May 19th, 2013

“I know who [Bitcoin inventor] ‘Satoshi Nakamoto’ is, says Ted Nelson”, writes @R_Chirgwin, with my feelpinion. theregister.co.uk/2013/05/19/ted…

via Janetter for Mac

Is there any way of deleting iTunes from the iPad? ‘Cos it just suggested Cat Empire.

via Janetter for Mac

RT @dahowlett: Stop moaning, grab a few bevvies in the Castro and experience real SF life. [You have a point. I’m too tired tho.]

via Janetter for Mac

Next observation: Mail is iOS loads me settings from Mail for OS X, but not my filters and other rules. That’s a bit shoddy.

via Janetter for Mac

@jeamland Oh for sure, I can’t do a bunch of work without SSH.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeamland

RT @mjec: gnupg is also free [And you’ve just reminded me to sort that crypto shit out, thank you.]

via Janetter for Mac

@Colvinius @domknight “Stabby”? Ah, and I suspect “arsehat” too?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to Colvinius

@jeamland Thanks. I (still) use NetNewsWire for OS X. Dropbox I use already, yes. iView is indeed a thing I use (but not from the US).

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeamland

Right. 1Password for iOS is $18.99, while the 1Password Reader for Android is free. I get the picture.

via Janetter for Mac

I’ll start by going thru my Android device and downloading the equivalents.

via Janetter for Mac

So, NetSuite gave all the media at SuiteWorld an iPad Mini. (Yeah, I know.) So, since I’ve been doing Android, what are the must-haves?

via Janetter for Mac

@Colvinius @domknight Ah, we have never met, and yet you know me so well…

via Janetter for Mac in reply to Colvinius

Colvinius @stilgherrian @domknight I see the milk of human kindness is running as warmly as ever in your veins.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 2:17 PM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

@domknight @Colvinius So people are whinging that their sky-chairs with food and drink service lead to a bit of inconvenience? Diddums.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to domknight

@deejayqf That’s my understanding (and postr-exhaustion memory) from having read all the news stories.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to deejayqf

@deejayqf No, Exetel was a downstream “victim” of the block by AAPT, with customer complaints, at least if I recall correctly.

via Janetter for Mac

jstogdill A pox on websites that put each paragraph on a separate page.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 2:08 PM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

@scottcarson1957 Oh cool. Apart from school stuff, I can’t remember my first. Probably some ranty letter to the editor somewhere.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to scottcarson1957

benpobjie Foreskins RT @Mamamia: Which ridiculous fashion staples have invaded your wardrobe space? bit.ly/XHkYWH

via Tweetbot for iOS (retweeted on 2:05 PM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

Oh. This red wine has triggered a sneezing fit. Histamines FTL.

via Janetter for Mac

@scottcarson1957 Yeah but you’re an engineer. That’s OK. I’m MEANT to be a writer.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to scottcarson1957

ajojones1 Beautiful NZ. Spacey prop shot of lake Tekapo on flight to Queenstown. @FlyAirNZ pic.twitter.com/FVsz18ZCUV

via Photos on iOS (retweeted on 1:56 PM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

RT @Asher_Wolf: @stilgherrian @lukebunyip @dannolan pic.twitter.com/meQO6vxo9F [Apple protects you from data overruns? Cute. Or annoying.]

via Janetter for Mac

Given that the job of an editor is to edit, I’ve sent my rambling unfocused things to said editor. And opened the wine.

via Janetter for Mac

Maybe they could say stuff like “Getting this new client has got us bleeding from every orifice, and that’s before we start servicing them.”

via Janetter for Mac

RT @jdub: Then you’ll be all, “Why did the executive have to say ‘moist’?” [At first, yes. And then I’ll phone them as soon as I can.]

via Janetter for Mac

RT @zerogeewhiz: We once got a letter from Rockdale Council telling us about exciting changes to our garbage collection. [WTF? Arsehats.]

via Janetter for Mac

One day I’ll read a vendor press release about a new customer or partner, and the quote from the executive will not use “excited”. One day.

via Janetter for Mac

@lewellyn Yeah it’s less than 24 hours until I head to the airport now. But this shouldn’t be my only visit this year.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to lewellyn

@juhasaarinen Let’s just nuke the lot of them and give another species a go.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to juhasaarinen

Shaun Micallef voices the Aust Bureau of Stats app, @sylmobile? I should never have introduced him to Supernaut. [Grumbles.]

via Janetter for Mac

People are just stupid, @juhasaarinen. I recommend against them.

via Janetter for Mac

If people are so goddam worried by “spoilers”, why does anyone still stage Shakespeare, read Dickens, or go to see a movie remake? Arsehats.

via Janetter for Mac

So in theory, the fact that last night’s curry has started to return should mean that the article I’n trying to finish will win a Walkley.

via Janetter for Mac

pattonoswalt Never forget: FRANKENSTEIN was written by a teenage girl on absinthe & DRACULA by an Irish dude who had a nightmare after eating bad crab.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 12:21 PM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

I’m back at the hotel, and it’s just gone 1915 PDT. I’m going to finish this goddam article, despite my lack of focus, and then collapse.

via Janetter for Mac

@lewellyn I won’t be doing anything tonight. Once I’ve filed, I’ll be totally out of energy. I’ll rest and try for an early start tomorrow.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to lewellyn

NicholasFryer Just stumbled into a dog show. 2 comps just announced: who looks most like their dog and which can lick owner longest. Not making this up.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 11:23 AM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

@sprawldcity Given their first app was only January, a Census data app, I’m guessing @ABSStats is testing the waters before spending more.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to sprawldcity

