February 16th, 2020

Right. I’m outta here. Partly because it’s after 11pm. Partly because I’ve run out of whisky and I’d have to go dow..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…UT

@wasbooping I understand. I don’t shoot the messenger.

via TweetDeck in reply to wasbooping

@Pollytics Yep. And here we are. It’s Elton John’s fault, obviously.

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@SteveMolk And I don’t even have my good pants on!

via TweetDeck in reply to SteveMolk

@Pollytics I always think, “Haven’t we all been here before and we already know this is shit?”

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@missayme I thought that would be the case. Thank you.

via TweetDeck in reply to missayme

@antifatwa Oh that old thing. Hey we have Nazis, so promoting eugenics seems appropriate.

via TweetDeck in reply to antifatwa

@petstarr Sounds about right. I am fine with this.

via TweetDeck in reply to petstarr

As an aside, why is Dawkins in the zeitgeist tonight? Or do I not want to know?

@staticsan I haven’t seen it. As I said earlier, I didn’t even know it was happening.

via TweetDeck in reply to staticsan

@petstarr Sorry that you seem to have brain worms.

via TweetDeck in reply to petstarr

@Davelennonabc True. But thank the gods that Sandi Toksvig does it now.

via TweetDeck in reply to Davelennonabc

@Pollytics So, if I can extrapolate from that, we should just kill everyone?

via TweetDeck in reply to Pollytics

@Davelennonabc Don’t tweet that cunt at me. Please.

via TweetDeck in reply to Davelennonabc

The faces I see in most of Australia’s media are not the faces I see in the Australia around me. That needs to chan..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…mB

Anyway, I haven’t read the op-ed that most of the respondents said was bad because quite frankly the world has enou..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Fy

Like when someone says “Mate, what you just said was racist” the reaction shouldn’t be “Oh no calling me racist is..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…St

Sometimes when we say something the reaction shouldn’t be “I don’t like you saying that you are bad” but “What you..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…TF

Can I just say this? Sometimes when people react to a meme (broadest sense) with “Oh I am offended by that!” I thin..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…iV

@TheNehad She wrote the op-ed. I haven’t read it. I haven’t read her responses.

via TweetDeck in reply to TheNehad

@miranda_maybe @SnarkyPlatypus I understand your point, but I can’t help but feel people are over-thinking it the w..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…XU

via TweetDeck in reply to miranda_maybe

@JakeSturmer @yumi_asada Which is good, because there must’ve been the argument that it wasn’t relevant. :)

via TweetDeck in reply to JakeSturmer

I misjudged the timing, but yeah here are the final results. I find this very curious, but I won’t add my comments..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…cV

idiotandroid Supervirus? Keep calm and post smut. twitter.com/higurashirin/s…

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 10:02 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@Bredgens @SuperCroup I heard about that. You can’t even do a proper assessment in that time.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to Bredgens

@SuperCroup Yeah maybe. Most of my followers are kinda suitably odd, but yes I do get some of the loops as well. At..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…wd

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SuperCroup

SuperCroup BUT YOU KNOW YOU GET TEN FREE THERAPY SESSIONS A YEAR ON MEDICARE RIGHT? YOU DON’T NEED TO USE YOUR OK CUPID PROFILE FOR THIS PURPOSE.

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 9:54 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

jamesmassola Indonesian health minister Terawan Agus Putranto says the fact the country doesn’t have the i..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…pk

via Echofon (retweeted on 9:51 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Please don’t retweet Dawkins. He’s a bit of a cunt.

Curious note about “popular culture” and media: I have only just this moment learned that there was some sort of te..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…mj

doctor_oxford Your daily reminder that:

🔹40 ‘new’ hospitals are, in fact, upgrades of 6 existing hospitals
🔹50k ‘more’ nurses in..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2f

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 9:47 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

_doublearrow In ‘British Rail Designed 1948-97’ by David Lawrence (lovely book btw), there is a sketched recollection or two by..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…i1

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 9:45 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

samanthamaiden American dude on the Coronavirus cruise live tweeting the menu and refusing to get off with the rest of the yanks b..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…jR

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 9:44 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@CosmicRami @drspacejunk Nope, flying back on the evening of the 25th.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to CosmicRami

An hour and a bit to go in this poll. I continue to be intrigued. twitter.com/stilgherrian/s…

via Twitter for iPhone in reply to stilgherrian

@jasminchill It immediately became part of the infrastructure. Sure, it’s slow along George Street, but it’s replaced walking for me.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jasminchill

