My week of Monday 17 to Sunday 23 May 2021 was strange and transitional. There;’s a fantastic podcast again, and another episode of The 8pm Quiz, but on Sunday night I lost myself in a live performance that reminded me of so many parts of my past.
Yes, this is slightly late being posted on Sunday evening because I was watching a livestream from Japan featuring the magnificently mad Electronicos Fantasticos. Next week I’ll post a direct link to the performance in question. I am in my happy place. But let’s get this Weekly Wrap out the door…
- The 9pm One Podcast, Two Systems, and a Ladydisease with John Birmingham, recorded on Monday afternoon.
- The 8pm Quiz S02 E04, which was livestreamed on Thursday night. We got our first sweary-troll in the live chat this time, though the disruption was minimal.
Articles, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
None of these things, but I have two articles under way for ZDNet that’ll appear in the coming week.
You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to get a compilation of new stories by email each Sunday morning, when there are some.
If you find these links useful please let me know. They don’t take long to compile, but I’m always looking for ways to save time.
- The Full Story of the Stunning RSA Hack Can Finally Be Told. “In 2011, Chinese spies stole the crown jewels of cybersecurity — stripping protections from firms and government agencies worldwide. Here’s how it happened,” says this Wired story. I spoke with RSA’s executive chairman in 2012 and he said, as my headline put it, Zero damage from last year’s RSA breach.
- Meet the mystery woman who mastered IBM’s 5,400-character Chinese typewriter.
- 60 Powerful Photos Of Japanese American Incarceration Camps That Will Change Your View Of History.
- After the deluge: Australia’s outback springs to life as mighty rivers flow again. Some amazing photos from Mike Bowers.
- And finally, have I posted this yet? The Guardian’s first ever edition – annotated. What was then the Manchester Guardian was first published just over 200 years ago, on 5 May 1821.
The Week Ahead
It’s vaccination time! On Monday I’m heading down to Sydney for a bunch of medical and other things: a haircut, an appointment with my GP, my first COVID-19 vaccination, and routine back maintenance.
I’ll stay in Sydney through to Wednesday afternoon. I’ll be finishing a story for ZDNet, and I have some errands and social things to do, but I’m keeping it relatively easy in case I’m dominated by vaccine side-effects.
On Friday afternoon I’m recording a podcast with cartoonist Cathy Wilcox, which should be posted that night. If you have TRIGGER WORDS or a CONVERSATION TOPIC credit you want to use, I’ll need the details by midday AEST.
- The 9pm Edict with Mark Humphries, recording on 11 June 2021. I’ll need your TRIGGER WORDS or a CONVERSATION TOPICS by 10am AEST.
- The 8pm Quiz S02 E05, 17 June 2021.
- Australian Cyber Conference, Melbourne, 15–17 November 2021 (TBC).