February 21st, 2015

I have a busy day tomorrow, so that’s enough from me. Gorn.

New podcast: “Corrupted Nerds Extra: Malcolm Turnbull opens NICTA Techfest”, yesterday’s speech & presser in full. corruptednerds.com/pod/e00002/

Surprise new podcast: “The 9pm Malcolm and the Cnuts” stilgherrian.com/edict/00037/ pic.twitter.com/nvhdQwq327

RT @franksting: Is there anything English cumberbatch hasn’t been in recently‽ [Princess Anne.]

@macmanm @JohnJohnsonson That’s very funny. Do write a letter to everyone you mention in a conversation at the pub?

via TweetDeck in reply to macmanm

JohnJohnsonson How do you confuse Glenn McGrath?

TELL HIM YOUR ELEPHANT’S GOT BREAST CANCER

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:22 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

There’s bits in this Turnbull speech, and especially the doorstop (from 13m 37s) that sound like a job application. corruptednerds.com/pod/e00002/

@GreenJ I disgust myself sometimes. Like just then.

via TweetDeck in reply to GreenJ

RT @GreenJ: Could the PM do Bolt again? Too soon? [Now there’s a image!]

I’m using bits of the speech and the presser in “The 9pm Edict”, but figured some folks might want to mine it for clues.

That podcast is a straight presentation of @TurnbullMalcolm’s @NICTA speech and the doorstop presser thereafter. One for political tragics.

New podcast: “Corrupted Nerds Extra: @TurnbullMalcolm opens @NICTA Techfest” corruptednerds.com/pod/e00002/

@lokkjelokkje Cheaper in the long run, who knows. I stopped covering the NBN cos it’s all feelpinions and political spin. Shits me. :) (2/2)

via TweetDeck in reply to lokkjelokkje

@lokkjelokkje Slower, very much yes. Increased risk of outage, without numbers nothing but a feelpinion. Faster rollout, probably. (1/2)

via TweetDeck in reply to lokkjelokkje

@lokkjelokkje Sure. Like all manner of other bits of the network, powered or not. I find the whole must-be-fibre-or-fail thing very tedious.

via TweetDeck in reply to lokkjelokkje

@lokkjelokkje Yes, I think fibretards who imagine that FttP magically survives a storm are idiots. End users’ _powered_ routers drown too.

via TweetDeck in reply to lokkjelokkje

Crusader Rabbit spends Saturday with military, opening an abattoir. Sunday’s plans include biting the head off an ox with his bare teeth.

MarkDiStef ~optics~ MT @Comd_1st_Bde: Today the Prime Minister had breakfast with ADF members pic.twitter.com/oDVH3iZ6BD

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 3:01 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

CBSEveningNews Wow, what a shot. Ice surrounds on a cold day .@VinitaCBS has more on the record freeze cbsn.ws/18a4g8W pic.twitter.com/KYO0ICWeJR

via SocialFlow (retweeted on 2:48 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

For reasons that I shan’t go into just now, there will be a small episode of “The 9pm Edict” podcast tonight.

whiteswine Has the Prime Minister got that big Dubai fire under control yet?

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 2:25 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

simonhackett Metadata Policy Map: What they say they want vs what they will actually collect. Your $400m at work. pic.twitter.com/3LyZrTkiKN

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 1:56 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

abcconvos Shocking news from @HowToSpeakMoney “baristas were the the new DJs but now, cheese-mongers are the new baristas”

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 1:55 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

I wish to remind you that this week’s Clarke & Dawe explains democracy in the context of the Australian government. youtube.com/watch?v=N-OUz-…

MarkDiStef “In my judgment, no paper more closely corresponds with the true spirit of Australia.” - Tony Abbott on The Australian, 2014

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 1:22 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

jamesmassola The @australian’s editor Clive Mathieson: “The Australian stands fully behind the story”. Yarn by @samanthamaiden dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tony-abbo…

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 1:20 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

edbott Lenovo mid-level managers preparing for Corporate Red Wedding.

via Tweetium for Windows (retweeted on 1:20 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Hmmm. The next time I’m stuck on a late-evening train out of Sydney, I might live-tweet my reading of mX.