Because reasons I have just recommended Banchō to someone. I recommend it to you too. banchobar.com.au One o..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…u2

During this coming week I’ll think about who else I can record a chat while I’m in Melbourne.

stilgherrian Key additional point: The week after that I’m recording a podcast with @FionaPattenMLC, which should be fun. That w..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7r

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 9:31 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

stilgherrian NEW BLOG POST: “Weekly Wrap 507: After the rains the clean-up, and cuttlefish soldiers” stilgherrian.com/weekly-wrap/50… Cov..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…rF

via TweetDeck (retweeted on 9:31 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@constantchange1 I’ve never been to the UK so all my impressions are stereotypes. :)

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to constantchange1

@oz_f To be fair, your main crime there was reading Good Weekend without buying a BMW first.

via TweetDeck in reply to oz_f

@SteveMolk The question? Or the answer? I mean Eddie McGuire is basically a slot machine in a suit, except more racist.

via TweetDeck in reply to SteveMolk

Why is it even on television at all? That’s the real question. twitter.com/SteveMolk/stat…

@eddit0r That’s a shame. I’ll ask some comedy nerds during the week and see what turns up.

via TweetDeck in reply to eddit0r

@eddit0r I don’t know that one, sorry.

via TweetDeck in reply to eddit0r

@NewtonMark @RealNickHodge Angela is on the way out. One last hurrah before she goes, eh?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to NewtonMark

@Davelennonabc Oh I’m past that, but I’m not sure I’m there yet.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to Davelennonabc

@jpwarren So are you being even more of a prick than I am?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to jpwarren

@JakeSturmer @oldscarab Thanks, Jake. I’m looking forward to hearing their stories once they’re on land.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to JakeSturmer

Sure, but who the fuck wants to go to Birmingham? twitter.com/HS2ltd/status/…

Exactly. “Accept some state regulation” can mean “follow building codes” and “obey traffic lights”. It’s meaningles..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Fr

NewtonMark This doesn’t mean anything. It’s like the Australian government saying they accept climate change but fomenting a f..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Mr

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 8:35 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@oldscarab I haven’t checked back to @JakeSturmer’s latest, but my understanding was that passengers were allowed 9..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…LD

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to oldscarab

@oldscarab Nah, it’s a forever thing. Look up “recency illusion”.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to oldscarab

@oberonsghost I’m going the same! (But I have a 12yo single malt to enjoy while it’s happening.)

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to oberonsghost

I am somewhat shocked to realise I’ve been griping about the nature of the ABC since I first started working for th..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…kV

@JakeSturmer Sorry, I shouldn’t be having a whinge when you’re in the middle of it. As you were.

@joelwerner Not controversial. Just… well I’ve said it all in the other thread.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to joelwerner

@JakeSturmer I dunno. The whole “Australian perspective” thing is fraught and I’ve been grappling with it for decad..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…uv

@JakeSturmer On a mechanical note, and maybe this is me being defensive now, but it wasn’t a thread, there was no l..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…ea

@JakeSturmer All received. So, my reaction was to that single tweet, yes, but that’s what I saw joining the stream…twitter.com/i/web/status/1…vI

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to JakeSturmer

Winning friends and influencing people.

@joelwerner Yes, it stands for “parochial” if I remember correctly. My God people are defensive about this.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to joelwerner

@JakeSturmer And I’m sure you and the whole team have been flat out, thanks, cheers. I know what’s involved and tha..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…iy

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to JakeSturmer

@JakeSturmer Anyway, thank you for labelling my experience of the story as “ridiculous”. I will remember my place in future.

@JakeSturmer And yet the first sentence is that the Australian number is up, with 100 more as the second sentence…twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4h

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to JakeSturmer

The important thing about an epidemic is to count the Australians separately, because the audience can’t relate to..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…eU

From earlier, the tram they said no one would want to use. pic.twitter.com/MKoaw7spm4

@firstdogonmoon I’ll be on my best behaviour, Mr Onthemoon.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to firstdogonmoon

smh Comment: Coronavirus may yet become a pandemic, but in Australia it has killed no one and no sufferer has infected..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6D

via Echobox Social (retweeted on 7:21 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

danilic The funny thing about hindsight — it turns out Andrew Bolt was wrong.pic.twitter.com/n71M6Rkmpvv

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 7:08 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

@jeamland Choose the fourth from the left, second shelf.

via TweetDeck in reply to jeamland

@johnmcternan Well, yes. I did have quite a big lunch. There will be food. But then there will be whisky. Maybe.

