My week of Monday 11 to Sunday 17 February 2019 was the kind of week I should’ve been having last month â€” monitoring events, getting some research done, and actually writing things. 2019 is finally under way. I think.
To celebrate, I’m giving you a picture of a Gang-Gang Cockatoo (Callocephalon fimbriatum). This curious young male visited Bunjaree Cottages in 2012, but I hear they’re being seen elsewhere in the upper Blue Mountains lately.
- Duelling ghosts battle over encryption laws in a dying Parliament, ZDNet Australia, 15 February 2019. But if you’re not up to speed on Australia’s encryption laws, first read my detailed explainer from 6 December before tackling this one.
None, but see below.
- On Tuesday I spoke about Russia’s internet isolation drill on ABC Adelaide. I won’t be posting the recording, but here’s a Twitter thread with background reading.
The Week Ahead
On Monday I’ll be finishing a story about cyberwar for ZDNet while en route down to Sydney for a lunchtime briefing by CrowdStrike. It’s then all about journalistic research and writing through the rest of the week, mostly.
I didn’t finish all the work on the Skank Media / The 9pm Edict / Corrupted Nerds website, that I’d hoped to finish last week. But that will finally be done by the end of this week, along with the first of the best-of episodes.
On Thursday I’m going to the annual Sex Lecture by the Centre for Social Research in Health at UNSW Sydney. “HIV social and behavioural research has been part and parcel of a visible transformation of local gay Asian men, their network formation and community building over the past two decades,” it says. I was fascinated by this sort of social research when I did HIV-related work in the 1990s, so I’m looking forward to this.
Schedule Change: Nick Fryer and I will now be recording the next joint episode of The 9pm Edict podcast on Thursday 28 February, and it will be posted that night,
I hope to spend some time in Canberra in the next few weeks, but I haven’t figured out any dates yet. If there’s any event I should be there for, please let me know.
I’m pencilling in some of the year’s conferences and other events. This is a very partial list. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add.
- Frontier cyberwars and whatâ€™s next: in-conversation with The New York Timesâ€™ David E Sanger, Sydney, 25 February 2019.
- AusCERT 2019, Gold Coast, 28â€“31 May 2019.
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit, Sydney, 19â€“20 August 2019.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8â€“10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.
[Photo: Gang-Gang Cockatoo (Callocephalon fimbriatum), photographed on 14 March 2012.]