January 30th, 2013

Well, I’m going to bed now, ‘cos I need to be up at 0500 to have an Opinion about something. Whatever it is. I am the Media. Kill me.

via Plume for Android

No wonder this city has Australia’s top per capita heroin consumption.

Finally, some human companionship instagr.am/p/VG7u3xCFkf/

Canberra parties through the night instagr.am/p/VG7bkCCFkS/

Canberra’s cosmopolitan nightlife instagr.am/p/VG66KfiFkF/

via Instagram

Canberra, the only city in Australia where a university bar is indistinguishable from an office instagr.am/p/VG6sa0CFj9/

via Instagram

Thank Christ for sat nav.

via Plume for Android

Oh. Yeah. That probably should have been a DM.

via Plume for Android

@nanopunk On the other hand, it’s Canberra and I’m desperate, so I’ll SMS you my hotel room number to pass on.

via Plume for Android in reply to PitcherJenna

@nanopunk It’s probably best if you don’t tell your brother about any of this.

via Plume for Android in reply to PitcherJenna

Consensus running 2 to 1 against.

via Plume for Android

So is “like Chevy Chase in his 20s” a description of rootability or not?

via Plume for Android

Some of these people have been drinking.

Why Linux is more secure than Windows, Part 527. instagr.am/p/VGyuGdiFvJ/

via Instagram

@nanopunk You have a bro? Um, how can I ask this…? Well, the question is obvious.

via Plume for Android in reply to PitcherJenna

Hipsters squeal? How, exactly?

via Plume for Android

RT @jethrocarr Being deafened by @stilgherrian at the back of the wig and pen pub. [I’m just warming up.]

via Plume for Android

@chrisjrn @cheshireb @gusworldau I have dealt with the email backlog. Is the Wig and Pen still the venue?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to chrisjrn

@cheshireb @chrisjrn @gusworldau I suspect it’ll be a while before I can seek food. I haven’t looked at email in hours and predict chaos.

via Plume for Android in reply to cheshireb

Wed plan, remainder: Check in; clear annoying work backlog; dinner, possibly with fellow humans, depending on the time.

via Plume for Android

In some cities they advertise burgers, cars, cheap home loans… but this is Canberra instagr.am/p/VGZ8hjiFks/

Touchdown, Canberra.

via Plume for Android

Transmitters off. See you in Canberra.

via Plume for Android

The on this flight is going to be dismal, and all I have for pleasure is half a packet of sour gummy bears.

via Plume for Android

Whichever moron started using “pumped” for “excited” clearly never worked on a farm or an emergency ward.

via Plume for Android

BernardKeane One assumes the last 4 hours of stupid is merely a taste of what we’ve all got to look forward to between now and… well, forever, eh?

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 4:55 PM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Plume for Android)

We shall be flying to Canberra in this ATR 72, it seems instagr.am/p/VGMrjQCFuA/

via Instagram

And… there goes the MacBook Pro’s . Today is, in general, not in my favour.

via Janetter for Mac

No, bumped to Gate 31, once this Melbourne-bound piece of shit gets out of the way instagr.am/p/VGKwDjCFsg/

Ready for flight at Gate 38, mostly instagr.am/p/VGIkifiFrL/

via Instagram

@ScottRhodie @joshgnosis Wait. It was 34k emails before, now only 31k. What happened to the other 3k? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?

via Plume for Android in reply to ScottRhodie

And now I am inside an airport.

via Plume for Android

It’d be like getting off at Redfern for the Mile High Club instagr.am/p/VGEScoiFoJ/

via Instagram

James_Jeffrey FIngers crossed Tony Abbott responds to the PM’s “hipster glasses” with a monocle. Nothing says focus like a monocle.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 3:37 PM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Plume for Android)

Airport bound! (Incorporating the Glamour of Flight) instagr.am/p/VGDiJGCFno/

via Instagram

@ScottRhodie @joshgnosis I’ll just label every eighth email “cabcharge” or “hookers”, that should sort it.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ScottRhodie

@ApostrophePong Hey, I still wouldn’t mind a visit to Napyithaw. ;)

via Janetter for Mac in reply to ApostrophePong

RT @ScottRhodie: Delete 24,000 emails? sure… [That’s what happens when they announce an election? I thought only when government changes.]

via Janetter for Mac

@SenatorLudlam On day 1 you have 1 gin. On day 2, 4. On day 3, 8. On day 4, 16. And so it goes. You know it’s the only way to cope.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to SenatorLudlam

