February 26th, 2015

Sorry, @myrcurial, we are boring you with the fine details of the restructuring of Sydney’s rail network.

via Plume for Android

@erkpod @myrcurial Well that’s what I meant. The inner west line has become Homebush - City Loop - Bankstown shuttle or something, yeah?

via Plume for Android in reply to erkpod

@erkpod @myrcurial I’ve seen that you’re just doing suburban runs and lots of the Bankstown loop? Is that still a loop?

via Plume for Android in reply to erkpod

@myrcurial @erkpod At least Australian trains cope with the heat, mostly.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

@ChrissieM I haven’t caught the Shitkansen for ages. Maybe 18 months ago for the DiG Festival in 2013.

via Plume for Android in reply to ChrissieM

WHY THE FUCK ARE WE STOPPING AT LIDCOMBE WHO EVEN ARE THESE PEOPLE.

via Plume for Android

@erkpod @myrcurial This is true. But in the Mountains it’s still those steep grades and tight curves that limit the speed, right?

via Plume for Android in reply to erkpod

@ChrissieM I think we’ve now got six passengers in the lead double deck car.

via Plume for Android in reply to ChrissieM

@myrcurial @erkpod Sure it’s a tourist destination too but the terrain makes the economics impossible.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

@myrcurial @erkpod Indeed. But to modernise the Blue Mountains line would be a billion dollar project to serve maybe 100,000 people.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

@ChrissieM Yeah I know. The 2318 is an 8-car service. Tonight the front four are and the rear four are .

via Plume for Android in reply to ChrissieM

@myrcurial Actually @erkpod is a train driver so he can confirm the ancientness of it all.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

@myrcurial It’s just a long haul on the train, nearly two hours at this time, because the railway is Victorian-era curves and grades.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

@myrcurial Wentworth Falls is beautiful, and that’s where I’m kinda based and spend 2/3 of my time… 100km west of Sydney…

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

Actually, half of the train is a , but the back half, and that’s where the proles accumulate.

via Plume for Android

Yes, the 2318 from Sydney Central gets to Wentworth Falls at 0115. Joy.

via Plume for Android

@erkpod Indeed. This was not how I’d planned the end of the week.

via Plume for Android in reply to erkpod

@myrcurial I actually prefer to hear the world around me. I really don’t like wearing headphones.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

@kcarruthers No, it’s quite clean and fresh. Even the rolling stock gets cleaned occasionally.

via Plume for Android in reply to kcarruthers

@michaelneale The tents have been in Belmore Park for some weeks. There’s a clan that moves in during summer.

via Plume for Android in reply to michaelneale

@erkpod Well, I’m tempted to go grab some noodles and catch the 0018. But my life is already a misery.

via Plume for Android in reply to erkpod

@myrcurial Christ, both are suicide-inducing. I think I’ll leave it to the dull roar of the ancient air conditioning.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

@myrcurial Absolutely. I may have to let things loose on this late-night train.

via Plume for Android in reply to myrcurial

The 2318 Mount Victoria service is ready for departure. pic.twitter.com/bzzrWnxcrl

via Plume for Android

Laughing quite a lot, actually.

via Plume for Android

2125 AEDT. I supposel I should have lunch at some point.

Australia’s future, or something instagram.com/p/zkAV2DCFoN/

via Instagram

Sydney provides excellent accommodation for visitors of every demographic category instagram.com/p/zj_xEtCFnX/

via Instagram

This city which we call Sydney is utterly fucked.

via Plume for Android

Wow. Even if I had the budget to stay in Sydney tonight, which I don’t, there’s virtually nothing under about $800.

Well here we are then.

