I took a break for almost the entire week of Monday 5 to Sunday 11 August 2019. I thought I’d take advantage of being without a working computer. And then there was snow.
OK, sure, I do have an iPad and a phone, but it’s much harder to “create content” on those devices. That’s my excuse, anyway. I was also exhausted after four weeks of Health Patrol.
If you follow me on Twitter, you may have figured out that the subject of Health Patrol is @SnarkyPlatypus. He’s slowly recovering, thank you for asking, and has started a GoFundMe campaign for some practical help. Please consider.
Meanwhile, thanks very much to the generous people who covered the cost of my computer repairs. There will be an appropriate shout-out in the next podcast.
Articles, Podcasts, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
None. Not a damn thing. That’s an embarrassing look, eh.
The Week Ahead
With a working computer due to be ready for me on Monday afternoon, and the demands of Health Patrol reducing, I’m hoping to get back into a more productive mode.
Monday will be dedicated to mapping out that concept in more detail, as well as doing the laundry, and collecting the computer from Penrith.
Tuesday will be a Sydney day for various purposes. I’ll also be in Sydney from Friday for about seven weeks, housesitting in Hurstville â€” apart from the below-mentioned trips to Adelaide, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and any others that might crop up.
Some time soon I want to see the new Australian movie Danger Close, a Vietnam War movie about the Battle of Long Tan in 1966. The producer is Martin Walsh, who’s previously made a documentary about the event. It’s getting fantastic reviews.
I’ll be covering the Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit in Sydney on 19â€“20 August.
A new episode of The 9pm Edict podcast with Nicholas Fryer will be recorded on Thursday 22 August and posted on Friday. I’m sure you totally believe that I’ll stick to that plan.
Here’s what’s planned beyond that. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets.
- New World Orders: The Rise of China in Historical Perspective, Lowy Institute, 23 August 2019.
- I’ll be in Adelaide from 30 August to 2 September, should you need me for anything.
- APNIC 48, Chiang Mai, 10â€“12 September 2019. I’ll enter Thailand through Bangkok on Wednesday 4 September, though, and spend a few day there before catching the daytime train up to Chiang Mai on Sunday 8.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8â€“10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.
- iapp ANZ Summit 2019, Sydney, 29â€“30 October 2019 (TBC). That’s the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
[Photo: A mob of Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos in Katoomba, photographed on 5 August 2019.]