My week of Monday 19 to Sunday 23 December 2018 was surprisingly busy. Instead of winding down as it approached Christmas, it wound back up with new things happening.
The weather was also wetter and, in the Blue Mountains at least, cooler than one might expect in the second half of December. I think we’ve broken something.
- “The 9pm Arch Window of the Prostate Examâ€, being The 9pm Edict episode 82, was posted on Thursday night. Itâ€™s also on Spreaker and SoundCloud. Once more my guest co-host was Nicholas Fryer. Please let me know what you think of this format.
- Australia’s encryption laws are ‘highly unlikely’ to dragoon employees in secret, ZDNet Australia, 17 December 2018. Note my careful choice of words there.
- Australian government lags UK in deploying DMARC email spoofing prevention, ZDNet Australia, 18 December 2018.
- At least nine global MSPs hit in APT10 attacks: ACSC, ZDNet Australia, 21 December 2018. MAPs are managed service providers, and Reuters is reporting that HP Enterprise and IBM are among the nine.
- Last Friday’s interview with ABC Radioâ€™s PM about YouTubeâ€™s attempts to get rid of hate speech was turned into a written story on Monday, YouTube removes 58 million videos featuring hateful or inappropriate content
- On Friday I was mentioned in one of PewDiePie’s video rants, WSJ apologizes to PEWDIEPIE!. I’m not sure how I should feel about this. It’s at the 16m30s mark, should you care.
The Week Ahead
Monday is Christmas Eve. I’ll be finishing the first draft of a policy paper I’m writing for an American organisation, as well as heading down to Sydney in the afternoon for a week of cat-sitting in Ashfield.
Christmas Day and Boxing Day will actually be public holidays for me this year. I plan to be extremely lazy.
On Thursday and Friday I’ll take advantage of the quiet period to restructure how I plan and organise my work. It’s all about migrating to new software, data wrangling, and setting up new processes. I’m determined to start 2019 with better personal organisation.
At this stage I’m due to return to the Blue Mountains on Saturday. I intend to have a relatively lazy weekend, but I suspect I’ll end up doing household chores.
The following week begins with New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. I haven’t decided how to spend them yet.
The rest of the week will be an attempt to start planning for 2019. Wish me luck, because I have nothing scheduled in yet.
[Photo: Naked Building. The AMP Centre at 50 Bridge Street near Sydney’s Circular Quay is being redeveloped as part of the Quay Quarter Sydney precinct As this view from Young Street shows, it’s being stripped right back. Photographed on 17 December 2018.]