It’s the biggest and the best instagram.com/p/zj1jm4iFtl/

via Instagram

@rohan_p No, I said people who are really damaged. By the accident, I mean, not just as part of their existence.

via Plume for Android in reply to rohan_p

Seriously, everyone, there’s no skin broken and the worst that we’ll see is a minor bruise in the morning.

via Plume for Android

It’s all good. I’ve been properly run down by a car before. I know the drill.

via Plume for Android

Seriously, people, thanks for your concern. It really is appreciated. But if someone really is damaged they’re not tweeting about it.

via Plume for Android

OMFG I WAS ALMOST KILLED TWEET THE CAR MANUFACTURERS TWITTER HANDLE I AM SO PRECIOUS.

via Plume for Android

Seriously, I was just crossing York St behind a car that had passed and it backed into me. I went down. Freaked driver and passenger heaps.

via Plume for Android

Hahahaha I was just run down by a car. Where’s my social media manager in all this.

via Plume for Android

@SnarkyPlatypus You know the answer to that. You’re just not trying.

via Plume for Android in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

It is the 21st Century and there is still such a thing as Visual Basic. Just think about that for a moment.

via Plume for Android

On a train that will deliver me to Urinal Station and, eventually, my doom.

Gong Cha Fresh Tea, Sydney Central station instagram.com/p/zjqGygCFkc/

via Instagram

I smell Impending rain.

via Plume for Android

@christopherneal I can meet that timetable. I shall see you there.

via TweetDeck in reply to christopherneal

GreenJ meanwhile, in the office of @TurnbullMalcolmpic.twitter.com/83ibDxLRNtNt

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 6:56 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @TheRealHirsty: It was never really off more in standby [Tru dat.]

I am so going to regret this.

@christopherneal It’s the other end of the CBD from Haymarket, but yeah, no other cunt has bothered to say hello to me here. I’ll wander up.

via TweetDeck in reply to christopherneal

It’ll be funny either way, @GreenJ, and don’t deny it.

GreenJ it’ll be funny if it’s actually off.

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 6:52 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

dobes This is a lot of on to consider. RT @MarkDiStef Turnbull told he’s got numbers to take top job - Yahoo!7 au.news.yahoo.com/a/26443370/tur…

via FalconPro3 BETA (retweeted on 6:52 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @yinettesys: @stilgherrian @jonstribling teledildONics [OK, this pretty much wins the entire universe.]

@christopherneal I have no idea what that is, but I shall now consult the internet.]

via TweetDeck in reply to christopherneal

RT @jonstribling: @stilgherrian onanism? [Yeah I did that joke last time. No-one got it.]

RT @Colvinius: @GreenJ On-mishambles (with apologies to The Thick Of It). [This. Is. Very. Special.]

drearyclocks .@stilgherrian studies have shown meals taste better and everyone has better sex when it’s on.

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 6:48 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Colvinius @GreenJ onapalooza

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 6:48 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @GreenJ: very fond of steve earle’s hair. [Don’t tell @scottludlamhair or @SenatorLudlam]

RT @oberonsghost: It might be , but Thursday is also . [Oh. Yeah.]

I AM SO FUCKING LOVING THE AMOUNT OF ON THAT SEEMS TO BE HAPPENING TONIGHT.

Wait, is that drink-with-journalists thing on in Sydney tonight? Should I down a few shots and turn up… where?

NewtonMark Funny way to flush out candidates, but sure, why not? RT @JenBrockie: Interested in leadership? Join us on next week.

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 6:42 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

MarkDiStef I’m hearing that 7:30 has report tonight that will ramp up the “on”… or it could be rubbish gossip.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:41 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

RT @GordyPls: *watches @rupertmurdoch intently* [So, Rupert emits white smoke?]

hughriminton “People are not safer because (we) stopped the boats. They are just..dying somewhere else where they no longer disturb our view”
@KKeneally

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 6:40 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@Thongdam07 This is true, but I am a regular here and I am given enormous leeway.

via TweetDeck in reply to Thongdam07

RT @GreenJ: degree of onosity? [At least a double pike of On happening right now. With a twist. ]

kcarruthers It’s on! pic.twitter.com/vO2Sn00lUz

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:37 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@TomDaveyAus @KatMartindale Well, yes, you don’t need me to point out your error.

