The week of Monday 24 February to Sunday 1 March 2020 began in a rainy Melbourne and ended in a sunny Sydney, and I made a good podcast.
- “The 9pm Probe: Fiona Patten MLC”, being The 9pm Edict episode 96. It’s also on Spreaker and SoundCloud.
- Telstra to roll out RPKI routing security from June 2020, ZDNet, 24 February 2020.
- Home Affairs savaged over poor data retention laws oversight, ZDNet, 28 February 2020. This series of Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security (PJCIS) inquiries is getting very interesting. I’ll have more stories in the coming weeks.
The remaining stories from the APRICOT / APNIC 49 conference, as well as another feature for ZDNet, will be published in the coming week.
- My photo of Melbourne’s Flinders Street station from last week was used in a story on a Chinese tourism site titled 墨尔本点亮中国色丨无论你在哪里, 我们休戚与共! According to Google Translate that’s “Melbourne lights up in China 丨 Wherever you are, we have a common ground!” I don’t think that’s a very good translation.
The Week Ahead
I start the week in Sydney, On Monday, I’m writing ZDNet through the day, then in the evening there’s a panel discussion Leadership for good: combating viral panic, misinformation and racism at the University of Sydney. After that, a nightcap with a visiting friend.
On Tuesday, after a morning of writing I return to Wentworth Falls for a couple of days on the newly-restored railway line before heading back down to Sydney again on Thursday for a week and a bit of cat-sitting through to 15 March. There will also be writing.
On Thursday lunchtime there’s a Lowy Institute event, What are the right encryption laws for Australia?, with the Independent National Security Legislation Monitor (INSLM). See last week for two stories related to that.
I’ve kept the weekend clear.
So many little events pencilled in!
- Book launch: Contest for the Indo-Pacific: Why China won’t map the future, by Rory Medcalf, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 10 March 2020.
- AustCyber AllStars: Launch of the CISO Lens Benchmark and Australia’s Sector Competitiveness Plan, Sydney, 11 March 2020.
- Indonesia: A tough road ahead, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 16 March 2020.
- Australia’s place in the world: a conversation with rising politicians Peter Khalil and Dave Sharma, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 17 March 2020.
- Update 2 March 2020: The next episode of The 9pm Edict podcast will be recorded on 19 March 2020.
- Ethics of data science conference 2020, Sydney, 25–27 March 2020.
- Australian Cyber Conference, Canberra, 6–7 May 2020 (TBC).
- AusCERT 2020 Cyber Security Conference, Gold Coast, 2–5 June 2020 (TBC).
- Australian Cyber Conference, Melbourne, 27-29 October 2020 (TBC).
Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets if it’s outside the Sydney region, yeah?
[Photo: Cloudscape, being the view while climbing out of Melbourne on the evening of 25 February 2020.]