For the next couple of hours. as I travel, I’ll be pondering what to ask @timberners_lee that hasn’t already been asked this week.

via Janetter for Mac

@chrisbrownie I don’t “love” it, I just use it.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to chrisbrownie

RT @0x1C: @stilgherrian Hey I learned something today. “Wet lease.” en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_lease… [That’s my wet work for the day. No wait.]

via Janetter for Mac

Agreed, @snerdish @damonism, the ATR 72 is a comfy aircraft, though I can’t recall the noise level relative to a Dash 8 / Q400.

via Janetter for Mac

joshgnosis The election is also being held on the day Patrick Swayze died.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 2:07 PM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

Oh excellent, I’ll be flying an ATR 72. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_72 With luck, I’ll see something other than clouds.

via Janetter for Mac

And, finally, I seem to be booked onto an aeroplane that will go to Canberra. @VirginAustralia VA662 SYD-CBR departing 1735 AEDT. Ta, guys.

via Janetter for Mac

All my spurious card auth transactions from the @VirginAustralia website have now been reversed. Thanks, guys, I get to eat tonight.

via Janetter for Mac

“FINAL GIRAFFE ARRIVES IN AUSTRALIA”, says a media release from Minister Clare. At least SOMEONE is making sense this afternoon.

via Janetter for Mac

BREAKING: Postal and early voting abolished in Wentworth. Just Wentworth.

via Janetter for Mac

Pollytics Well this all got pretty stupid, pretty quickly.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 1:45 PM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

Oh yes, @juhasaarinen, Senator Stilgherrian will be the plan for 2016. ;)

via Plume for Android in reply to juhasaarinen

NewtonMark It’s still legal to abort the campaign during the first trimester, isn’t it?

via Tweetbot for iOS (retweeted on 1:37 PM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Plume for Android)

@SnarkyPlatypus @dobes @WarWraith Shoosh. I’m having a private little fantasy moment after a stressful morning.

via Plume for Android in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Waiting PATIENTLY for the next stage of the journey instagr.am/p/VF1HawiFqD/

via Instagram

My measure of politicians etc these next 228 days will be whether they show signs of thought rather than being tedious robot-parrots.

via Plume for Android

In a moment of sheer optimism, I bought a train ticket from Wentworth Falls to Domestic Airport. And a pie.

via Plume for Android

Wed plan, v3: 1331 train to Sydney; reading, scripting for @timberners_lee video en route; fly to Canberra (TBA); evening TBA, with gin.

via Janetter for Mac

Great. @ApostrophePong gets an extended trip to Burma. I get three days in Canberra. IT’S NOT FAIR.

via Janetter for Mac

RT @NormanSec: China lost US$46B to in 2012, reports @ZDNet: ow.ly/he48I [And how much did they make?]

via Janetter for Mac

@VirginAustralia Thanks. I know you’re having a hectic day. I still feel hesitant pressing the website button; let’s hope the bug’s killed.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to VirginAustralia

RT @mpesce: “Why do Americans Hate Android and Love Apple” - readwrite.com/2013/01/29/why… [Oh I know, Sir! Is it ‘Freedom’? ‘Freedom’, Sir?”]

via Janetter for Mac

My immediate goal is to make sure I have everything I need for the journey before I leave @bunjaree for Sydney. Focus needed.

via Janetter for Mac

Just got a call from @VirginAustralia with apology (lovely), progress on reversing charges (good), flight credits (lovely). Details later.

via Janetter for Mac

NPsteve “Buzzfeed: Ten numbers before the number eleven that you HAVE to know”

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 11:47 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

Who the fuck decided that dumping a pile of embedded tweets into a web page, along with all their UI cruft, was “journalism”?

Laughing in despair.

via Janetter for Mac

nprmonkeysee At the end of an angry-making day, at least there’s justice on Judge Judy.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 11:02 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

@bastardsheep I think you’re being remarkably generous re the amount of thought involved. @rbbrown @monkeytypist @SnarkyPlatypus @damonism

via Janetter for Mac in reply to bastardsheep

RT @rbbrown: “Ludite” [sic] techies? That is one seriously niche “tribe” [Constantly neglected. @monkeytypist @SnarkyPlatypus @damonism]

via Janetter for Mac

@jonoabroad PR people also read it, and attention-whores. “Representative families” are usually anything but.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jonoabroad

