The week of Monday 10 to Sunday 16 February 2020 was wet. I lost a day clearing up after the weekend rainstorms, but I still got a couple of things written, and a lot of planning done. And a nice long Sunday lunch.
I didn’t make it to Sydney for the Lowy Institute event, The United States’ interests in the Indo-Pacific, an address by Admiral Philip Davidson, 25th Commander of the United States Indo-Pacific Command. But here’s the podcast.
- Labor roasted over inconsistent stand on Australiaâ€™s encryption laws, ZDNet, 11 February 2020. I find myself agreeing with Senator Eric Abetz. End times.
- Cuttlefish-inspired smart camouflage could make for sneakier soldiers, ZDNet, 12 February 2020.
- On Thursday, my ZDNet piece on bushfire disinformation was cited by America Latina en Movimiento in the story Australia arde: Â¿AntropogÃ©nesis o cambio climÃ¡tico?.
Podcasts, Corporate Largesse
The Week Ahead
The week will be spent in Melbourne. I’m flying down on Monday afternoon for the APNIC 49 / APRICOT 2020 conference, which runs Tuesday to Friday, then staying on for the weekend and through to the following Tuesday 25 February.
This event is the next in the series after APNIC 48 in Chiang Mai, Thailand, in September 2019. That generated three stories.
- Suspected Commonwealth Games DDoS was only a Fortnite update, ZDNet, 11 September 2019.
- â€˜Screaming car wreckâ€™ of internet routing needs a fire brigade: Geoff Huston, ZDNet, 13 September 2019.
- Dear network operators, please use the existing tools to fix security, ZDNet, 23 September 2019.
As you can see, I’ve started to add in quite a few public seminars and the like. Eventually I’ll add in some podcasts and such,.
- The 9pm Edict podcast recording with Fiona Patten MLC, Melbourne, 24 February 2020. The podcast will be posted by the end of that week. She’s been on the podcast before.
- Jonathan Pie’s 2020 Fake News Tour, Enmore Theatre, Sydney, 29 February 2020.
- Leadership for good: combating viral panic, misinformation and racism, Sydney, 2 March 2020.
- What are the right encryption laws for Australia?, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 5 March 2020.
- Cat-sitting, Sydney, 6â€“15 March 2020.
- Book launch: Contest for the Indo-Pacific: Why China wonâ€™t map the future, by Rory Medcalf, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 10 March 2020.
- Indonesia: A tough road ahead, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 16 March 2020.
- Australiaâ€™s place in the world: a conversation with rising politicians Peter Khalil and Dave Sharma, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 17 March 2020.
- Ethics of data science conference 2020, Sydney, 25â€“27 March 2020.
- Australian Cyber Conference, Canberra, 6â€“7 May 2020 (TBC).
- AusCERT 2020 Cyber Security Conference, Gold Coast, 2â€“5 June 2020 (TBC).
- Australian Cyber Conference, Melbourne, 27-29 October 2020 (TBC).
Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets if it’s outside the Sydney region, yeah?
[Photo: Shredded Rose. The remnants of a heritage rose flower, much damaged by the weekend’s rainstorms, at the Alexandra Hotel, Leura, on 6 February 2020.]