This week of Monday 27 January to Sunday 2 February 2020 seems to have been my actual start of the year. I got some writing done. I got a three-hour podcast done. And I didn’t die in the heat when I went for a quiet drink.
- â€œThe 9pm Totally Convincing Official Truth Theories Liveâ€, being The 9pm Edict episode 95. Itâ€™s also on Spreaker and SoundCloud. This is the utterly ridiculous three-hour livestream of conspiracy theories recorded on Saturday night.
The 9pm Edict podcast is supported by the generosity of its listeners. Please subscribe for special benefits or throw a few coins into the tip jar.
- AI and disinformation join nukes in the race for armageddon, ZDNet, 28 January 2020. This also appeared at ZDNet France as Etats-Unis et Chine, la course Ã l’IA ?.
- Home Affairs report reveals deeper problems with Australiaâ€™s encryption laws, ZDNet, 29 January 2020.
- Britain â€˜doing the wrong thingâ€™ by letting in Huawei 5G: former ASD officer, ZDNet, 31 January 2020.
Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
The Week Ahead
The Australian Parliament returns from holidays this week, and there’s bound to be plenty to write about. On Monday I’ll be mapping out a plan of attack, and writing some stuff through the week..
On Wednesday I’m heading down to Sydney for a lunchtime briefing from Bitdefender, back repairs, and the discussion of Australia-China relations: The state of play at the Australia-China Relations Institute and the University of Technology Sydney. I’ll bne staying in Sydney overnight
Here’s what I’ve pencilled in. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets if it’s outside the Sydney region.
- The United States’ interests in the Indo-Pacific, an address by Admiral Philip Davidson, 25th Commander of the United States Indo-Pacific Command, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 13 February 2020.
- APNIC 49 / APRICOT 2020, Melbourne, 18â€“21 February 2020. I’ll be staying in Melbourne through to 25 February and may schedule in a podcast. Stay tuned..
- Cat-sitting, Sydney, 6â€“15 March 2020.
- Ethics of data science conference 2020, Sydney, 25â€“27 March 2020.
- Australian Cyber Conference, Canberra, 6â€“7 May 2020 (TBC).
- AusCERT 2020 Cyber Security Conference, Gold Coast, 2â€“5 June 2020 (TBC).
- Australian Cyber Conference, Melbourne, 27-29 October 2020 (TBC).
[Photo: Alexandra Hotel, Leura, photographed on 31 January 2020.]