā€¦

burgotastic Sometimes I’ll see a phrase with which I’m unfamiliar and my brain automatically tells me its someone’s Shorten name twitter.com/freyanewmn/staā€¦

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 5:33 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

MEL, checked in and through the security checkpoint. Refreshments are being sought.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

jturner_ibrs CFMEU + MUA = MUMU CAFE twitter.com/JASprague/statā€¦

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 5:06 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@MsLods I relied on my shoddy memory. Sigh. I’ve just emailed through a fix, which will mean the story will be changed in due course. Ta.

via TweetDeck in reply to MsLods

@MsLods Hmmm… Now I’m not sure whether to change that paragraph or not.

via TweetDeck in reply to MsLods

@christopherneal Indeed. There shall be a Collapsing in just a few hours.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android in reply to christopherneal

Time to get out of this town.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

@jonoabroad Ta. The squirrels have fixed it.

via TweetDeck in reply to jonoabroad

@NewtonMark Mine too. It’s a clear demonstration of the attention to detail that went into that document.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

I would like to thank @dobes for additional squirrel-wrangling.

@drspacejunk My internal style guide says either are OK, but “Venusian” is clearer and less likely to trigger juvenile guffaws.

via TweetDeck in reply to drspacejunk

@joelpmichael Ergh. That’s kinda challenging, yeah.

via TweetDeck in reply to joelpmichael

BlogsofWar One immediate problem with the Internet of Things - the number of terrible infographics it’s spawning.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 2:52 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Column filed for @zdnetaustralia. It contains the words “wobbly”, “Dunning-Kruger”, and “squirrels”.

But regardless of that, I am still laughing.

I think I’ve wet myself.

Still laughing.

@SnarkyPlatypus Is there a Vietnamese equivalent to the Thai dish Crying Tiger? Grrr.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

James_Jeffrey @smurray38 @katgallow Like a tiger… pic.twitter.com/kXe2MYZ8J0

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 2:06 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Oh fuck, why did I do that?

I’m still laughing at this 20 minutes later. Damn you, @MarkDiStef. twitter.com/MarkDiStef/staā€¦

MarkDiStef mal: like a tiger
george: what are you doing?
mal: do it with me, like a tiger
george: no i wont
mal: like a tiger pic.twitter.com/vRRoQgQOK7

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 1:43 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Right. Now that I’m pho’d up, I can finish this column for @zdnetaustralia and such.

shawncarrie Also:
That awkward moment when the Turkish anti-terrorism cop says:
“I’m polite, rıght? I hear in your country, the police just shoot you.”

via Mobile Web (M5) (retweeted on 1:07 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iĪŸS)

@jperlow Indeed it is, with a complex broth, made at this little family-run cafe in the Melbourne CBD.

via Tweetbot for iĪŸS in reply to jperlow

jcase Dear journalists, your next FUD piece. My graph shows the % of IOS mobile devices w/ known security vulnerabilities pic.twitter.com/jLMan3PMM7

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 12:54 PM, Oct 16th, 2015 via Tweetbot for iĪŸS)

@SnarkyPlatypus @Kimota I would be excellent company on this evening’s flight too.

via Tweetbot for iĪŸS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@SnarkyPlatypus @Kimota Annoying fact of the day is that I’m just around the corner from an excellent Sichuan restaurant… a bad plan now.

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@SnarkyPlatypus @Kimota Oh I like that name. The condition, less so.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@ericscheid I cunningly included return fares in the original budget.

via TweetDeck in reply to ericscheid

@Kimota @SnarkyPlatypus This is true. (Also no, browsing through endless buffets makes attribution difficult.)

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android in reply to Kimota

Just quietly, my plans for the day didn’t include a bout of post-conference diarrhoea.

“Pointless” alert from Twitter, @jturner_ibrs? “Deceptive attempt to mine personal data,” you mean. twitter.com/jturner_ibrs/sā€¦

@jturner_ibrs @dylanfoxkearney Exactly. As @stokely and @WarWraith have been tweeting, this is exactly what happens.

via TweetDeck in reply to jturner_ibrs

@dylanfoxkearney @martinwalsh You’re more than welcome. As you can see, this subject strikes a chord with a good number of us.

via TweetDeck in reply to dylanfoxkearney

@stokely Thanks, Sarah. It’s all blood under the bridge now, at least as far as I’m concerned, but I still point the finger of blame.

via TweetDeck in reply to stokely

@jturner_ibrs Cheers, James. @dylanfoxkearney has a great little project there.

via TweetDeck in reply to jturner_ibrs

@WarWraith This is almost the archetype story, isn’t it. @dylanfoxkearney is probably writing down your name now. ;)

via TweetDeck in reply to WarWraith

So @dylanfoxkearney needs someone to throw one last $50 into the pot in the next hour for this doco to be a thing. pozible.com/project/197441

@Pozible I’ll still file something more formal as a bug report if you need it / can’t track it down from that info.

@Pozible When entering my last project pre-DST, I selected “2130 AEST” as the end time. Project page displayed as “2230 AEDT” but it wasn’t.

@Pozible That bug I mentioned. Check this page. pozible.com/project/197441 “1348 AEDT” is in two hours, not one hour. It’s what misled me too.

Hmmm… I think the person who’s phoning me at 1100 (23 minutes ago) must be in Queensland and hasn’t converted the time zone.

