My week of Monday 16 to Sunday 22 February 2015 has been busy, productive and exhausting. And it’s still going. If only my life lately were about more than just trying to be busy and productive. Sigh.
- “The 9pm Malcolm and the Cnuts”, being The 9pm Edict episode 37. I hadn’t planned to do an episode of the Edict this week, but on Friday I had an encounter with Malcolm Turnbull, and one thing led to another… But I am getting more efficient. This episode only took six hours to produce, although it did omit a couple of regular segments.
- Corrupted Nerds Extra: Malcolm Turnbull opens NICTA Techfest 2015, being the full audio of Turnbull’s speech and subsequent doorstop press conference.
- Stop monkeying around with our metadata laws, prime minister, ZDNet Australia, 19 February 2015. I’ve had an incredible reaction to this story about Australia’s plans for mandatory telecommunications data retention. The Prime Minister makes his major statement on national security tomorrow. He’s wanting to rush this legislation through parliament before the end of March. But as this article and this week’s Download This Show explain, even some law enforcement folks are concerned about this unseemly haste.
- Lenovo screwed by the Superfish: a cybersecurity nightmare, Crikey, 20 February 2015.
There were four editions of 5at5 this week, on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and an off-schedule 7at7 on Sunday morning. You might want to subscribe so you receive them all as they’re released. Subscribe. Just subscribe.
- On Friday, I went to NICTA’s Techfest at Australian Technology Park, where I was fed and watered.
- Sunday is the first day of the Tech Leaders Forum, formerly known as Kickstart, at the Fairmont Resort. The event continues on Monday, so I’ll post the full list of largesse next week.
The Week Ahead
Monday is the second and final day of the Tech Leaders Forum, after which I shall collapse and have an early night.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, I’m writing a feature for ZDNet Australia.
On Thursday, I’m heading to Sydney for the next step in my treatment program for sleep apnoea — which I have yet to blog about in any detail — as well as some errands and then, at 1615 AEDT, a television spot on ABC News24.
On Friday, I’ll probably be writing my usual column for ZDNet Australia.
Saturday is unplanned. Place your bids now.
On Sunday, I’ll be producing an episode of The 9pm Edict podcast. Because I am an idiot.
[Photo: Log. Termites had eaten out the core of this tree at Bunjaree Cottages, and it had filled with water — much to the surprise of the chain-saw wielding chap who felled it. A shame I wasn’t there to see it. Photographed on 20 February 2015.]