The fortnight’s achievements included wrapping up work on that SEKRIT editorial project — I’ll post separately about that on Monday — and the news that I probably don’t have skin cancer.
So yeah, a spot on my leg that’s been there for years had recently started growing. I did what all of you should do. Rather than ignoring it, I showed it to my GP. He was fairly sure it was nothing to worry about, but to be sure, we sought specialist advice.
A lovely dermatologist chappie quickly identified it as a traumatised angioma, as shown in figures 16 and 17. Mine isn’t as visually prominent as that one, and only half the length.
My GP’s response was dismissive. “Oh, so it’s a scratch,” he said.
He’s been my GP for more than 20 years. He takes liberties. Like eating sandwiches during consultations.
Anyway, on with the show… such that it is.
Articles, Podcasts, Corporate Largesse
None, but see below.
- On Tuesday 5 September, I spoke about the fragility of the internet on ABC Adelaide. As has been usual lately, I probably won’t post the audio.
- On Thursday 14 September, Tim Burrowes and I spoke about Facebooks’s new advertising policies on ABC Radio’s The World Today.
The Week Ahead
The next episode of The 9pm Edict podcast will finally be recorded this Thursday 21 September at 2100 AEST. No really. As has become traditional, it’ll be streamed live via stilgherrian.com/edict/live/. You still have time to support this podcast with a one-off contribution.
Apart from that, I’ll be doing the usual mix of writing and complaining and stuff.
Events I’m covering or speaking at include:
- SINET61, Sydney, 26â€“27 September, although I’ll only be there on the first day. This event is part of the inaugural Cyber Week Sydney.
- I’m speaking at Digital Manipulation of Democracy, part of the Victorian Fabians’ Spring Series of events on “Digitisation and Democracy”, on 27 September in Melbourne.
- The iappANZ Summit 2017, Sydney, 3 October.
- The Australian Information Security Association (AISA), Sydney, 10â€“12 October.
- Ruxcon, Melbourne, 21â€“22 October.
If there’s anything I should add in there, please let me know.
[Photo: Hanging Swamp. The view down into a valley at the terrain known locally as a hanging swamp. This example is at the side of the main track at Bunjaree Cottages, near Wentworth Falls. Photographed on 13 September 2017.]