My week of Monday 24 to Sunday 30 April 2023 was dominated by the Public House Forum podcast recording. Running both audio and video livestreams while hosting and producing the show was a significant workload, and quite a bit of time was soaked up with the logistics and testing of a new and more complex rig. But I’m happy.
As I write this I’m still in Sydney after Saturday’s podcast recording, so I haven’t checked the cameras since Friday. However this week we’ve only seen the usual pair of rats and, once again, the Big Fucking Possum. Clearly we must be patient to trap this fox.
The 9pm Public House Forum 7 was recorded live at the Royal Exhibition Hotel on Saturday, and it went well. However the YouTube video livestream suffered audio problems, and I want to give both the audio and video versions a light-touch edit, mostly to remove the intermission’s filler music. So you’ll have to be patient. Tuesday night, probably.
- Digital developments from Canberra 33. The Defence Strategic Review dominated the relevant news from Canberra these last two weeks, but we also saw moves on combating far-right extremism, fighting the scams and spams, and various minor bits and pieces.
You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to an email compilation of any new stories each Sunday morning.
Media Appearances, Photos, Videos, Corporate Largesse
None of these things. You can subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified when new videos appear.
Another week, another bunch of chapters in the Musk-Twitter saga.
- The big story this week was of course the new SpaceX Starship rocket going boom. The US Federal Aviation Administration has grounded the type.
- Hate speech surges after Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter: Study.
- Twitter to let publishers charge users per article read, says Elon Musk.
- Elon Musk Talks Twitter, Censorship and the ‘Woke Mind Virus’ on ‘Real Time With Bill Maher’.
- Tesla’s defence lawyers tell a court that Elon Musk’s statements on self-driving cars could be ‘deepfakes’. Also, the dog ate his homework.
- Joe Biden Jokes Elon Musk Could Ruin NPR By Buying It.
- South Korea’s Yoon meets Elon Musk in pitch for investment.
- And finally from CNN, Six months into Elon Musk’s Twitter: The fall of verification and birth of Twitter Blue in one very long chart.
This Weekly Wrap is already way late, so I’ll leave it there. Expect quite a few more links next week.
The Week Ahead
On Monday I’ll return to the Blue Mountains and, in the afternoon, catch up on some client work. On Tuesday, after a client meeting, I’ll do that podcast post-production. And then on Wednesday I have another three-hour client handover and training session online.
Friday sees another day trip to Sydney for the usual variety of appointments and errands. Update 3 May 2023: No it doesn’t.
On Saturday it’s the Coronation of Charles III, although I have no idea what I’ll actually do about it. Indeed, much of the day will be spend doing some of the massive catch-up bookkeeping to, um, “get my tax affairs in order”. This week it’s the 2015–2016 financial year.
- AusCERT Cyber Security Conference, Gold Coast and online, 9–12 May 2023 (TBA). This is always an excellent conference, but right now I’m not reporting on the cybers so I don’t think I can justify the time.
- He Huang’s Bad B***h, The Factory Theatre, Marrickville, 17 May 2023.
- Truth, Trust and Hope, “a global dialogue on disinformation and the erosion of public understanding and trust in science”, Nobel Prize Outreach, Washington DC and online, 24-26 May 2023.
- The 9pm Public House Forum 8 livestream and recording, 27 May 2023 at 12.30pm (TBA).