via TweetDeck in reply to TomDaveyAus

@firstdogonmoon @jonkudelka Apparently this tweet explains the on-ness of the current state of on. twitter.com/bevanshields85…

via TweetDeck in reply to firstdogonmoon

CombatJourno Afghans in Kandahar celebrating first victory in the World Cup pic.twitter.com/lxsaSHJiGs | Pic @matinsarfraz.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 6:30 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@BonzerGreen Ah! That must ruin the real-time nature of watching the river. But watching the river is a minority interest.

via TweetDeck in reply to BonzerGreen

@kcarruthers @CaseyBriggs Does it feel to you that it’s more on than the last time it was on?

via TweetDeck in reply to kcarruthers

So now my decision is about how ruinous an evening to have before the inevitable depressing train journey.

Nevertheless, apparently there is quite a bit of On on.

Didn’t we do all this less than three weeks ago?

domknight On?! On?! How on?!

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 6:22 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

CaseyBriggs ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON

is it on?

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 6:22 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@ericscheid Well yes. NSW’s attitude to intercity trains is depressingly puritan.

via TweetDeck in reply to ericscheid

@vealmince Sadly, Yiddish is not something I know, apart from random words.

via TweetDeck in reply to vealmince

That’s quite a lot of on.

Apparently @Riley7News is reporting backbenchers visited Turnbull and told him he now has the numbers but ministers have to bring it on.

@NewtonMark @chrisbrownie I’ll let you know if it comes to that. Me in a tent near an airport is likely to raise flags in databases.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

chrisberg doesn’t feel that on really, not feeling it yet

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 6:11 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Oh. I’m not seeing the tweets tagged aus#pol, but apparently it’s on.

bevanshields85 .@Riley7News reporting backbenchers have visited Turnbull and told him he now has the numbers but ministers have to bring it on

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:10 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@NewtonMark @chrisbrownie Hah. Indeed. Well I might use some loyalty points at Wollongong accommodation the night before. I haven’t planned.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

@NewtonMark @chrisbrownie I suppose watching them bring a B-747 into that paddock is the whole point, right?

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

@NewtonMark @chrisbrownie I shall. You plan to arrive there for the B-747’s landing, or at a civilised hour?

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

RT @OaaSvc: [Checks watch. Already?]

@NewtonMark @chrisbrownie Well I might see you there. Depending on the ten thousand factors. I shall be flying the 1435mm ground-hugger.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

@NewtonMark I’d been thinking of heading down to Albion Park one open day. Maybe this is the one.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

@nehadk Anyway, isn’t it basic good manners to get this shit right? (Yes, I know, the world is full of arseholes…)

via TweetDeck in reply to nehadk

@ramez @saladinahmed @thegrugq I heard this being reported on the radio earlier today, and broke up in uncontrollable laughter.

via TweetDeck in reply to ramez

ramez These sound like incredibly dangerous terrorists the FBI just busted. bit.ly/1zJITBL via @saladinahmed pic.twitter.com/pDv6NcE9iD

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 5:52 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@jturner_ibrs Well, I’m in Haymarket right now, so I’ll deal with that mess later.

via TweetDeck in reply to jturner_ibrs

@nehadk Is it bad if I say that as a former South Australian, I should know this stuff from our transport history? ;)

via TweetDeck in reply to nehadk

@bob_bain @ABCNews24 Ah cheers. it is something you can upload somewhere? Dropbox or whatever?

via TweetDeck in reply to bob_bain

@nehadk I am embarrassed to say that you are 100%. Even Wikipedia says what I said is “viewed as improper”. Sorry. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghani

via TweetDeck in reply to nehadk

17 Mar VA834 SYD-MEL; 22 Mar VA833 MEL-SYD.

I have just seen a dreadful mistake in an early tweet, and am now embarrassed.

I’ll put money on my column having been gazumped by the Afghani cricket team.