via TweetDeck in reply to johnmcternan

Sun plan, remainder: Laundry; whisky; food, potentially.

via Twitter Web App in reply to stilgherrian

botandy I am watching Norwegian pop sensation Aha, and having thoughts about mortality

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 6:57 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

SuperCroup All the information FACEBOOK has about me from all of their data collection companies and they come up with this? pic.twitter.com/6vARE6orHL

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 6:56 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

@jonnosan @R_Chirgwin Interesting. I don’t have enough local experience to tell.

via TweetDeck in reply to jonnosan

@NewtonMark This seems like a sensible plan.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

@NewtonMark Soon, Mark. I need to recharge my phone first.

via TweetDeck in reply to NewtonMark

@jonnosan Indeed. It’s still amazing how quickly the shoots come back with a bit of rain. @R_Chirgwin did a walk ye..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…I4

via TweetDeck in reply to jonnosan

@Wyld @SnarkyPlatypus Short version: If a dog barks at me I will back back. And there was a guy at Central with hi..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…es

via TweetDeck in reply to Wyld

@dobes @purserj But yes, the White Cockatoo is much better since they changed the branding back. Except their wine is seriously overpriced.

This photos in this thread are beautiful. Alas, there will be people* who’ll say “See? Things grow back after a bus..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…jY

And that’s lunch finished. At 6.30pm. Excellent.

stilgherrian POLL: So that “Karen” op-ed. Is it…? (Please RT.)

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 6:33 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

@dobes @purserj Again, I think that’s a significant historical print.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to dobes

Barking. @SnarkyPlatypus can tell the rest of the story.

@dobes @purserj That’s a long way from Rozelle.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to dobes

@dobes @purserj Oh yeah that’s a classic print. Where is this?

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to dobes

@imann04 I don’t have an opinion. That’s the entire point of my asking.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to imann04

conor_tripler found a cool guy pic.twitter.com/cWJsBZkTyp

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 1:07 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Very pleased to see @JamarzOnMarz’s story on the line. You should check out his music. huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/proud-ou…

@Isayneversaydie As I would imagine. But I only buy for me, and it’s a long way from anywhere I stay. Maybe for som..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…sb

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to Isayneversaydie

Officially in Sydney until Monday afternoon. Watching a man with a child and a selfie stick at a tram stop.

Pinboard Although by that analogy we currently live in a carob hellscape

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 12:04 PM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Pinboard I approach U.S. politics like a kid approaches one of those chocolate bars with 99% cocoa. It’s bitter as hell but..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…0D

I’m sure Donald Trump will be voted out of office if the right kind of Americans whine often enough.

I’m intrigued by the few who thought it spot on, and why they differ from what is appearing to be a solid majority…twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6Z

Scaachi a man at the dumb lunch place just stormed in and yelled, “WHY ARE WE LISTENING TO ARAB MUSIC. WHY ARE WE LISTENING..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4H

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 11:33 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

I’ve never been to the Flemington Markets in Sydney.

sdssben A Chinese flight attendant asking for menu choice without speaking to minimize transfer of saliva.

So cute im ded..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…DM

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 11:25 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@oberonsghost @SnarkyPlatypus Every now and then I wish I had a solid camera again.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to oberonsghost

beneltham Customers who don’t want to pay what good food is worth = bad.

Chefs who don’t want to pay what workers are worth..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…uM

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 11:20 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

Initial results seem indicative, as do my replies, but maybe spreading this wider will shift things. We’ll see. pic.twitter.com/P0zjGhQ0j7

@SnarkyPlatypus Well, yes. Btw I haven’t read the thing yet. This is my recommendation engine at work.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

SuperCroup That is perhaps the weirdest phrasing I’ve ever seen. pic.twitter.com/CYYdyOO6yf

via Twitter for Android (retweeted on 11:08 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

@SnarkyPlatypus Yep, a mackerel sky. The clouds have been impressive all the way down.

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

Note that if you haven’t read it there’s no need to say you haven’t read it. No one cares, Petal.