@sprawldcity @ABSStats That question can be answered by looking at the page. Apple’s App Store is the only link. runthattown.abs.gov.au

via Janetter for Mac in reply to sprawldcity

Ted Nelson, coiner of “hypertext”, claims that Bitcoin creator “Satoshi Nakamoto” is Shinichi Mochizuki. youtube.com/watch?v=emDJTG… HT @pblakez

via Janetter for Mac

I think I might retweet that Bitcoin thing, now that people are awake.

via Janetter for Mac

@prestontowers When I checked the numbers years ago, Opera Australia was already subsidised over $100 per seat per performance.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to prestontowers

@piecritic The fact that we joined an illegal land war in Central Asia, killing hundreds of thousands, makes me mad. But hey, priorities. ;)

via Janetter for Mac in reply to piecritic

Whinging about $100k on Skywhale? Refresh your memory of the money given to Mozart cover bands and Verdi karaoke clubs (Opera Aust).

via Janetter for Mac

firstdogonmoon LOOK AT THAT THING! LOOK AT IT! RT @dmatthewsact: about to eat Parliament House! pic.twitter.com/jeh2UsOuDD

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 10:46 AM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

RT @PaulBongiorno: Penny Wong giving the govt’s budget perspective now on Ten [I’m guessing she thinks it’s good?]

via Janetter for Mac

The ABS’ “Run That Town is iPad as well as iPhone. Here’s the iTunes page. itunes.apple.com/app/run-that-t…

naomiwoodley Good morning ! pic.twitter.com/zFkJPwQKBo

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 10:33 AM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

“Take control of any neighbourhood in Australia”? I do hope no-one at the ABS has read “Ender’s Game”.

via Janetter for Mac

“Run That Town”, an iPhone game from, em, Australian Bureau of Statistics? Real-world data? If so, Win! runthattown.abs.gov.au HT @dannolan

via Janetter for Mac

@lewellyn I’m currently seeing if seafood and a beer will help me regain the flow I had earlier. It seems to be working.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to lewellyn

@lewellyn No plans yet, but TBH I think that when I eventually finish this goddam article I’m writing I’ll just throw myself into the ocean.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to lewellyn

Yay. Flow has been regained.

Until I finish this article, this is my world instagram.com/p/Zd9955iFpC/

via Instagram

Sat plan, 1400 PDT update: Finish this goddam article, which is taking forever to write; a late afternoon and evening of food and drink.

via Janetter for Mac

daveshackleford Everyone needs this today. Every day, in fact. twitpic.com/crh7v9

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 6:03 AM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

OK, enough about “Satoshi Nakamoto”, Shinichi Mochizuki and Bitcoin for now. I’ve GOT to get this article written.

via Janetter for Mac

@jeffsonstein Work, yes. I’ll take about 2.5 hours to write, and them I’m loose in San Francisco until late Sunday night. It’ll be terrible.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

@jeffsonstein There is that. ;) Alas, I must stop thinking about that for now, and finish the article I’m commissioned to write.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

@jeffsonstein People have told me that. “Computer Lib / Dream Machines” was a huge influence on me. And now if he’s right about this? Wow.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to jeffsonstein

@jeffsonstein Heh. I was wondering when you’d get to the Ted Nelson tweet. ;)

via Janetter for Mac

@pblakez @feesable And the hiding is illegal, and if too much goes hidden then The Authorities deploy resources to track it down. [Shrugs.]

via Janetter for Mac in reply to pblakez

@pblakez @feesable But isn’t tax about where you do business, not which currency transactions are done in?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to pblakez

@feesable @pblakez Dollars or Bitcoin, if you don’t account for your cash transactions, The Authorities will still make your life misery.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to feesable

@feesable @pblakez Anonymity-thru-crypto appeals to the fight-the-Man teen mentality, but real commerce just wants efficiency.

via Janetter for Mac in reply to feesable

Oh OK, so we already have bitpay.com from some PayPal founders. That’ll work. bitpay.com HT @pblakez

via Janetter for Mac

@feesable @pblakez Key factor is a critical mass of users, IMO, business people not geeks. Ease of use leads to that, and a trusted brand?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to feesable

via Janetter for Mac

So I’m starting to write now. Frogopalypse or not.

via Janetter for Mac

edyong209 Pregnancy tests brought frogpocalypse to US nature.com/news/pregnancy…

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 4:30 AM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

RT @semanticwill: Beef Jerky Business Cards rethinkcanada.com/our-work/archi… [For a Canadian survival training firm.]

via Janetter for Mac

ivovic DS9: To boldly stay in one place and endlessly analyse religion and superstition.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 4:12 AM, May 19th, 2013 via Janetter for Mac)

Do you really want to understand the future? Then watch “Electric Dreams”! youtube.com/watch?v=S74s4j… HT @BlaqSwans

via Janetter for Mac

Excellent breakfast at @cafemason here in SFO. Thanks to Erin’s bright service, I’ll be back for breakfast tomorrow. cafemasonsf.com

via Janetter for Mac

Mobile. In search of breakfast.

via Janetter for Mac

@dahowlett Well, the Apple Store is only a block or two away, thank you. But I was wondering if there’s some more crafty stuff around?

via Janetter for Mac in reply to dahowlett

RT @Me: So where in San Francisco should I go to get a really cool iPad Mini cover case folder hipster thing? Will fellate for cool factor.

via Janetter for Mac

Sat plan, 0945 PDT: Hearty breakfast; write words for money, ending the week’s work; a very long lunch somewhere pleasant; evening TBA.