@BundyB Well obviously. Do try to keep up, @PointZeroOne.

via TweetDeck in reply to BundyB

RT @ABCemergency: Severe thunderstorm warning …
abc.net.au/news/emergency… pic.twitter.com/ucGrAqfTeG [Oh. I have to head back into that later.]

OH: “You should listen to Maroon 6, they’re much better.”

@maldamkar Surely not. If I move, I will be moving forward, not backwards.

via TweetDeck in reply to maldamkar

Overhearing a guy explaining that the Thai authorities recorded his surname, Whittaker, on his marriage certificate as “Whitetiger”. Cute.

@jonoabroad It’s some part or other of the process of growing old disgracefully.

via TweetDeck in reply to jonoabroad

RT @ericscheid: zomg. dev agency asserts only gov.au sites are required to be accessible. [Kill them.]

Coming up on 13 May is the 20th anniversary of my arrival to live in Sydney. Maybe I should celebrate in some way. Perhaps by leaving.

RT @PointZeroOne: @stilgherrian it never does with you [I think I resigned myself to that fact a couple decades back.]

In an ideal world, I’d have caught that 1721 train rather than ordering another beer. Prediction: This will not end well.

yolocrypto should I write my own crypto library?

[x] yes
[x] fuck yes

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 5:25 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Yes, @AlboMP’s media statement on the retirement of Max Moore-Wilton retiring is rather good. Nicely played. pic.twitter.com/dnETg8Ul5Q

Beer Singha krub.

@bbotezatu @Bitdefender Oh! You’re leaving today? I should have organised your kangaroo earlier. I didn’t manage to organise today. Sad.

via TweetDeck in reply to bbotezatu

@bascule @HeartlandInst I just saw this. Good thinking. Will read in more detail tonight.

via TweetDeck in reply to bascule

ZaidJilani What if Obama is banksy

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 5:02 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

5at5 number 149: Early photography, a mid-century spy, a libertarian experiment, a slogan quiz, and a TV expert. tinyletter.com/5at5/letters/5…

“Where was I?” “You were talking about metadata.” “Good Lord. No, I doubt that, Brian…” [Smirk.]

In which Clarke & Dawe cover that amusing sitcom, Soapy and the Senate. youtube.com/watch?v=Q_BnZK…

@SusaninRaraLand Thank you. They let just anyone onto TV these days.

via TweetDeck in reply to SusaninRaraLand

jturner_ibrs Vendor briefing earlier today. Well I thought it was meant to be a briefing. They thought it was a game of buzzword bingo. They won.

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 4:41 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Not quite in the corner.

And the @ABCNews24 TV spot is done. Now, to a nearby hostelry to finish @5at5daily.

via Plume for Android

Lashing out on some ABC green room room-temperature water instagram.com/p/zjVc1XCFiw/

via Instagram

@BonzerGreen @amworldtodaypm Ah, you read SO much into a momentary observation… that I made eight hours ago.

via Plume for Android in reply to BonzerGreen

@ChookBaron @ABCNews24 For a few minutes between 1615 and 1630 AEDT, exact time depending on program flow.

via Plume for Android in reply to ChookBaron

Hey does someone have the necessary technology to record my bit off @ABCNews24? It’s a PITA for them to do it. Weirdly.

@dobes I thought that was my job.

via TweetDeck in reply to dobes

@jonoabroad You just inspired me. But the inspiration is likely to be edited out.

via TweetDeck in reply to jonoabroad

Column filed for @zdnetaustralia. Time, soon, to head to the ABC at Ultimo and @ABCNews24 for the spot at 1615 AEDT.

Excellent. It would appear that my computer’s approaching-deadline detector has just been triggered. Bonus.

via Plume for Android

BernardKeane Albo’s entire media release on the retirement of Max Moore-Wilton pic.twitter.com/FxlBU5Gogi

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 2:59 PM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Arriving at Sydney Central station instagram.com/p/zjIXx4CFir/

via Instagram

@moylecroft Thanks. I’ll re-read before doing the TV spot later this afternoon.

via TweetDeck in reply to moylecroft

Writing. Shoosh.

