My week of Monday 3 to Sunday 9 May 2021 was almost identical to the previous week: A productivity collapse, a lot of introspection, but another wonderful podcast. This must change, but I’m happy enough with what it was.
- The 9pm Snakes, Steaks, and Mistakes with Jon Kudelka, recorded on Tuesday afternoon with one of Australia’s most lovely cartoonists. This is a fun and rambling conversation.
- One of my tweets was quoted by The Indian Express in their story Irish Presidentâ€™s dog interrupts official address: Hereâ€™s how he handled it. Such fame.
Articles, Videos, Corporate Largesse
None of any of these things yet again. You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to get a compilation of new stories by email each Sunday morning, when there are some.
If you find these links useful please let me know. They don’t take long to compile, but I’m always looking for ways to save time.
- I Want My Mutually Assured Destruction: How 1980s MTV helped my students understand the Cold War. Tom Nichols is one of the more interesting conservative US commentators I follow. This is one heck of an article.
- Essay: Why I Say “Fuck”, or as she puts it, “My name is Mona Eltahawy and this is my declaration of faith: Fuck the patriarchy”.
- â€˜Iâ€™d Never Been Involved in Anything as Secret as Thisâ€™. It’s ten years since these events, a fact that stuns me. “The plan to kill Osama bin Laden â€” from the spycraft to the assault to its bizarre political backdrop â€” as told by the people in the room.”
- The Morrison Government should help stranded Australians, build quarantine stations, and stop wanking on desks. The Shot is just the most amazing blog sometimes.
The Week Ahead
This week I really must get back on the work horse, because I really do need to generate some revenue. But on Monday I’m running errands and getting my flu vaccine too, because I’m scheduled to finally get my first COVID-19 vaccine two weeks after that and there has to be a minimum 14-day gap.
Tuesday night is Budget Night, and I daresay I’ll end up writing something about that somewhere, even though most of the bigger ticket items seem to have been pre-announced for favourable media coverage.
On Thursday and Friday I’m covering the AusCERT 2021 cybersecurity conference via the internet. I was tempted to go to the Gold Coast, but no not until I’m vaccinated.
No recordings for The 9pm Edict this week, but in the pipeline are episodes with author John Birmingham to be posted on 18 May, cartoonist Cathy Wilcox on 29 May, satirist Mark Humphries on 11 June, and space archaeologist Dr Alice Gorman on a date to be decided.
- The 9pm Edict with John Birmingham , recorded 17 May 2021 and planned to be posted 18 May.
- The 8pm Quiz S02 E04, 20 May 2021, so yes it’s back to the plan of it being on the third Thursday of the month.
- Covid-19 vaccination number one, 24 May 2021.
- The 9pm Edict with Cathy Wilcox , recorded 28 May 2021.
- The 9pm Edict with Mark Humphries , recorded 11 June 2021.
- The 8pm Quiz S02 E05, 17 June 2021.
- Australian Cyber Conference, Melbourne, 15â€“17 November 2021 (TBC).
[Photo: Red Dawn at Bunjaree Cottages, photographed on 12 May 2016. ]