My week of Monday 3 to Sunday 9 January 2022 included very little productivity apart from the Quiz and the Pozible campaign, but that was quite enough for the first full week of a new year. That’s what I say. Anyway, it was another soggy week of La NiÃ±a so I didn’t really go anywhere.
My Pozible crowdfunding campaign The 9pm Summer Series 2022 wrapped up on Thursday night, getting more than 85% of the way to Target Three.
That means there will be six special guest episodes of The 9pm Edict podcast in January and February — that was Target Two. While we didn’t get enough to fund the Public House Forum of Target Three, I’ll do something special with the final episode in the series. Maybe a livestreamed recording session
As you’ll read below, the series begins in the coming week.
- The 8pm Quiz of Everything 2022, which was streamed on Thursday night.
You can subscribe to my YouTube channel for when new videos do appear.
- I’ve updated myÂ Waratah sequence 2021Â for another week. The photos now span 131 days, which is quite remarkable. Not for me, but for the flower,
- My photograph of solar panels at Bunjaree Cottages was used to illustrate the article Up Front in the journal ReNew: Technology for a Sustainable Future.
Articles, Podcasts, Corporate Largesse
None. You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to an email compilation of any new stories each Sunday morning.
- Something serious to begin with. The paper Practical Indicators for Risk of Airborne Transmission in Shared Indoor Environments and Their Application to COVID-19 Outbreaks, and explaining what it all means, a Twitter thread by the lead author (archive). Or pehaps you prefer it in Spanish.
- “People come from all over the world to dive the Limestone Coastâ€™s enchanting sinkholes. It wasnâ€™t that long ago that farmers were threatening to fill them in with rocks,” writes the ABC’s Bec Whetham in this fascinating feature, Underwater world.
- Moxie Marlinspike, the main person behind the Signal communications app, has written an excellent piece on NFTs titled My first impressions of web3.
- From the European Space Agency, Year in images 2021.
- Celebrate some wonderful hoaxes because Obvious Plant is seven years old this week.
- 46 Bacon Recipes to Eat for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
The Week Ahead
It’s that week when we all think “Shall I start doing proper work for the year yet, or can I even be bothered?” I think I know what my answer will be. But I’ll pretend anyway.
On Monday I’m heading down to Penrith, or more accurately Kingswood, for a COVID-19 vaccination booster and some unrelated errands.
From Wednesday lunchtime I’m back in Sydney for another six days of cat-sitting.
On Thursday I’m recording the first episode of The 9pm Edict podcast summer series with special guest Andrew P Street. I’ll post the finished episode on Friday.
From Friday it’s the linux.conf.au 2022 conference, so I may drop in for some sessions.
On Saturday I’m recording a second podcast episode, another conversation with Upulie Divisekera and Dr Trent Yarwood along the lines of The 9pm National Plan to Plan to Have a COVID-19 Plan from August last year but with added alcohol. I’ll post in on the following Monday.
The 9pm Edict is supported by the generosity of its listeners. You can always subscribe for special benefits or throw a few coins into the tip jar. Please consider.
Not much scheduled yet. I expect things will start getting busier after Australia Day, which is the custom.
- Reforming Australia’s electronic surveillance laws, Australian Strategic Policy Institute, 20 January 2022.
- APRICOT 2022 / APNIC 53, 28 February to 3 March 2022.
[Photo: A cardoon (Cynara cardunculus) or artichoke thistle, photographed at Bunjaree Cottages on 9 January 2022.]