POLL: So that “Karen” op-ed. Is it…? (Please RT.)

via Twitter for iPhone

Crossing the Nepean. I haven’t done one of these in ages. pic.twitter.com/RwcL4LEfge

erstkate It’s like the idea of white women crying. I disagree that the tears are used consciously to silence women of colour..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…k5

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 10:50 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

erstkate Obviously not all middle-aged women are “Karens”. Not all women named Karen are “Karens”. I bloody hope I am not a..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Pb

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 10:50 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

erstkate “Karen” is the next tier down. She has less power than men (mostly but not exclusively white) in the structure, but..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…PU

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 10:50 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

joshgnosis Karen isn’t challenging authority by asking to speak to a manager. She’s appealing to it over the top of someone sh..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…mK

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 10:50 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

NewtonMark Fucking arsonists throwing all these boulders around. twitter.com/LiveTrafficNSW…

via Tweetbot for iΟS (retweeted on 10:49 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

MurrayWatt The old “Qld Nationals I’ll cross the floor” threat. Never happens. Full of it. twitter.com/kieran_gilbert…

via Twitter for iPad (retweeted on 10:48 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

@PollHereford Quite a few of the Blue Mountains stations are on tight curves so this is not uncommon.

via TweetDeck in reply to PollHereford

EmmaVigeland Is this just an elaborate conspiracy to get Trump re-elected? twitter.com/nypost/status/…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 10:38 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

Next up, printing fingerprints on fake latex fingers so you can open your TouchID devices without taking your glove..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…rx

cameronwilson this is very “bland dystopia” but also a reminder Face ID isn’t very secure!! twitter.com/kristyt/status…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 10:35 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

Arriving at the station. The train hasn’t arrived yet. We will do it!

Actually the bus is running very early and the 1023 train is running late. This might be possible after all.

West of Faulconbridge an old bloke with a big grey beard at the side of the highway is waving an Australian flag at..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…nV

@staticsan They could do the turnarounds at Lawson but there’s nowhere near enough stabling, no crew rest facilitie..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…UW

via Tweetbot for iΟS in reply to staticsan

Running ahead of schedule. Traffic on the Great Western Highway is light. Indeed, at Woodford we’ve caught up with..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…0o

The future isn’t “Nineteen Eighty-Four” it’s “Brazil”. twitter.com/juhasaarinen/s…

It seems this bus, sorry coach, normally takes Chinese tourists groups. Not much need for that at the moment. pic.twitter.com/SOuK0u1QZY

As, after I’d eaten a nice fresh pie, did the not bus. There’s about eight other passengers at the mom..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…88

The journey to Sydney begins. There’s a taxi on the way, allegedly. pic.twitter.com/GIUf108Q4h

I will say, though, this isn’t the most stoned dog I’ve seen. twitter.com/carmenmmachado…

carmenmmachado I’m not saying who, but someone in this photo ate a weed gummy and scared the bejeesus out of her moms and had to g..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…SI

via Twitter Web App (retweeted on 9:29 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via Tweetbot for iΟS)

There’s a lot more about the rail problems and fixes in this @7NewsSydney video of the full press conference on Tue..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6o

@SnarkyPlatypus I know, the Lunching NIMBYs of Double Bay On Hill will be shrieking about the destruction of the Vi..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Lw

via TweetDeck in reply to SnarkyPlatypus

The railway embankment washout near Leura is going to take weeks to fix. It’s much bigger than it looked in the fir..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…rM

Sun plan, confirmed: As per attached, with a taxibustrain combination* planned to get me to Sydney Central at 1217…twitter.com/i/web/status/1…VF

via Twitter Web App in reply to stilgherrian

ChiefScientist My typical hangover morning also. Except my barf bowl is golden and the bear skin is a polar bear. twitter.com/theannagat/sta…

via Twitter for iPhone (retweeted on 8:29 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

ICYMI, me at @zdnetaustralia Wednesday: “Cuttlefish-inspired smart camouflage could make for sneakier soldiers”..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…of

ICYMI, me at @zdnetaustralia Tuesday: “Labor roasted over inconsistent stand on Australia’s encryption laws” zdnet.com/article/labor-…

@pseudomorph I have no idea what that is but nah you can’t have one.

via TweetDeck in reply to pseudomorph

IntlSpyMuseum Josephine Baker worked tirelessly for the French liberation during WWII. No one suspected her sheet music was cover..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…ll

via Sprout Social (retweeted on 7:27 AM, Feb 16th, 2020 via TweetDeck)

Sun plan, draft: Early but slow start; pack; taxibustrain to Sydney; lunch with a co-conspirator; laundry at the ho..twitter.com/i/web/status/1…26

It’s a grey start to Sunday in the Blue Mountains. pic.twitter.com/8HHsmjO8gW

Sunday. Plain background. Serrated edge. Smooth centre. Blink. Sunday.