My fortnight of Monday 28 January to Sunday 10 February 2019 was a mixed bag. The hot weather knocked me around a bit, and so did the lack of news, but hey these things happen sometimes.
2019 is slowly getting under way, however, and there’ll be even more activity in the coming week.
- ACSC dumps annual conference, partners with AISA for cyber events, ZDNet Australia, 29 January 2019.
- Australian web hosts hit with a Manic Menagerie of malware, ZDNet Australia, 30 January 2019.
None, but see below.
My explainer on Australia’s anti-encryption laws from early December has been getting quite a few mentions, which pleases me. It’s also worth reading my article about the problem of definitions and the risk of employees being dragooned into secret work.
- On Friday 1 February I met with people from Verizon Global Security Services, and they paid for the coffee.
The Week Ahead
There’s a sitting of the Australian Parliament from Tuesday to Thursday, so there may be some action on the anti-encryption legislation. Supposedly it’s meant to be revisited, but the government will try to avoid it. Either way, there should be plenty for me to write about. I have some interview recordings to go through too.
I’ll also keep working on the Skank Media / The 9pm Edict / Corrupted Nerds website, and intend to have that all done by the end of the week — along with the first of the best-of episodes.
Nick Fryer and I will be recording the next joint episode of The 9pm Edict podcast on Thursday 21 February.
I hope to spend some time in Canberra in the next few weeks, but I haven’t figured out any dates yet. If there’s any event I should be there for, please let me know.
I’m pencilling in some of the year’s conferences and other events. This is a very partial list. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add.
- AusCERT 2019, Gold Coast, 28–31 May 2019.
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit, Sydney, 19–20 August 2019.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8–10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.
[Photo: Gardner’s Inn Hotel, Blackheath, photographed on 10 February 2019.]