New blog post: “Talking Gemalto’s response to ‘hack’ on ABC @amworldtodaypm”, 4 mins report including me. stilgherrian.com/conversations/…

newscientist A prominent climate change sceptic had undeclared funding from fossil-fuel companies ow.ly/JENmS pic.twitter.com/CQHn3Yzpl8

via Hootsuite (retweeted on 11:37 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

franksting Has anyone checked on the Spider?

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 11:32 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@jeremyscahill Thanks. Sadly my comment about magical cyber unicorns didn’t make the cut, but my TV spot later today will be live.

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

edbott Attention spans, ranked, longest to shortest:

1. Dog
2. Fruit fly
3. Tech journalist

via Tweetium for Windows (retweeted on 10:46 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Lenovo.com has been hacked, possibly by Lizard Squad”, reports @verge theverge.com/2015/2/25/8110…

Visitors to lenovo.com “saw a slideshow of disaffected youths, set to the song ‘Breaking Free’ from High School Musical.”

@jeremyscahill The transcript is there now too, so it makes it easier than listening. :)

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

The Internet of Onion-Oranges.

“SIM maker Gemalto responds to claims it was hacked by US, UK spies” reports @amworldtodaypm abc.net.au/am/content/201… Warning: includes me.

@jeremyscahill Indeed. I called for an external review on ABC Radio here in Australia earlier this morning. abc.net.au/am/content/201…

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

@jeremyscahill I’ve come to like the orange-onion network though. We need more vegetable analogies in the news generally.

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

@jeremyscahill Certainly six days isn’t enough for the forensics. Unless that was done in the past and they just had to re-find the reports.

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

@jeremyscahill I agree that they sound somewhat clueless, but that’s just our feelpinions without actual evidence.

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

@jeremyscahil Indeed, they’re saying no keys exfiltrated. And a PowerPoint slide deck says some were. Both are unverified claims, I’d say.

@smartbrain I still have “magical cyber unicorns” written down for use on TV later today. Also, do you ever sleep?

via TweetDeck in reply to smartbrain

@jeremyscahill This isn’t to detract from the observation that they need to protect their share price and other arsehattery in the response.

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

@jeremyscahill Gemalto said they did detect the attacks in 2010 and 2011. Is it reasonable to say they “didn’t know it for 5 years”?

via TweetDeck in reply to jeremyscahill

jeremyscahill tl;dr Gemalto: Yes we got hacked. Yes we didn’t know it for 5 years. But, hey, we want our stock prices to go back up interc.pt/18lTWuy

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 10:26 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Goodness me, the mainstream media (MSM) is very interested in Gemalto today.

@JanJoostBouwman Well that’s a correct parroting of Gemalto’s press statement. People who know how 3G/4G work seem to have different views.

via TweetDeck in reply to JanJoostBouwman

rhysam Emoji: A small utopian island nation invented by Aldous Huxley

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 9:40 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

expectproblems Uhm, sorry. I only frequent cafes with standing desks and lattes that come in re-purposed soup cans from 1976.

via Tweetbot for Mac (retweeted on 9:30 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@alexkidman BUT WHAT IF I DON’T GET THE SAME TRAIN AGAIN NEXT TIME HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF THAT HAVE YOU HAVE YOU HAVE YOU.

via TweetDeck in reply to alexkidman

Does anyone want this Bitdefender-branded Gecko dashboard pad? I don’t drive or have a car. pic.twitter.com/tvoWHNAtUf

Peering through the upper, cobweb-ridden window… instagram.com/p/zikp2MiFs3/

via Instagram

HeartlandInst Get your Ayn Rand T-shirt today! High quality, low price: $12.99. bit.ly/RandTshirt pic.twitter.com/TjeqjvR2bG

via SocialOomph (retweeted on 8:57 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

andrewkageleiry View over snowy Boston this morning @BostonTweet @BostonGlobe pic.twitter.com/1s3B9o3exf

