Monday 6 to Sunday 12 May 2019 was quite a productive week, despite cancelling Friday to avoid coming down with a cold. It’s also been fun watching the chaos of Australia’s federal election campaign. Enough said.
- “The 9pm Arch Window of the Unlawful Use of an Egg”, being The 9pm Edict episode 86 with Nicholas Fryer. It’s also on Spreaker and SoundCloud.
SPECIAL CHARITY DEAL: Half of all your tips past the first $400 will be donated to the Black Dog Institute, to help them help you cope with the resulting depression. Please throw a few coins into the tip jar.
This deal runs until whenever the ABC’s Antony Green calls the election on 18 May. That’s six days away.
- Australiaâ€™s cybersecurity chief Alastair MacGibbon resigns, ZDNet Australia, 6 May 2019.
- Cybersecurity basics still the key for preventing business email compromise, ZDNet Australia, 10 May 2019.
Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
The Week Ahead
It’s a busy one, though Monday will be an easy-paced but jumbled mix of administrivia, research, story pitches, and the like.
Tuesday is a Sydney day, with back repairs in Darlinghurst, the Lowy Institute discussion From coups to crises: where next for Thailand? at lunchtime, some social bits and pieces, and then Gleebooks in Glebe for James Jeffrey and Jon Kudelka, The Wonks’ Dictionary, in Conversation with Antony Green. I’ll stay in Sydney overnight.
Wednesday and Thursday had better be about writing, or my revenue is screwed.
On Friday afternoon I’ll be down in Sydney for various bits and pieces, staying overnight in Wolli Creek. That’s mostly so I’ll be in Sydney for an election night party on Saturday, but I haven’t explored rapidly changing Wolli Creek before, so that’s my plan for Saturday afternoon.
I’ll be on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane soon. First for the AusCERT Cybersecurity Conference on the Gold Coast, 29â€“31 May, then in Brisbane through to 4 June for some podcast recording or the like.
Beyond that, here’s a very partial list of some conferences and other events that I’m planning to attend. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickers.
- The Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) conference War in 2025, Canberra, 12â€“14 June 2019 (TBC).
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit, Sydney, 19â€“20 August 2019.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8â€“10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event.