Boltcomment_ebx The bolt report is officially the most scurrilous deceptive ALP leftwing media campaign.

via Boltcomment_ebx (retweeted on 12:54 PM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Oh, it works for fish as well.

Going down a very funny image search rabbit hole.

RT @ataraxite: @stilgherrian Like Frost/Nixon, but with peyote? [OH NOW WE ARE TALKING.]

Having watched Abbott’s fantastic work this year, I’ve realised that “The Thick of It”, by comparison, documents perfection in government.

angelapriestley Of all days… RT @Dan_Bourchier: PM Abbott arrives to open new abattoir in Livingstone,NT @SkyNewsAust pic.twitter.com/LNl9tfjPWY

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 11:58 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

norton_tim This may be the most Herald Sun headline ever. pic.twitter.com/eitA94Tssd

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 11:58 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@ataraxite I’d like to do a series of long-form interviews with people I admire.

via TweetDeck in reply to ataraxite

RT @k_morrissey: @stilgherrian resurrect Santamaria’s Points of View. [Yeah, time to cut back on the peyote, Kieran.]

RlCHARDDAWKlNS make u think pic.twitter.com/SxnHYmdJfD

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 11:48 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

webmink Lenovo releases an open source Superfish remover that fixes all issues including Firefox; source on Github support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_…

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 11:48 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

When Kate goes all-caps, you know that we’re in deep shit.

kcarruthers AUSTRALIA YOUR GOVERNMENT IS OFFICIALLY BEYOND PARODY NOW. WE’VE ENTERED UNCHARTED WATERS. HOLD ON FOR THE RIDE. THIS MIGHT BE UNCOMFORTABLE

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 11:47 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Can we give Prof David Flint a TV show? Someone? Please?

Mind you, I’ve filed The Spectator under “Bunch of privileged old white men whinging that things were better with an Empire”.

brownblaze “How can someone be racist if they have friends who are Black?”

The same way serial killers can have friends who are alive.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 11:43 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@NewtonMark Well this comes back to my Modest Proposal. I does seem like he’s doing it. Great work. Hats off. Pants off.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

Jesus, Prof David Flint is clearly getting far better drugs than any of us. spectator.co.uk/australia/aust…

@williamslachlan @kcarruthers Indeed. As the late David Carr said, “Beats working.” I wouldn’t trade this idiocy for anything.

via TweetDeck in reply to williamslachlan

RT @danilic: “Incredlinable!” New catchphrase a around PM&C [OK, you win the internet today, Ilic.]

kcarruthers Seems like Tone’s own goals are adding up RT @jakpost: Abbott’s own tsunami bit.ly/1AZbtDB

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 11:35 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@williamslachlan @kcarruthers Thank you. [Bows.] It is my… indulgence. And people send me money to make more of them. Weird world.

via TweetDeck in reply to williamslachlan

“Warning. There are people among us who pose a serious threat to Australia’s future.” pic.twitter.com/5UebwPVTO5

NewtonMark CORMANN pic.twitter.com/zyzXznNcc2

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 11:32 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

upulie Hey remember when a Knighthood to a Prince was the worst thing we thought he could think of? Good times

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 11:32 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Tim_Beshara Julie. Scott. Malcolm. Whichever one of you is doing this? Keep up the good work. Seriously.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 11:29 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Tuna Dear Tony, have you noticed that uncle Rupert has taken the gloves off.

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 11:29 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@harlyey I shall be doing just that either today or tomorrow.

via TweetDeck in reply to harlyey

@williamslachlan @kcarruthers That’s one of mine. First few minutes of this episode explain. stilgherrian.com/edict/00029/

via TweetDeck in reply to williamslachlan

The phrase “for services rendered” can be quite ambiguous.

@Epigrammist Ah yeah, that’s a bit of an own goal by @abc730.

via TweetDeck in reply to Epigrammist

RT @SnarkyPlatypus: @kcarruthers Will probably end up like the Children’s Crusade. [Why? Are they taking Freedom Boy with them?]

