My week of Monday 15 to Sunday 21 July 2019 was another one largely devoted to supporting my friend with an acute health problem, although I did get a little interesting work done along the way this time.
- Cyberwarâ€™s strategic value â€˜unclearâ€™: Hugh White,Â ZDNet Australia, 18 July 2019. As I wrote, “Cybers are a cheap and effective deterrent, says one of Australia’s leading strategic analysts. But wars will still be fought in the ‘boring old real world’, so let’s reconsider nukes.”
- For some reason my comments to ABC News about FaceApp from 2017 were recycled this week in stories around the world, including at LBGTQ Nation, El Sol de San Juan, Rumbos (a masthead of Via PaÃs in Argentina), Exame Informatica in Portugal, Schwulissimo in Germany, and NetGazeti in Georgia. That’s the curly text in the image below. I particularly like my citation in Noticias Ya in Santa Monica, California, where I was described as “Stilgherrian, un famoso comentarista tecnolÃ³gico de Twitter”.
- On Tuesday there were snacks at the Lowy Institute, as usual. It hardly seems worth mentioning this, but I decided years ago to list Every Goddam Thing so here we are.
The Week Ahead
My gut feeling is that my friend’s condition, which does not seem to be improving after all, will mean more time for me on Health Patrol this week. I hope I’m not being pessimistic. But that said, here’s the alleged plan.
On Tuesday evening I’m going to the Lowy Institute session Mapping power in Asia, a discussion of the 2019 Lowy Institute Asia Power Index. Check it out.
At some point I’ll record an episode of The 9pm Edict.This podcast is supported by the generosity of its listeners. Please subscribe for special benefits or throw a few coins into the tip jar. Doing so this week would be especially appreciated, due to the time spent on Health Patrol this month.
A new episode of The 9pm Edict podcast with Nicholas Fryer will be recorded on Thursday 1 August and posted that night. We had to push it back because reasons.
Here’s the events I’m planning to attend beyond that. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets.
- Xi Jinping: The Backlash, Lowy Institute, 8 August 2019
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit, Sydney, 19â€“20 August 2019.
- APNIC 48, Chiang Mai, 10â€“12 September 2019. I’ll enter Thailand through Bangkok on Wednesday 4 September, though, and spend a few day there before catching the daytime train up to Chiang Mai on Sunday 8.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8â€“10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.
- iapp ANZ Summit 2019, Sydney, 29â€“30 October 2019 (TBC). That’s the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
[Photo: Dusk train at Burwood, photographed from the Hotel Burwood on the evening of 21 July 2019.]