@WarWraith This soldier was one of my closest friends. He hanged himself at my home in 1996. abc.net.au/7.30/content/2ā€¦

via TweetDeck in reply to WarWraith

@martinwalsh I thought it’d strike a chord. WW2 experience is far less documented than Vietnam. Great that @dylanfoxkearney is up for this.

via TweetDeck in reply to martinwalsh

@WarWraith As you may or may not know, the military’s poor handling of PTSD has been something very close to me.

via TweetDeck in reply to WarWraith

@WarWraith That was a trite response from me, sorry. Or it may have sounded so. I’ve read a lot about this on the past.

via TweetDeck in reply to WarWraith

@martinwalsh May I draw your attention to the @Pozible for this doco? Closes in two hours. twitter.com/stilgherrian/sā€¦

The way trauma from earlier wars shapes the next generation is something that intrigues me. Untreated PTSD is nasty. twitter.com/stilgherrian/sā€¦

The doco “WW2 trauma in Australia today” by @dylanfoxkearney needs just $600 more in the next two hours. Do it. pozible.com/project/197441

I seem to have written the job title “Ringmaster of Fail” in today’s column for @zdnetaustralia. This pleases me.

So what you’re saying, @NewtonMark, is that my tech writing / insight is shit. Bonus. twitter.com/NewtonMark/staā€¦

@NewtonMark I disagree. Those ninjas were quite good.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

Me at @zdnetaustralia Wednesday: “Australia’s Children’s eSafety Commissioner wants a great human firewall” zdnet.com/article/austraā€¦

@stevelord Alas, I am flat out writing today, and then fly back to Sydney. But future video programs are on the back burner.

via TweetDeck in reply to stevelord

The question we need to ask here is “Who’s the biggest ham?” twitter.com/marcuskelson/sā€¦

My “office” for today. This would make a great backdrop for a live video show too. pic.twitter.com/6ky8HuzBW7

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

@CosmicRami @SnarkyPlatypus It certainly is a , and I’ve tweeted in relation to this earlier this morning.

via TweetDeck in reply to CosmicRami

@SnarkyPlatypus Yes. I’ve posted a few pics here and on Instagram this week of that view over Parliament House to the eastern horizon.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

I’ll try not to spend the entire morning looking out the window… pic.twitter.com/87buODzZ6T

via PlumeĀ forĀ Android

Fri plan: Write for @zdnetaustralia x 2; lunch somewhere nice, perhaps; administrivia; 1830 VA879 MEL-SYD; collapse in Sydney.

A guy just sat down at the next table with a rep from @InvestHK to talk about the VC funding his fintech startup received overnight. Amused.

@yewenyi @TawarRazaghi Indeed. If only I knew where to find a hacker…

via TweetDeck in reply to yewenyi

bernietb PYNE: Hi. I’d add you to my…
TURNBULL: Stop
P: …professional network on…
T: Shut up
P: LinkedIn
T: Christ
pic.twitter.com/AsUFqMhRcB

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 8:50 AM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Wait. “The next 3-year rollout.” When does “the next 3-year rollout” start? I bet it’s not 2015. twitter.com/stilgherrian/sā€¦

[Checks calendar.] Three years. 2018. And New England was a priority area. All hail the NBN! twitter.com/TawarRazaghi/sā€¦

@InflatablePlant Oh it’s all under control, thanks. I’m up to the cheese platter now.

via TweetDeck in reply to InflatablePlant

I admire @simonhackett’s commitment to the environment in removing those nasty engines from his aircraft. twitter.com/simonhackett/sā€¦

A radical solution might be to appoint ministers who understand the field, not as an intra-party political reward. twitter.com/GuardianAus/stā€¦

@Gin_ev_ra This should be a usage, right? “I writed this!”

via TweetDeck in reply to Gin_ev_ra

Fri plan, draft: Write for @zdnetaustralia; lunch somewhere pleasant (but with who?); administrivia; 1830 VA879 MEL-SYD; collapse in Sydney.

GoatUserStories As a goat, I want to hold productive meetings so that…well, I don’t want to actually HOLD the meetings. pic.twitter.com/lINeqrlE2y

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 7:27 AM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

ClickHole It’s perfectly fine. Retweet if you agree! pic.twitter.com/U7yMq4zGXv

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 7:21 AM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

“Feds Say Fox News’ Favorite CIA Source Is a Total Fraud” motherjones.com/mixed-media/20ā€¦

“ASIO chief defied Gough Whitlam’s order to cut ties with the CIA in 1974”, writed @PPDaley theguardian.com/australia-newsā€¦

Thanks to 22 supporters, “Send Stilgherrian to Ruxcon 2015” is successful. Thank you. pozible.com/corruptednerds2 pic.twitter.com/E7nYtndP3O

ThePoke It’s definitely a cat

thepoke.co.uk/2015/10/15/defā€¦ pic.twitter.com/H5UzUEhdsF

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 7:03 AM, Oct 16th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Exactly. What’s the rush? Indeed, because it’s not content, you can send the CSS later on a CD or something. twitter.com/gattaca/statusā€¦

@X_fklimczak @hacks4pancakes There’s almost no way to more proactive than that!

via TweetDeck in reply to X_fklimczak

@mubix That was Aaron Hackworth. With my tweets, you can nearly always rely on the speaker being the last-mentioned person.

via TweetDeck in reply to mubix

Cathedral, with dawn and balloons instagram.com/p/83tCd0CFjM/

via Instagram

Friday. You’ll never be able to explain those stains. Friday.