My week of Monday 8 to Sunday 14 July 2019 was almost entirely devoted to supporting a friend with an acute health problem in Ashfield. I didn’t publish anything, but at least I can tell you about what’s coming up.
- The news cycle about the spike-destroying sulphur-crested cockatoo from last week continued. There’s too many to link to, but I will highlight this one where the description of the cockatoo was rendered as badass chicken.
- One of my photos was used to illustrate an ANU article, Parliament’s joint intelligence committee the right body to review press freedom.
Articles, Podcasts, Corporate Largesse
The Week Ahead
Monday is intended to be dedicated to getting my productivity back on track, but that depends on how my friend’s health is going.
On Tuesday I’m going to the Lowy Institute session Hugh White: How to defend Australia, followed by a medical appointment of my own.
On Wednesday I’m covering the launch of the NSW Cyber Security Innovation Node. Yes, a node. Update 19 July 2019: Cancelled because I’m still on Health Patrol.
At this stage I’m planning to return to the Blue Mountains on Wednesday evening, but that will depend on my friend’s health and various logistical factors.
A new episode ofÂ The 9pm Edict Â podcast with Nicholas Fryer will be recorded on Thursday 18 July and posted that night. Update 19 July 2019: This has been rescheduled to Thursday 1 August, but I’ll be doing a solo episode before then.
Beyond that the schedule is not scheduled.
Here’s a very partial list of some events that I’m planning to attend. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets.
- Mapping power in Asia, the launch of the 2019 Lowy Institute Asia Power Index, Sydney, 23 July 2019.
- Xi Jinping: The Backlash, Lowy Institute, 8 August 2019
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit, Sydney, 19â€“20 August 2019.
- APNIC 48, Chiang Mai, 9â€“11 September 2019. I’ll start in Bangkok a few days beforehand, though, and get the train up to Chiang Mai to see a bit of the countryside.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8â€“10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.
[Photo: Soon, there will be trams… The L2 line light rail tracks past Sydney’s Central station are now being tested, and the line is due to open open in December 2019. This photograph was taken from the railway overpass on Eddy Avenue on 8 July 2019.]