I was sleeping for much of my week of Monday 17 to Sunday 23 July 2023, battling some random lurgi. There’s not much new to report, therefore, so I’ve brought you an old photo of a muddy patch of land. Very excitement.
- Digital developments from Canberra 45. It’s the midwinter break in Canberra, but the government still found time to stand down robodebt’s main villain, and spend way to much money on IT systems.
You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to an email compilation of any new stories each Sunday morning.
Podcasts, Videos, Photos, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
None of these again this week. You can subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified when new videos appear.
Was it quarterly earnings call time? Because Elon Musk said some things which were even dafter than usual.
- Steven Levy discusses Elon Musk’s Grand xAI Plans.
- Elon Musk’s best idea for stopping spambots is making you pay for extra Twitter DMs, because he’s a fuckwit.
- Elon Musk Got $18 Billion Poorer Thursday As Tesla Stock Faltered.
- “Elon Musk Reportedly Used Millions of Dollars in Tesla Funds To Secretly Build Himself A Literal Glass House — After Famously Saying He ‘Will Own No House’.”
- Elon Musk says Twitter to change logo, adieu to ‘all the birds’, because he’s wanting to shift to the X branding. “If a good enough X logo is posted tonight, we’ll make go live worldwide tomorrow,” he tweeted.
- And finally, Twitter Vs. Threads Vs. Shouting Into A Hole.
In other news:
- New snake just dropped! New venomous species of snake commonly found in Central Australia discovered through genetic testing.
- 2,000-year-old curry: scientists discover evidence of ancient recipe in south-east Asia. Or if you prefer reading the full paper, Earliest curry in Southeast Asia and the global spice trade 2000 years ago.
- Do you need to wash rice before cooking? Here’s the science, and what is bound to be some controversy.
- Those Vintage Photos of Scandinavian Airlines Meals Are Real. “Caviar, turtle soup, and lobster were just the start of one of the many dinner service menus from the past once offered by Scandinavian Airlines.”
The Week Ahead
It’s very much a catch-up week for client work. Indeed, I’ll be scoping out a whole new project for one client — although careful readers might note that I said that last week as well.. I’m hoping I won’t be quite so sleepy this week.
Thursday will be this week’s day trip to Sydney. As for the weekend, who knows?
- Aaron Chen’s Chen & Friends, Enmore Theatre, 18 August 2023.
- NetThing Internet Governance Forum, Brisbane and online, 28 August 2023 (TBC).
- APNIC 56, Kyoto and online, 12–14 September 2023. I very much doubt that I’ll be going to Japan, but this is always such a good conference (TBC).
[Photo: The site of the old freight depot in Lilyfield, Sydney, in the early stages of being converted into a new light rail depot, photographed on 21 July 2016.]