I did a lot of sleeping during my week of Monday 10 to Sunday 16 October 2022 but I’m not sure why. However there was a brief break in this year’s near-continual presence of La NiÃ±a and that made for a pleasant change.
One might have thought I’d be sick of photographing waratah flowers after that massive series of photos last season, but this critter at Bunjaree Cottages looked so cute in the rain the other day I just couldn’t resist.
- Digital developments from Canberra 9, 14 October 2022. This weekâ€™s big-ticket items are public service reform, the new post-Optus telco regulations, robodebt, and a bunch of audit-related activities.
You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to an email compilation of any new stories each Sunday morning.
Podcasts, Photos, Videos, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
None of any of these things. You can subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified when new videos appear.
- From Eric Schlosser, author of the excellent books Command and Control and Gods of Metal about the US nuclear weapons establishment comes a cheery article, What if Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine?.
- I haven’t watched it yet but I’m told it’s brilliant. Jonathan Meades’ Bunkers Brutalism and Bloodymindedness: Concrete Poetry, a two part documentary from 2014 on brutalism. Here’s part one and part two.
- A documentary I have checked out is another in the brilliant Rear Vision series from ABC Radio, The Commonwealth â€” relic of empire of or society of equals?.
- More history, this time from Adelaide, and from a time when I was working for the ABC and was briefed on what actually went down. “The South Australian police force took a big hit when the head of its drug squad, Barry Moyse, was sentenced to 20 years jail in 1988 for supplying drugs, including heroin, he had confiscated from dealers.”
- ‘Jackâ€™s Slides’: Fabulous Found Photos Of Private ‘Tea’ Parties At 1960s Drag Clubs.
The Week Ahead
It’s Aussie Bird Count week, so I’ll be taking plenty of 20-minute breaks to count birds. Science! You should join me. You just know Iâ€™ll post my counts on Twitter, right?
On Tuesday night we start into the final five films in Bond on Tuesday with the first in the Daniel Craig era, Casino Royale (2006). Find a stream and get ready at 8.30pm AEDT. We press PLAY at 8.40pm.
Thursday sees a Sydney day-trip for a variety of reasons, including lunch with a co-conspirator.
Some time in the second half of the week Iâ€™ll produce another episode of The 9pm Edict podcast, but I havenâ€™t figured out the details yet. Yes I know I said that last week but plans changed.
- Federal Budget, 25 October 2022.
- Record The 9pm Edict podcast with David F Porteous, 26 October 2022. If you’re a supporter with TRIGGER WORDS or a CONVERSATION TOPIC then please get them to me by 8pm AEDT on Tuesday 25 October.
- NetThing: Australia’s Internet Community Forum, online, 27â€“28 October 2022. You can now register online and the program looks really good.
- Record The 9pm Edict podcast with H I Sutton of Covert Shores, November date TBA.
- Victoria state election, 26 November 2022. I’m sure I’ll do something special.
- Everything Open, Melbourne, 14â€“16 March 2023 (TBA).
- NSW state election, 25 March 2023.
- The Sydney Dialogue, Australian Strategic Policy Institute, 4â€“5 April 2023.
- Coronation of Charles III, 6 May 2023, although I have no idea what I’ll actually do about it.
[Photo: A NSW waratah flower (Telopea speciosissima) photographed at Bunjaree Cottages on 2 October 2022.]