Hey kids, want to be stereotyped? Here’s your chance! Anthropologists, ethnographers, look away now. sourcebottle.com/query.asp?iid=…

via Janetter for Mac

GreenJ If Today Tonight folds into Seven News, that says quite a bit about the network’s concept of “news”.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 10:36 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

SnarkyPlatypus Pyne to reform parliament to become an endless sequence of attempts to suspend standing orders.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 10:32 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

Yes, a long hot shower helps.

via Janetter for Mac

Now I really do need that long hot shower.

via Janetter for Mac

“Amongst my Twitter followers”. How pure does that sound? But rolling the numbers, it doesn’t seem good for @VirginAustralia.

via Janetter for Mac

So far @VirginAustralia doesn’t have a number for how many people have been affected, but two amongst my Twitter followers last night.

via Janetter for Mac

I just got a call from Matt Dixon, @VirginAustralia’s Guest Relations Team Manager. Everyone affected by this problem will be contacted.

via Janetter for Mac

Well, I suppose I should shower and pack and at least head to Sydney. With luck I’ll figure out en route how to progress further.

clementine_ford Chris Brown - JUST LIKE JESUS. pic.twitter.com/LMBfJQFQ

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 9:37 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

clementine_ford Teenage girl blossoming into beautiful object. Good work @TheOnion! theonion.com/articles/teena…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 9:23 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

Perhaps, @jodiem, but @VirginAustralia is dealing with floods etc. Still, the one thing both I and they want is a flight booking.

via Janetter for Mac

I suddenly realise, though, that no-one at @VirginAustralia has thought to contact me to complete the flight booking I was trying to make.

via Janetter for Mac

The @VirginAustralia team has responded, @jodiem, just not to that question. They checked that I had received the cancellation paperwork.

via Janetter for Mac

Meanwhile my question to @VirginAustralia about whether their website booking problem has been fixed remains unanswered.

via Janetter for Mac

Oh well, I emailed that @VirginAustralia staffer to ask what next. But if they were working at 2215 last night, and it’s 0905 now… Sigh.

via Janetter for Mac

Double-checking the @VirginAustralia email… no, no phone number listed, only email or a PO box to get these transactions reversed. Gawd.

via Janetter for Mac

0859. Transaction reference numbers obtained from @Westpac. Now, to send them to @VirginAustralia by… email? My card number? Um, no.

via Janetter for Mac

RyanSheales This images purports to crush all atheist arguments… though I suspect foul play. pic.twitter.com/dPDki0fS

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:53 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

0845. I begin chasing the details @VirginAustralia needs to reverse the card auths they made on their system because audit trails. Uhuh.

via Janetter for Mac

wheelyweb So “first-world-problem” it’s not funny: Reported bad kerning in Toronto Subway stop: seeclickfix.com/issues/374150

via OS X (retweeted on 8:29 AM, Jan 30th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

I’m not even going to read those emails. No-one outside the people involved gives a fuck about that sort of thing.

via Janetter for Mac

Oh great. To judge by the emails I’m getting, there’s now some fucked-up interpersonal bullshit going down at as well. Sigh.

via Janetter for Mac

I’ve asked @VirginAustralia how I can be sure the problem has been fixed, that their website no longer takes card auths without booking.

via Janetter for Mac

@jplonie Train works only if I start rushing this very minute and dump a whole pile of other thing that have to be done this morning.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jplonie

Wed plan, likely version: Spend half the day fucking around to get enough money back so that “card declined” isn’t the only thing in my day.

via Janetter for Mac

Wed plan, wishful thinking: Reading, scripting for @timberners_lee video; train to Sydney; fly to Canberra; write for @zdnetaustralia.

via Janetter for Mac

I’d whinge about the other fucked-up aspects of this whole Canberra thing, but I know Twitter is not for whinging.

via Janetter for Mac

This is all going to end in tears. Probably mine. But I’m willing to share the joy.

via Janetter for Mac

IVR messages at @VirginAustralia assume you know / can see a difference between “card charged” and “auth placed”. Look the same our end.

via Janetter for Mac

I know how to get the money back, but in time? And do I trust @VirginAustralia’s website not to do the same thing again? I don’t think I do.

via Janetter for Mac

So it would appear that despite the impression I got from @VirginAustralia’s conflicting messages, I have no flight booking. Or money.

via Janetter for Mac

@eldonnn @bunjaree Yes. End of spring. The date on that post is…? End of spring.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to eldonnn