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:47 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

kcarruthers@RyanNewYork: i hadn’t even considered this pic.twitter.com/KYg976OePg” <makeuthink

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:45 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Here’s @amworldtodaypm’s interview with Foreign Minister Julie Bishop. abc.net.au/am/content/201…

@marcuskelson @paulkidd Look, I’ve already worn the rabbit thing on TV.

via TweetDeck in reply to marcuskelson

RT @edbott: Oh, hello Lizard Squad, I see you have met Lenovo: theverge.com/2015/2/25/8110… [Oh now what. Oh. I see. Start laughing now.]

@paulkidd @SnarkyPlatypus @ABCNews24 Jesus! What even is this? (And what is it wearing?)

via TweetDeck in reply to paulkidd

Oh now there’s someone on @amworldtodaypm saying we shouldn’t be allowed to Tazer children. Bah.

@paulkidd @SnarkyPlatypus @ABCNews24 I know that. Also, I think I will actually wear a shirt for the television.

via TweetDeck in reply to paulkidd

Thu plan: Write for @zdnetaustralia; 1224 train to Sydney; haircut; 1615 @ABCNews24; @5at5daily; radio spot (?); return to Wentworth Falls.

@LouiseVMaher Bishop was on first. I assume it was Milne after that. I was distracted at a critical time.

via TweetDeck in reply to LouiseVMaher

Ah, it’s always good to “call for” something in the national media.

@SnarkyPlatypus @paulkidd Maybe I should wear a tank top on @ABCNews24 this afternoon. Actually, maybe not.

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

@oberonsghost It’s wonderful, isn’t it. Gloriously shouty.

via TweetDeck in reply to oberonsghost

“Silk Road might have started as a libertarian experiment, but it was doomed to end as a fiefdom run by pirate kings” aeon.co/magazine/techn…

I say, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop is sounding good on @amworldtodaypm right now. Strong, confident, yet diplomatic.

RT @R_Chirgwin: “Develop scalable algorithms based on emerging models”! [You wash out your mouth, mate.]

“Fatal attraction” as the first words of a story about people being killed in Syria, @abcnews @702sydney? Tasteless, much?

“OS X and iOS Vulnerabilities Top Security Vulnerability Chart, Far Ahead of Windows”, writes @gcluley intego.com/mac-security-b…

“Clinton is looking for a middle ground on encryption that experts say doesn’t exist”, writes @kansasalps washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-swit…

“AVG Study Reveals Top 10 Apps That Ruin Your Smartphone’s Mojo” now.avg.com/top-10-apps-th…

@702sydney @robbie_buck Here’s the full story behind the Van Halen brown M&Ms story. snopes.com/music/artists/…

@vealmince Well here’s Gemalto’s statement. Make of it what you will. gemalto.com/press/Pages/Ge…

via TweetDeck in reply to vealmince

For those of you who missed Senator Ian Macdonald’s excellent* press release last night..media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/upl…WW (PDF)

I just recorded a few soundbites about Gemalto for @amworldtodaypm. I may have said “magic sparkly unicorns”.

@R_Chirgwin Especially given that we’ve all got scans of the thing now.

via TweetDeck in reply to R_Chirgwin

Actually, I’m a bit concerned that I got 13 out of 14 on that quiz. The one I blew was: “Let us live not merely for today but for tomorrow!”

“Quiz: North Korean Slogan or TED Talk Sound Bite?” motherjones.com/media/2015/02/… I got 13/14. HT @joelgibson, who got 8/14. pic.twitter.com/hBTtWoyFpp

@jeamland @smartbrain I am SO going to say cyber-unicorns on @ABCNews24 this afternoon.

via TweetDeck in reply to jeamland

Oh it has to be better than that, @smartbrain. It must be ultra-mega super-magical. With extra unicorns.

via TweetDeck in reply to smartbrain

smartbrain @stilgherrian My takeaway from Gemalto was that their 3G SIMs has a super-magical encryption algorithm that survives key theft.

via Twitter Web Client (retweeted on 6:38 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

@JonoH Indeed. It’s a… remarkable series of statements by Gemalto.

via TweetDeck in reply to JonoH

Dear @NickInfoSec, whoever you are, please don’t encourage @gattaca. For our children’s sake, and our children’s children.