RT @kcarruthers: My guess for Abbott post successful is that he raises a volunteer army & sets off on an IRL crusade against ISIS

@MrStevenRaeburn Yes. A “courageous move”, as Sir Humphrey might say.

via TweetDeck in reply to MrStevenRaeburn

I say, Soapy the Ankle on @abc730 is a remarkable display of critical thinking. Remarkable. abc.net.au/7.30/content/2… [Video/transcript]

PM in damage control mode? You bet you will. dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tony-abbo…

samanthamaiden PM in damage control over claims he wanted to send Aussie troops to fight IS in Iraq dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tony-abbo…

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 11:04 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@Toby_Halligan @JohnBirmingham That would be kinda fun. Though most times they get it right.

via TweetDeck in reply to Toby_Halligan

The very idea of into Iraq means Crusader Rabbit must have zero clue how our global defence alliances even work.

@Toby_Halligan @JohnBirmingham Exactly. PMO would clearly run effectively if Mr Birmingham and I were involved. You know it makes sense.

via TweetDeck in reply to Toby_Halligan

Further proof, @JohnBirmingham, of the endemic chaos in the Prime Minister’s Office. WHY WERE YOU NOT INFORMED OF THE INVASION OF IRAQ?

via TweetDeck in reply to JohnBirmingham

JohnBirmingham I feel personally affronted that broke as a story after I’d written all my jokes. You disappoint me Prime Minister.

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 10:52 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@k_morrissey “Station to Station” is great, yes, but I’m afraid that “Heroes” is my choice for a David Bowie masterwork.

via TweetDeck in reply to k_morrissey

“Superfish doubles down, says HTTPS-busting adware poses no security risk”, writes @dangoodin001. What arsehats. arstechnica.com/security/2015/…

That article on David Bowie’s ‘white witch’ I tweeted earlier suggested I re-listen to “Station to Station”. Yes. youtube.com/watch?v=8ARvX8…

@PacketNetworks @AbstractCode Oh now this is all a very evil suggestion. Thank you. I like evil suggestions.

via TweetDeck in reply to PacketNetworks

@LJPatton Hah! Have you seen the movie “Wag the Dog”?

via TweetDeck in reply to LJPatton

@Rob_Stott Sure. Part of the lecture is showing them all the robot-written news and telling them they’re screwed.

via TweetDeck in reply to Rob_Stott

Ah, excellent. UTS has asked me to frighten their first-year journalism students once again. 9 April. I shall be happy to torture them.

Sat plan: Clear the comms backlog; eat kangaroo; produce a special “The 9pm Edict” podcast; @5at5daily weekend edition; quiet evening.

“Meet the mysterious ‘white witch’ who exorcised David Bowie’s cocaine palace”, reports @DangerMindsBlog dangerousminds.net/comments/myste…

And at the bottom of John Lyons’ piece on Abbott and Credlin: “Monday: Inside the bunker.” So that should be fun.

jrhennessy Also: this is bizarre pic.twitter.com/UFRCG4Cxxk

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 9:23 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @GizmodoAU: Don’t Let Sony Charge You Five Times More For A ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card bit.ly/17k9k9w pic.twitter.com/JnhY7rX4kg [!]

BrigadierSlog Alan Jones should tell us all again how we are picking on Tony.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 9:16 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

glengyron Why don’t we invade Japan? Suddenly: Free subs.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 9:16 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

“Another political observer said.”

RT @jeamland: Tony “Ready, Fire, Aim” Abbott. [No. Tony “Fire, Fire, Aim, Fire, Boats, Labor, Fire” Abbott.]

jeamland The Grand Old Duke of Oz,
He had 3,500 men,
He marched them into the Middle East,
Now what’s the plan again?

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 9:07 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Look, let’s face it, who amongst us hasn’t wanted to unilaterally invade Iraq?

oberonsghost This morning I’ve woken to the news that the PM is under the delusion that he’s Alexander the Great or somesuch. When do we march on India?

