Friday 22 September was the hottest September day ever recorded in Sydney and across much of NSW. That night, at least up here in the Blue Mountains, the overnight minimum was so far above average that it was a degree warmer than the average maximum for that day.
The planet is not broken.
- “The 9pm End of the World, But More So”, being The 9pm Edict episode 68, was finally produced on Thursday night. You can also listen to it on SoundCloud and Spreaker. Be warned, the pace of the news cycle means that some of it has already been overtaken by events.
- APNIC-sponsored proposal could vastly improve DNS resilience against DDoS, ZDNet Australia, 18 September 2017.
I’ve also part-written a piece for ZDNet that’ll appear on Monday.
Corporate Largesse, Media Appearances
None, but that changes next week.
The Week Ahead
Monday sees me on a day trip to Sydney for routine back maintenance. Beforehand, I’ll finish a yarn for ZDNet. En route and afterwards, I’ll work on my presentation for Wednesday night.
On Tuesday, I’ll catch an early train to Sydney to cover the first day of SINET61, the second annual joint conference of the Security Innovation Network and Australia’s Data61. I’ll stay in Sydney overnight.
On Wednesday, I’m flying down to Melbourne. That evening I’m speaking at Digital Manipulation of Democracy, part of the Victorian Fabians’ Spring Series of events on “Digitisation and Democracy”.
I’m staying in Melbourne through to Saturday afternoon.
On Thursday evening, I’m talking about cybers or tech or something on ABC Melbourne. That’s probably at 1930 AEST, but check Twitter on the day. The rest is unplanned, but I’ll think of something. Or you will.
Events I’m covering or speaking at include:
- The iappANZ Summit 2017, Sydney, 3 October.
- The Australian Information Security Association (AISA), Sydney, 10–12 October.
- Ruxcon, Melbourne, 21–22 October.
If there’s anything I should add in there, please let me know.
Update 28 September: Edited to reflect cancellation of ABC Melbourne spot.
[Photo: Laneway Girl. A mural outside a nightclub on Earl Street in Sydney’s Kings Cross, photographed on 9 September 2017.]