@gattaca Yeah, like who’d trust you with a forklift? Very speechless.

via TweetDeck in reply to gattaca

@mgherman Hardly. We’ve made many assumptions just to get this far into the day. Did you test the water before you made coffee?

via TweetDeck in reply to mgherman

@B_Meson I pity general-roungds journalists. Covering a political crisis one day, a car crash the next, a tech story, a toxic spill… etc.

via TweetDeck in reply to B_Meson

Stupid assumption.

Those quotes were from @jeremyscahill’s article. firstlook.org/theintercept/2… I do assume you’re capable of scrolling back for context, though.

@jeremyscahill Here in Australia, @SenatorLudlam has also been asking questions related to Gemalto. scott-ludlam.greensmps.org.au/content/video/…

“A true forensic investigation in such a complex environment is not possible in this time frame.” —@cryptoronn

“This is an investigation that seems mainly designed to produce positive statements. It is not an investigation at all.” —@matthew_d_greenn

Oh. I forgot to tag all those tweets . Meh.

@B_Meson Well, “not all journalists”, as the saying goes. You’re talking to one right now.

via TweetDeck in reply to B_Meson

“Gemalto doesn’t know what it doesn’t know”, writes @jeremyscahill firstlook.org/theintercept/2…

@B_Meson Just looking at that now. I’ve been frustrated by The Intercept before: they seem to start from a “hit spooks with a stick” view.

via TweetDeck in reply to B_Meson

@B_Meson A general-rounds journalist wouldn’t know where to even start on a topic like this. They can only do he-said she-said reportage.

via TweetDeck in reply to B_Meson

saladinahmed NYT openly trolling everyone at this point. ht @HelenKennedy mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/25/nyr… pic.twitter.com/bCzEf1jTAA

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 6:03 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

“China drops leading tech brands for state purchases”, reports @Reuters: Cisco, Apple, McAfee, Citrix. reuters.com/article/2015/0…

That said, @B_Meson, I’m now looking for either a video of the Gemalto press conference, or a critical report with counter-views.

The @WSJ says “company executives asserted” that 3G/4G networks won’t be affected, for instance, @B_Meson. Most mastheads aren’t to precise.

RT @B_Meson: @stilgherrian but still reported them in WSJ [Sure, but with appropriate labelling of what was assertion and what was fact.]

“Gemalto did acknowledge Wednesday that not all operators pay for or use the most up-to-date security features,” reports @WSJ.

“The Wall Street Journal didn’t immediately verify Gemalto’s claims,” and, well, how could they?

“On Wednesday, China weighed in, saying it was concerned about the reported hack. Gemalto provides SIM cards for China Mobile Ltd.”

“Gemalto Says Alleged Hack Didn’t Result in Massive Theft of SIM Keys”, reports @WSJ wsj.com/articles/gemal…

Someone added a nice set of “spooks pwn all our stuff” links to the post of my @1395FIVEaa radio spot on Gemalto. stilgherrian.com/conversations/…

pourmecoffee Today In Parliament Brawls

Hong Kong (Tyrone Siu/Reuters) pic.twitter.com/0TzxB2rHgp

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 5:40 AM, Feb 26th, 2015 via TweetDeck)

Thu plan, draft: Write for @zdnetaustralia; 1224 train to Sydney; haircut; 1615 @ABCNews24; @5at5daily; return to Wentworth Falls.

RT @0x1C: @stilgherrian did you say spacedicks? [If I didn’t, I now wish I had.]

Thursday. It is our intention to begin the experiments immediately. Your next of kin will be notified in due course. Thursday.