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:51 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

vanOnselenP I have thought of various ways the PM might slip up badly enough to be rolled as leader. A unilateral invasion of Iraq wasn’t on my list…

via Echofon (retweeted on 8:51 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Re-plug: This week’s ABC @RNDownload “Exclusive: Police Insider Speaks Out on Mandatory Data Retention” is excellent. abc.net.au/radionational/…

Me at @zdnetaustralia Thursday: “Stop monkeying around with our metadata laws, Prime Minister” zdnet.com/article/stop-m…

I will now retweet yet again the two things on mandatory data retention that I’ve been plugging heavily. More important stuff than Credlin.

@SnarkyPlatypus Just a web search for “Melbourne IT” produces quite a few interesting stories amongst the routine business stuff.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@parisba Well I think it’s important to provide proper background information, don’t you?

via TweetDeck in reply to parisba

edbott Looks legit. pic.twitter.com/v9HrFVt0sB

via Tweetium for Windows (retweeted on 8:33 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

So is there anyone who’s NOT briefing against Credlin?

@newsmary I think I might as the sender to clarify “the guidelines set out by the various search engines”. It might be educational*.

via TweetDeck in reply to newsmary

JenBrockie ”..like a bizarre political death pact” Searing piece by John Lyons on the PM and his chief of staff theaustralian.com.au/news/features/… via @australian

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 8:26 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@newsmary I am giggling to myself. Especially about the ” While we appreciate your support” line.

via TweetDeck in reply to newsmary

Colvinius Uh. “@RollingStone: Arcade Fire’s Will Butler will write songs next week based on various ‘Guardian’ headlines: rol.st/1GcpcHr

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 8:23 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Ah, I didn’t look closely enough. The @melbourneit twitter account looks like it’s a placeholder or a squatter. Meh.

@newsmary That would make sense. It’s s half-arsed process they’ve got, though. Not even an email sig to make it look vaguely legit.

via TweetDeck in reply to newsmary

newsmary @stilgherrian Have had similar requests for Guardian by inept SEO consultants attempting to undo shoddy work of former inept SEO consultants

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 8:14 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

newsmary @stilgherrian I strongly suspect @melbourneit’s been hit by dodgy linkbuilding SEO tactics, & is trying haphazardly to roll them back

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 8:13 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

servantofchaos @stilgherrian those requests generally come from Google finally noticing their black hat SEO practices and warning them

via Hootsuite (retweeted on 8:13 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

So in brief, @melbourneit, go fuck yourselves. I’ll link to what I want, not what your ‘online marketing team’ wants. Arsehats. (4/4)

“PM shuts down satirical website” stilgherrian.com/internet/pm-sh… “Melbourne IT’s (Non)-Response” stilgherrian.com/internet/melbo…’s-non-response/ (3/4)

The real reason is probably ‘cos they’re posts about the time they killed a satirical political website without following due process. (2/4)

Some muppet at @melbourneit wants me to remove links to their website because ‘search engine guidelines’. (1/4) pic.twitter.com/BfnIkumLQH

Sat plan, draft: Clear the comms backlog; eat kangaroo; produce a brief, maybe amusing podcast; @5at5daily weekend edition; quiet evening.

RT @jeamland: @stilgherrian @dangoodin001 pic.twitter.com/s0oSNnbG5Q [Yep, this is Lenovo and Superfish right now.]

Me at @crikey_news Friday: “Lenovo screwed by the Superfish: a cybersecurity nightmare” crikey.com.au/2015/02/20/len… [$, free trial]

dangoodin001 “Despite false & misleading statements made by media commentators and bloggers, the Superfish software does not present a security risk.”

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 7:34 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Oh dear. @dangoodin001 is about to publish a story including an official response from Superfish’s CEO. See the RT I’m about to post.

TheStrangeLog Enemy bodies no longer explode when you hit the body after killing them! You can now chop off individual limbs!

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 7:26 AM, Feb 21st, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Saturday. The damp patch cannot adequately be explained, and should therefore be ignored. Despite the smell. Saturday.