Monday 28 February to Sunday 6 March 2022 was another week of wet weather in eastern Australia with more floods and a general air of depression. That said, I don’t have much to complain about personally.
On Tuesday I launched my latest Pozible crowdfunding campaign, The 9pm Autumn Series 2022.
It’s the kind of thing you’re already used to. You can simply pledge a tip, or you can buy TRIGGER WORDS or even a whole CONVERSATION TOPIC.
I know there’s a lot happening in the world right now, but if you can spare a few dollars I’d be most grateful.
At the time of writing we’re just tickling 25% of the way to Target One with 11 days to go.
- The 9pm Tweaking of the Incompetent Brain Implants with Justin Warren, recorded back on 17 February but edited and posted this Sunday. This wraps up the Summer Series of the Edict.
The 9pm EdictÂ is supported by the generosity of its listeners. Please consider supporting the campaign just mentioned. You have until Thursday 17 March 2022 at 9pm AEDT.
- The photos in theÂ Waratah sequence 2021 now span 187 days. There’s been little progress in the past week, and the wet weather continues, so I’m not sure long we’ll be in what feels like a holding pattern.
Articles, Videos, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to an email compilation of any new stories each Sunday morning.
You can subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified when new videos appear.
I’ve been avoiding getting too deep into the coverage of the Russia-Ukraine war for various reasons. However one of my few daily reads is from a man currently styling himself as Major General (just retired!) Mick Ryan. His most recent gig was as head of the Australian War College.
He’s posting his analysis on Twitter daily, and I’ve been making sure they’re in Threadreader and the Internet Archive — although others have usually done it before I have. Here’s the first 10 days.
- My initial thoughts, noting the current lack of clarity & abundance of ambiguity.
- Hard to believe it is only 2 days since the invasion began.
- Three days since the invasion began.
- Four days since the invasion began.
- Five days since the Russian conquest of #Ukraine began.
- Six days since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began.
- Seven days since the Russian conquest of Ukraine began.
- Eight days since the Russian invasion of #Ukraine began.
- Nine days since the Russian conquest of Ukraine began.
- Ten days since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began.
- Another useful analysis of the war is Putinâ€™s War: The Daily Ukraine Brief.
- “This is a thread that will explain the implied poor Russian Army truck maintenance practices based on this photo of a Pantsir-S1 wheeled gun-missile system’s right rear pair of tires below and the operational implications during the Ukrainian mud season.”
- “Yes, all the things in the original thread are valid, but these Chinese tires simply don’t have the load ratings needed for equipment like what’s shown. They are poorly-constructed and barely-inspected truck radials. The equivalent Michelin product is inspected and x-rayed (!!!).”
Apart from the war…
- Matt Bevan has another fantastic documentary podcast series, Australia, If You’re Listening. “As we approach a federal election where climate and energy is a key battleground, this eight-episode series will examine how Australia wasted decades fighting change, instead of capitalising on it.”
- Now that Neighbours is going to end, you might like to check this out: Here Are The 22 Most Batshit Neighbours Storylines Ever Now That Ramsay St Is Closed For Good.
- And for a final piece of joy, a one-hour comedy performance, Bill Bailey: Larks In Transit At Royal Opera House.
The Week Ahead
My main themes continue to be the SEKRIT geek-work that I’m slowly plodding through, and possibly some writing for ZDNet.
On Monday I’ll try to catch Scott Morrison speaking at the Lowy Institute at lunchtime, and later in the day another session in The Sydney Dialog from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, Who Works? The Crisis of Automation in the Indo-Pacific.
On Tuesday morning there’s a panel from the United States Studies Centre, Is Russia’s invasion of Ukraine a turning point for all US allies or just NATO?, but I’ll have to watch the recording later because reasons.
And on Thursday Anthony Albanese is speaking at the Lowy Institute.
Friday is a Sydney day for various errands and social things.
On the weekend I might produce a solo episode of the Edict, or I might just take it easy.
- Wrap up The 9pm Autumn Series 2022 crowdfunder, 17 March 2022.
- Aaron Chen at the Enmore Theatre, 5 May 2022.
- Nigel Ng’s The Haiyaa World Tour, Enmore Theatre, 9 June 2022.
[Photo: Washed-out track at Bunjaree Cottages. After days of rain, one of the tracks leading to Bunjaree Cottages is still sodden. Photographed on 4 March 2022.]