My week of Monday 12 to Sunday 18 August 2019 saw an end to the snow and an unexpected return to Health Patrol tasks, but I also wrote a couple of interesting bits. Read on…
I’m pleased to say that @SnarkyPlatypus reached the target for his GoFundMe campaign even though it was only launched last week. Thanks, everyone. After a bit of a relapse and another hospitalisation earlier this week, he’s making good progress again, and will be back in touch with everyone later in the coming week.
- Media IT networks a national security risk: AFP, ZDNet Australia, 14 August 2019.
- The pointless puppetry of national securityâ€™s parliamentary processes, ZDNet Australia, 16 August 2019. I’m rather happy with this opinion piece.
Podcasts, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
None. But the week ahead will see quite a few of these things.
The Week Ahead
On Monday and Tuesday I’m in Sydney covering the Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit, and I’m sure that on Wednesday I’ll still be writing about it for ZDNet.
A new episode of The 9pm Edict podcast
with Nicholas Fryer will be recorded on Thursday and posted on Friday. This podcast is supported by the generosity of its listeners. Please subscribe for special benefits or throw a few coins into the tip jar.
Update 20 August 2019: Yes, this will definitely happen, but without Nicholas Fryer.
Also on Friday I’ll be going to the discussion New World Orders: The Rise of China in Historical Perspective at the Lowy Institute.
Here’s what’s planned beyond that. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets.
- I’ll be in Adelaide from 30 August to 2 September, should you need me for anything.
- APNIC 48, Chiang Mai, 10â€“12 September 2019. I’ll enter Thailand through Bangkok on Wednesday 4 September, though, and spend a few day there before catching the daytime train up to Chiang Mai on Sunday 8.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8â€“10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.
- iapp ANZ Summit 2019, Sydney, 29â€“30 October 2019 (TBC). That’s the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
[Photo: Crossing Sydney Harbour Bridge. The view from a train on the up track (that is, travelling towards Central station) crossing Sydney Harbour Bridge, with the Sydney Opera House and Circular Quay in the background. Photographed on 13 August 2019.]